Bertie Auld (D)

Superally

2 hours ago, Digs said:

Never seen him play but by all accounts he was an absolute gentleman. Lots of stories going round this weekend about him talking to fans for ages and helping them out without being asked.

He was a top player, Digs and great company according to a journalist friend of mine. 

"He was a cracking player and a very witty chap. His wee brother co-wrote a play called The Lions of Lisbon about the lengths the fans went to to get there. It was out just before the 25th anniversary in 1992 and I was blessed to be asked by the features editor of The Scotsman to get a Lion to go see it with me and then take him out fo dinner. I asked Big Billy and him and his wife came and were brilliant, had time for everyone. About half past midnight I quite literally pinched myself as I was sitting with them in their favourite Italian restaurant and Billy was still telling stories. One of the best nights of my life, so I salute the Auld brothers once again."

He cast aside all niceties and put himself about on pitch though. Jim Fraser was the recipient of a horrendous tackle in the 1968 SC 3rd round tie at Parkhead. The Pars famously beat the EC holders 2-0 and went on to lift the trophy but Fraser missed out as a result of the injury he sustained. Alex Edwards was another Par on the wrong end of a meaty Auld tackle, also at Parkhead. He was exerting a lot of influence on the game, but was reduced to a hobbling passenger and the Pars lost 2-1 after taking a half time lead. 

Auld is the type of player you'd love to have in your team and hate as an opponent. 

R.I.P. Bertie.

• Upvote 1