Lewis Martin

rosythpar

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Hard to judge how Martin will be after this injury, but left back is one of our weakest positions. 

Disagree with that. Edwards is nowhere near one of our weakest players. Nothing like it, and I say that as someone who was critical of him for a long time. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Digs said:

Disagree with that. Edwards is nowhere near one of our weakest players. Nothing like it, and I say that as someone who was critical of him for a long time. 

Would honestly have him down as our worst regular starter. 

Can give the likes of McDonald slack because he's playing out of position, but Edwards is at best at league 1/2 full back, his weight of pass is consistently awful, constantly puts the receiving man either under pressure, or having to take more touches than what's needed. 

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Would honestly have him down as our worst regular starter. 

Can give the likes of McDonald slack because he's playing out of position, but Edwards is at best at league 1/2 full back, his weight of pass is consistently awful, constantly puts the receiving man either under pressure, or having to take more touches than what's needed. 

I agree his passing isn’t the best and it was the main thing I criticised him for as he used to give the ball away ALL the time.

I would also say though that if you’re a professional footballer that can’t control a ball fizzed into you, that’s your issue, not the passer. Indeed, it’s actively coached at any decent level that that is how you pass a ball. 

10 minutes ago, Digs said:

I agree his passing isn’t the best and it was the main thing I criticised him for as he used to give the ball away ALL the time.

I would also say though that if you’re a professional footballer that can’t control a ball fizzed into you, that’s your issue, not the passer. Indeed, it’s actively coached at any decent level that that is how you pass a ball. 

If the ball was fizzed in accurately I wouldn't call it a bad pass. 

However if its to the wrong foot, if its bouncing and bobbling or if you're a winger and you're having to massively break stride... 

We're never going to get the finished article obviously at this level but his passing is comparatively poor from what you'd expect at this level... I'd love him to Shaun Rooney it, but I actually quite enjoyed watching Rooney cut about. 

13 minutes ago, Grant said:

However if its to the wrong foot, if its bouncing and bobbling or if you're a winger and you're having to massively break stride... 

We're never going to get the finished article obviously at this level but his passing is comparatively poor from what you'd expect at this level... I'd love him to Shaun Rooney it, but I actually quite enjoyed watching Rooney cut about. 

Tbh if you can’t control a football that gets passed in on both feet then that’s worrying! 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Grant said:

Relatively speaking, I’m a diddy, and I can control, pass and shoot with both feet comfortably. I don’t accept the wrong foot nonsense from any footballer. 

If I can do it, anyone playing for a living should be able to do it. 

2 minutes ago, Digs said:

Relatively speaking, I’m a diddy, and I can control, pass and shoot with both feet comfortably. I don’t accept the wrong foot nonsense from any footballer. 

If I can do it, anyone playing for a living should be able to do it. 

I thought Grant was meaning wrong foot for receiving players body shape/position, rather that strong/weak foot?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, lambo1885 said:

I thought Grant was meaning wrong foot for receiving players body shape/position, rather that strong/weak foot?

Actually, having re-read it, I agree. As I said, his passing was always my biggest criticism of his but it’s way better than it was. 

My point stands on the weak foot thing though. One of my pet hates. 

• Upvote 1