Walking down the Halbeath Road

Superally

I have been a Par for most of my 54yrs. I was a Celtic supporter, but probably only because my father was a Rangers supporter. I was converted when my father was persuaded to take me to my first game at East End Park by my Uncle who was a Pars die hard. They both took me to watch the Pars v Celtic in 1968 partly because although my father was a Rangers man he thought Jimmy Johnstone was the greatest player in the world. I was 7yrs old and can’t remember much about the game but I do remember fans standing on the roof and on the floodlights. My Uncle bought me a black & white scarf and that was it, I was a Par ever since. I have seen the best of the Pars and the worst. I remember the dark days under managers such as Stanton, Forsyth and Scott but they have always been superseded with magical eras under Leishman, Paton and hopefully AJ. I have seen unforgettable cup finals, but never came away disappointed we didn’t win. I remember being part of the crowd welcoming the Pars home in ‘68 down the High Street. Far too many great players to mention but none were greater than Winker & Norrie. The greatest game - far too many to call in my time but for me there was a standout in the Clydebank game after Norrie passed away. Craig Robertson had the courage to step up as Captain and score “the goal” in the manner that Norrie would have been proud. I have been a season ticket holder for many years and am delighted that my son is one as well. We all have our own special memories that draws us to the magic within this club and forever “Walking down the Halbeath Road”. COYP

Archived