Scotland

Superally

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze said:

You can only beat what’s in front of you but that was a Danish side here for a **** up. There was little doubt Scotland were going to win that game relatively comfortably. 

Hardly, the squad was on £100k a man to win the group on maximum points. They did have about 5 players out though, but then so did we in having key players missing too.

The only reason they looked as poor as they did in the first half was due to the energy and tempo we played at, they did not like us being in their faces and it was evident by the way they came out second half. Even then, they only played in front of us becasue our organisation was so good. I was sitting behind the goals, bang in the middle and so had a good view of our set up for the whole match. It was as compact, organised and as disciplined as I've seen a Scotland team. It only started to get ragged when we started to tire near the end. 

It was an exceptional Scotland performance similar to the England game at the Euros in terms of teamwork and effort, but this time, we actually took some of our chances. In the end, it could have been more. 

43 minutes ago, Digs said:

The only reason they looked as poor as they did in the first half was due to the energy and tempo we played at,  

Correct. Scotland were right in the Danes faces because they actually required something from the game. The Danes almost couldn’t care less. It was a decent performance but any one of the sides in the group, excluding Moldova, would’ve turned the Danes over in the same circumstances. 

I was certain this very average Scotland team would turn over a Denmark side who were always going to be phoning it in. In fact, I had money on 2-0 Scotland. 

Great to see us developing our confidence as a national team and the support responding. 

Only thing that annoyed me was the match being shown on Sky and it was the England game that was on STV. Commercial decisions I suppose. 

Maybe it's my fault for being a tech hoor and cancelling Sky Sports. 

1 hour ago, Piracy said:

Great to see us developing our confidence as a national team and the support responding. 

Only thing that annoyed me was the match being shown on Sky and it was the England game that was on STV. Commercial decisions I suppose. 

Maybe it's my fault for being a tech hoor and cancelling Sky Sports. 

blame the SFA for that

• Upvote 2

I see the WC qualifying picture is a lot clearer. Scotland will play a one off semi-final at Hampden against either Austria, Czech Republic, N. Macedonia, Poland, Turkey or Ukraine. All tough but beatable opponents, imo. 

With a bit of luck,the draw might throw up another home draw if we get through where the likes of Italy, Portugal, Russia, Sweden and Wales may be waiting. Norn Iron, showed how far effort and commitment can take a team with a passionate home support behind them, against the European champions. With a bit of composure in front of goal, they could have won it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

I see the WC qualifying picture is a lot clearer. Scotland will play a one off semi-final at Hampden against either Austria, Czech Republic, N. Macedonia, Poland, Turkey or Ukraine. All tough but beatable opponents, imo. 

With a bit of luck,the draw might throw up another home draw if we get through where the likes of Italy, Portugal, Russia, Sweden and Wales may be waiting. Norn Iron, showed how far effort and commitment can take a team with a passionate home support behind them, against the European champions. With a bit of composure in front of goal, they could have won it.

I've always said we can beat anyone at Hampden and our record there backs that up, we've hardly lost a game there in qualifiers in recent years. Out of that I'd like to see it be Austria, Czechs or North Macedonia, even Ukraine. Turkey are a jekyll and Hyde team who are more than beatable but when they turn up, they are decent. Poland also have Lewandowski, but when we had them a few years ago, we chucked both games. 

Looking beyond that is pointless tbh, as you don't know what the other fixtures will be but you ideally want one of the above ones I mentioned to get through somehow and for us to get a home tie for the ideal scenario. Whoever we get will be a really tough game regardless.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Digs said:

I've always said we can beat anyone at Hampden and our record there backs that up, we've hardly lost a game there in qualifiers in recent years. Out of that I'd like to see it be Austria, Czechs or North Macedonia, even Ukraine. Turkey are a jekyll and Hyde team who are more than beatable but when they turn up, they are decent. Poland also have Lewandowski, but when we had them a few years ago, we chucked both games. 

Looking beyond that is pointless tbh, as you don't know what the other fixtures will be but you ideally want one of the above ones I mentioned to get through somehow and for us to get a home tie for the ideal scenario. Whoever we get will be a really tough game regardless.

It's been suggested on dotnet that FIFA will ensure that Russia and Ukraine cannot meet in the final tie, due to the considerable tensions between the two. This may have ramifications for Scotland, as it may increase the chances of drawing Italy or Portugal assuming all three get through their semi-finals.

35 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

It's been suggested on dotnet that FIFA will ensure that Russia and Ukraine cannot meet in the final tie, due to the considerable tensions between the two. This may have ramifications for Scotland, as it may increase the chances of drawing Italy or Portugal assuming all three get through their semi-finals.

How do they do that without every other team complaining? If they do draw each other, it would be a neutral venue, it's been done before with other eastern European states where there was conflict.

5 minutes ago, Digs said:

How do they do that without every other team complaining? If they do draw each other, it would be a neutral venue, it's been done before with other eastern European states where there was conflict.

Unfortunately, FIFA have previous when it comes to bending over backwards to avoid political conflicts. Israel play in the European tournaments to avoid their Arab neighbours, Kosovo are not paired with their Slav neighbours and Gibraltar are kept away from Spain. There are past examples such as N. and S. Korea.