New Signing

Yorkie

15 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

"They have already let Grant sign Leon Jones, Rhys Breen and Ross Graham in that position."

Rhys Breen hasn't featured for various Covid and injury related reasons, Leon Jones has barely featured and Graham mightn't feature again. 

Maybe they see promise in Jones but want to loan him out until January?  Maybe they think Breen needs more time to challenge for a starting place?  Maybe Graham is going back to Utd with a view to loaning him back to Cove?  I don't know.  However,  it seems like Connolly was a fairly regular starter for United in the Premier League, got a bad injury and is struggling to get game time at the moment.  He's only here for 3 months and if he's available and better than what we have, then it makes sense. 

If he does well, we climb the league and he goes back to Utd, it will be easier to bring guys like Breen and Jones in to a side with a bit of confidence.

Rhys breen should be available for selection in October,he has had a hard time of it but he is now back in training and hopefully see what standard he is soon.

Leon Jones was signed to be competing for a first team place and has had two starts so far but didnt impress me much at Ayr away thought he was to blame for their first goal. He only has a 1 year contract so wouldnt be much point in loaning him out? Maybe a loan to league one until January and then he will replace Connolly when he returns to United?

Ross Graham isn't at this level yet best thing for him would be to return to Dundee United. There must be potential in Graham otherwise he wouldnt have got a 4 year deal and he was highly rated at cove. The boy needs to step down a level and build up his confidence again.

Connolly is maybe a replacement for Paul Watson,I know Watson wasnt enjoying playing under Grant and is now maybe wanting to leave.

Peter Grant has signed some utter dross for us so far and some of them are on 2 year contracts. Mehmet is probably the worst goalkeeper I have seen at east end and that's including Chris Smith. Had he not only made 29 appearances before signing for us? That should have set the alarm bells ringing. 

Graham Dorrans has started to improve the last few games but still dont think his performances merit a 2 year deal with us. I dont think he has the legs to last till may 2023.

Connolly might prove to play a vital role in the team but if I was on the board I wouldnt have let grant spend any more of the budget, he has wasted enough already on rubbish.

Meggle maybe has to take the blame for some of these signings aswell?

2 hours ago, rosythpar said:

Graham Dorrans has started to improve the last few games but still dont think his performances merit a 2 year deal with us. I dont think he has the legs to last till may 2023.

Can't agree on this at all. At one point in the second half before he got injured, Kennedy (i think) got caught up the park and the ball was cleared out to our left with their winger getting a head start. He sprinted a full 30 yards beating their winger for pace and kept the ball. His legs are fine.

Also, I'm not sure you can say he has signed rubbish and lump Connolly in with that. He had a good game last night I thought, despite giving the ball away for the goal as that was down to Todorov, and lead, organised and marshalled not only the defence but the midfield too. 

• Upvote 3

"Connolly might prove to play a vital role in the team but if I was on the board I wouldnt have let grant spend any more of the budget, he has wasted enough already on rubbish."

I don't know the process behind signing the players.  I'm guessing it's neither 100% Grant or 100% Meggle.  Point I was making is that we need results now.  If it was deemed that Connolly could come straight in and help achieve that, it's a good move.  If Jones has a future, it might do him no harm to be loaned out for 3 months also (if we can do that) and see if he can get some game time.  He could potentially challenge for a place in January if he does well.  Just because he has a 1-year deal, doesn't mean he'll not be here next season.

Agree on Ross Graham.  He must have something, and he's done well in league 2, then league 1.  The idea was likely for him to kick on further this year with a Championship team and probably challenge for Utd's first team next season.  It's gone badly wrong and the logical thing is for him to re-group and go and play in league 1 again.  It's all too toxic for him to come back into our side any time soon.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Digs said:

Can't agree on this at all. At one point in the second half before he got injured, Kennedy (i think) got caught up the park and the ball was cleared out to our left with their winger getting a head start. He sprinted a full 30 yards beating their winger for pace and kept the ball. His legs are fine.

Also, I'm not sure you can say he has signed rubbish and lump Connolly in with that. He had a good game last night I thought, despite giving the ball away for the goal as that was down to Todorov, and lead, organised and marshalled not only the defence but the midfield too. 

I wasnt meaning Connolly was rubbish, I meant Grant has already signed 3 centre backs and two of them haven't been up to championship standard. Why should the board give him more money to spend on that position when he isn't getting the best out of the ones he signed?

Connolly had a good game last night.

That's one example of dorrans but I have seen him play every game and he looks off the pace at times, he shouldnt have even been playing when he first signed for us wasnt match ready but that was Grant's call. A one year deal would have been fine for dorrans not two.

I thought it was strange to pitch Dorrans in straight away against Morton.  I actually thought he came on to a good game and it made sense to keep him in the side against Thistle.  He was awful in that game but then so was Reece Cole - and just about everyone else.  I think he's been steadily improving but he needs the team functioning well around him.

Re Connolly, maybe it's just a no-brainer?  If Grant wanted to sign some 21 year old centre back from Montrose or Peterhead (purely for example, I know not if they have such a player), the board might have pointed to Graham not working out and Jones being available but not used and then questioned why they should take a punt on someone else with "potential".  Instead, we've gone for a 29 year old who has won the Scottish Championship, played 60 odd games in the Premier League and 150+ games in English League 1 and 2.  The risk that he can't hold his own at this level is far smaller.

• Upvote 2