Lifeline

Keyser Soze

1 hour ago, Piracy said:

I think it's not a good idea. Charlie D's was unofficially given to supporters on a match day to develop it as a socially inclusive bar where we (fans) brought in (and paid for) live music every home game. The intention is to get that reinstated as soon as we can get into a rhythm again regarding attending games. It's way more inclusive than any other part of the facilities pre-match in my opinion. I'd like to see it return and flourish under its former guise. 

The club need to do something to improve the matchday experience,something I thought the new owners would have been looking at when in Germany the whole matchday experience attracts a lot of people from the UK.

I know the costs would be an issue with bt and sky but it would definitely attract more people in for the early kick off and the 530 game. A lot of fans going in to the east port before heading along for the game or going in to coadys because they can get served quicker and a 10 minute walk to the ground.

Should be looking at using the bars for more events too, the rovers use the 200 club for quiz nights,q&a with former players etc,its extra revenue for the club.

I think they should also look at relaxing the rule of no away fans allowed in legends/Charlie D's. When we follow the pars away we get welcomed into teams social clubs like Buckie,Inverness,Forfar, Elgin etc. I understand not letting the old firm and Falkirk fans in but should allow other clubs fans in. We must be one of the only clubs in Scotland to not let away fans in.

• Upvote 2

One of the best (imo) things about German football matches is that outside the ground before the turnstiles open is that you can stand and have a beer outside.  Eintracht Braunschweig have a pop up that sells beer and the usual soft drinks (Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Mezzo etc) or you can buy your own booze and stand and drink that, the police are usually there in a decent number but are generally well natured.  Can't imagine that in Scotland. 

Wolfsburg don't have anywhere selling beer outside (that I noticed) but you can still stand outside and bevvy before the gates open. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, rosythpar said:

I think they should also look at relaxing the rule of no away fans allowed in legends/Charlie D's. When we follow the pars away we get welcomed into teams social clubs like Buckie,Inverness,Forfar, Elgin etc. I understand not letting the old firm and Falkirk fans in but should allow other clubs fans in. We must be one of the only clubs in Scotland to not let away fans in.

It's Police Scotland who determine what away supporters get into the clubs bars, Legends and Charlie D's pre-match. Some of the decisions are utter nonsense. 

I remember few seasons back there was 20 odd Morton supporters (mixed bunch) dropped off at the ground. We were having a fag outside Charlie D's and they asked if they were allowed in. G4S said no, we said 'aye, in you come'. In they come and whilst getting served the G4S employee ran to his Supervisor somewhere else in the ground. In G4S come, mob handed to shift them. We all remonstrated (peacefully) and they left the Morton fans alone. We were invited to their boozer next away game.

Visited an Ayr United boozer few times before the game in recent seasons, no issues at all. Also in recent times we booked into the Dundee United social club pre-match, absolutely no issues either. Both sets of fans drinking together. Even had a few renditions of anti-Rangers songs together 🙄🙄

Both examples of teams fans that Police Scotland prevented from entering our clubs facilities in recent years. Our game is years behind in a lot of respects and the SNP do not help at all. I think they've shown contempt toward our game over the years. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Piracy said:

It's Police Scotland who determine what away supporters get into the clubs bars, Legends and Charlie D's pre-match. Some of the decisions are utter nonsense. 

I remember few seasons back there was 20 odd Morton supporters (mixed bunch) dropped off at the ground. We were having a fag outside Charlie D's and they asked if they were allowed in. G4S said no, we said 'aye, in you come'. In they come and whilst getting served the G4S employee ran to his Supervisor somewhere else in the ground. In G4S come, mob handed to shift them. We all remonstrated (peacefully) and they left the Morton fans alone. We were invited to their boozer next away game.

Visited an Ayr United boozer few times before the game in recent seasons, no issues at all. Also in recent times we booked into the Dundee United social club pre-match, absolutely no issues either. Both sets of fans drinking together. Even had a few renditions of anti-Rangers songs together 🙄🙄

Both examples of teams fans that Police Scotland prevented from entering our clubs facilities in recent years. Our game is years behind in a lot of respects and the SNP do not help at all. I think they've shown contempt toward our game over the years. 

Agree about the police and snp piracy, they treat football fans like utter ****. Snp make laws against football fans to discriminate against them, obviously no longer a law but the fact it was even implemented is a joke

• Upvote 1

On 08/01/2022 at 20:54, Raymie said:

In the early 70s, Rangers offered £60k for Kenny Mackie. We turned it down. 

That's not strictly true. It was Mackie who turned down the move himself, he felt he wasn't ready.

On 09/01/2022 at 09:30, rosythpar said:

Did you not suggest the idea of a club membership scheme last season and was rejected by the club Oz?

The new CEO is going to have to revamp a lot at the club- Lifeline, hospitality, legends etc. I think it would be a good idea to make Charlie D's a members bar like the Rovers have the 200 club,pay a yearly membership and get bt or sky installed. Our match day hospitality and bars are mediocre compared to Kelty Hearts. I very rarely go to Legends nowadays,about 5 of us drink in coadys pre and post match now instead of legends and a few others are the same. 

Sorry, I can't agree. For one, the cost of Sky/BT is enormous for clubs, as in thousands per month. It's not worth the money it would bring in. Secondly, Legends used to be members only but at £35 a season with early access after games being the only perk, I didn;t see the benefit as they just let everyone in at full time anyway and it still took you ages to get served. It was a waste of money. 

I also disagree that it is miles behind Kelty. Kelty is like a good wee junior ground, which is a good thing btw, but it is nowhere near the standard a club our size in the championship should be aspiring to. Not even close. 

When the Paragon was open, membership was £1. This got punters in, but my Uncle Ernie who took it over, who sadly passed away at Christmas, took it on when it was a complete mess. He turned it round by turning it into a proper social club with pool, darts and football teams, dances for Christmas and New Year and other social events. It was also hired out as a venue, I had my 21st in there. It made the club a fortune. It was only when the club decided in their wisdom they could do it better by making it more 'commercial' that it failed. I'm not sure the uptake would be there again for that sort of thing. Social clubs are a bit of a dying breed nowadays.

I think we do need a proper commercial dept to drive this sort of stuff. My mum worked at the club doing the Pars lotto when Leish was the manager and also the commercial manager(!) and it was all about engaging with the community, and getting thigs on to grab attention. It wasn't necessarily about making money at those events but stirring up noise to make people curious and come along at other times and it worked brilliantly. I think we do this still with lots of great community clubs for the kids, Eddie's walks on a Friday etc, but we don't do enough to then monitize that exposure. 

On a final point about the lifeline and us being 'privately owned'. So are Hearts, and their version of it has raised literally millions for the club and continues to do so. They have a seat on the board as we do, through Drew Main, but the issue I have with that is that the only way to get your voice heard as far as I can tell, is to be part of the PST. I used to be, but for my own reasons choose not to be nowadays. Not everyone is, or wants to be part of the PST, and the only reason I know what he PST are up to is because I am still on the mailing list. That engagement with every fan, not just PST members (who pay for the privilege) needs to be increased IMO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

29 minutes ago, Digs said:

That's not strictly true. It was Mackie who turned down the move himself, he felt he wasn't ready.

Sorry, I can't agree. For one, the cost of Sky/BT is enormous for clubs, as in thousands per month. It's not worth the money it would bring in. Secondly, Legends used to be members only but at £35 a season with early access after games being the only perk, I didn;t see the benefit as they just let everyone in at full time anyway and it still took you ages to get served. It was a waste of money. 

I also disagree that it is miles behind Kelty. Kelty is like a good wee junior ground, which is a good thing btw, but it is nowhere near the standard a club our size in the championship should be aspiring to. Not even close. 

When the Paragon was open, membership was £1. This got punters in, but my Uncle Ernie who took it over, who sadly passed away at Christmas, took it on when it was a complete mess. He turned it round by turning it into a proper social club with pool, darts and football teams, dances for Christmas and New Year and other social events. It was also hired out as a venue, I had my 21st in there. It made the club a fortune. It was only when the club decided in their wisdom they could do it better by making it more 'commercial' that it failed. I'm not sure the uptake would be there again for that sort of thing. Social clubs are a bit of a dying breed nowadays.

I think we do need a proper commercial dept to drive this sort of stuff. My mum worked at the club doing the Pars lotto when Leish was the manager and also the commercial manager(!) and it was all about engaging with the community, and getting thigs on to grab attention. It wasn't necessarily about making money at those events but stirring up noise to make people curious and come along at other times and it worked brilliantly. I think we do this still with lots of great community clubs for the kids, Eddie's walks on a Friday etc, but we don't do enough to then monitize that exposure. 

On a final point about the lifeline and us being 'privately owned'. So are Hearts, and their version of it has raised literally millions for the club and continues to do so. They have a seat on the board as we do, through Drew Main, but the issue I have with that is that the only way to get your voice heard as far as I can tell, is to be part of the PST. I used to be, but for my own reasons choose not to be nowadays. Not everyone is, or wants to be part of the PST, and the only reason I know what he PST are up to is because I am still on the mailing list. That engagement with every fan, not just PST members (who pay for the privilege) needs to be increased IMO.

Can we not get u on the board digs 

• Upvote 1