Yogi Hughes is the new Manager

DougieDave

8 hours ago, Piracy said:

Some so called banter in years gone by was horrible. Racism, mysogoni, homophobic etc, you name it, all was fair game. But as a society let's not get to a stage where we're actively seeking things to be offended by. Comedy is supposed to challenge our beliefs, our own predijuces yadda yadda and so on. I've worked in the Dockyard most of my life and I've met some funny men and laughed a lot at some of the situations in the workplace. But no doubt a lot of people would not find some of the stuff funny. For instance best nickname  I remember was was a chap who's surname was Beveridge. Unfortunately he had a chronic drink problem so he was called "alcoholic Beveridge". Another example of 'cruel banter' (but I think funny) was a guy who also liked a drink and had one kidney. Now, he had been the recipient of that kidney through transplant. He was a moaning hoor and was reeking hygiene wise. One day sitting in the office, he moaned continually about the office door being open and how his kidney was cold. One of the guys eventually blurted out "what the f*ck you greeting aboot, it's no even yours". Again easy to find offence in stories like that if you chose to do so, just like it's easy to get offended with the (unsubstantiated) story/screenshot I had shoved up about Yogi advising a young player to salute him. It was meant to be funny, not a reflection on Yogi's moral character ffs. It's a bit of banter, at least that's my take.

The debate afterwards was both interesting but off on a tangent considering what the thread was about, but I couldn't be bothered debating it so I just read it. 

I think close knit groups of people in life like friend groups, groups of colleagues in workplaces, sports teams etc find it perfectly natural to make fun of one another, slag one another, it's life and a lot of what's said between them would offend others outside that group. A fitbaw dressing room is a loud boisterous place and things get said in there but I bet my house that within that group most love the atmosphere and cammeraderie it helps create. 

I like Yogi. He's someone I can relate to given I've grown up with guys like him. I think he's honest, outspoken, passionate, hard working, doesn't f*ck about but also has a fairly high degree of emotional intelligence when it comes to both social and self awareness. He'll know how to get the players motivated without offending them, I'm sure of that. 

I pretty much agree with you well put views and well done for the honesty. Most of us are capable of both giving and receiving banter those of us with a bit of intelligence and perception know the limit. I suspect Yogi has the ability to use his skills wisely. Let us get behind him and the team for the common goal.

• Upvote 3

Apparently in todays Courier, Shields said the new manager had brought a bit fun to the camp. Probably the lift everyone at the club needed. Nae shouting at half time either. Seems the board have chosen the right man for the job. He reminds me a bit of Leishman when he first took over, telling stories of Martin Luther King. He's without a doubt, an infectious character. Let's gub Ayr.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scottyboy said:

Apparently in todays Courier, Shields said the new manager had brought a bit fun to the camp. Probably the lift everyone at the club needed. Nae shouting at half time either. Seems the board have chosen the right man for the job. He reminds me a bit of Leishman when he first took over, telling stories of Martin Luther King. He's without a doubt, an infectious character. Let's gub Ayr.

Amen, I have a decent feeling about this. I feel that we may end up with a Kenny Dalgleish/Scott Brown situation when he goes from the dark side to the light and becomes a Pars boy

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Boston Red Sox said:

Amen, I have a decent feeling about this. I feel that we may end up with a Kenny Dalgleish/Scott Brown situation when he goes from the dark side to the light and becomes a Pars boy

Never bothered me he played for Falkirk. I remember he always gave his all. A bit like Andy Smith at Airdrie, although I hated Smiths diving for the penalties back then. He never dived for us 😆

He will have all the fans onside in no time.

Hopefully we see a bit of momentum now regarding players really starting to gel as a team.

Going to be really interesting to see the real effect of Yogi's first full game in charge against air on Saturday. Another victory would be amazing being honest. 

There's always hope. 

2 hours ago, scottyboy said:

Never bothered me he played for Falkirk. I remember he always gave his all. A bit like Andy Smith at Airdrie, although I hated Smiths diving for the penalties back then. He never dived for us 😆

He will have all the fans onside in no time.

Never bothered me either, He was always in Super John Watson's back pocket 😉 

1 hour ago, Piracy said:

Hopefully we see a bit of momentum now regarding players really starting to gel as a team.

Going to be really interesting to see the real effect of Yogi's first full game in charge against air on Saturday. Another victory would be amazing being honest. 

There's always hope. 

Talking about the Ayr game on Saturday, will Charlie D's be open ?