Disgrace of Gijón

Deutsch Par

A question for the older posters on the forum.  What do you remember about this when West Germany and Austria played out a mutually beneficial 1-0 win for the Germans in the 1982 World Cup at the expense of Algeria? 

I have read that the German commentator stopped commentating, the Austrian commentator told viewers to change the channel and the Spanish media published the result in the crime section of the newspaper. 

Also noted that the referee was Scottish (Bob Valentine).  That must have been a really weird game to officiate. 

FIFA said that there was no corruption involved but in later World Cups, final group games had to kick off at the same time...  🤔

I've only ever seen video of it. It was blatantly obvious what was happening, the pace of play was literally walking football, with the ball being passed side to side 5 yards apart, and no tackling. It was literally less than a training session. 

I'm sure it would be on youtube somewhere.

I think technically, FIFA were right in that no money changed hands but it was essentially match fixing and blatant cheating to achieve a mutually beneficial end.

• Upvote 1

FIFA took no action because they said that neither team broke any rules - there's nothing in the rules which says a team is obliged to try and win or score goals etc. but it's clear that both teams were happy with the 1-0 for W.Germany, meaning both went through. Algeria went out as a result and few were upset about it. FIFA arranging all last group games to kick off simultaneously after Spain 82, was an admission that they knew that skullduggery had taken place.

• Upvote 2

The problem is that a team's goal at a tournament is to win the tournament, not necessarily to win every game.

And there are circumstances where trying to win a match can be counter to the team's ultimate goal - different scenario (and I may have some details wrong), but I remember a few years back that Hibs had a chance of getting a UEFA Cup spot if they finished (I think) 5th in the league, but only if Rangers won the league and the Scottish Cup (otherwise the cup runners up would get the spot). And Hibs were playing Rangers in the league - so, it would have been better for them in the long run to let Rangers win, so they would have more chance to win the league and thus get Hibs that UEFA spot.

I remember discussing it on the other forum about whether it'd be morally wrong to do so or not. I'm not sure it's all that clear cut either way.

In the end I think Hibs horsed them anyway, so fair enough. But I wouldn't have blamed them for playing the long game for their ultimate best interest.

As for that Sweden 2-2 Denmark game, I must respectfully opine that I watched that game and it didn't seem fixed even for a second, was a really good match.

I remember watching the West Germany-Austria farce, there was no attempt by either team to disguise what they were doing. It was disgraceful and Algeria have every right to feel hard done by - they had already beaten West Germany and Chile, but lost to Austria. All three teams finished with 4 points and Algeria lost out on Goal difference

In their defence, is it any different morally from a situation where both teams settle for a draw in the last match of a season, if the one point each will save both clubs from relegation but a defeat for either would mean relegation? I don't know if there is any match like that where there has been suspicion similar to the West Germany-Austria match.

Going way back, there were mutterings in the 1954 World Cup about the West German manager resting nearly all his best players and losing 8-3 to Hungary in a group stage match, so that they could defeat Turkey in their final match and still progress without showing their hand to Hungary. Eventually West Germany reached the final and (playing their best players) defeated Hungary's Golden Team 3-2. Even then there was doubt about one of the West German goals and about a disallowed last minute equaliser for Hungary - there was an English referee and  a Welsh linesman! There's also the possibility (unproven and legal at the time anyway) that the West German players were given stimulants used in WW2 to help troops keep fighting when exhausted!