Promotion Play Offs?

GG Riva

No, I've not been up all night, celebrating two (wins) in a row. The league table is really weird, with a massive gap between the top and bottom 5. Realistically, the best we can hope for this season is 6th place, but at least we can feel much more upbeat about avoiding a relegation struggle, something that looked almost inevitable just a couple of weeks ago.

We're still in the mix, of course and I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but I can't help looking up the table and wondering if there's any chance of going on a really good run and closing the gap on the promotion contenders? Highly unlikely, I know, but there's still a long way to go. I think the players will have a totally different mindset now to the one they had under Grant. For us to sneak into a play off spot, two of the five would have to experience a real form collapse, but if the Pars continue their newly acquired winning habit, who knows?

To even contemplate that, any good run by the Pars would have to matched by a horrendously bad run by two of the teams in the top five.

A good run by the Pars is possible and would be welcome. I can’t see two teams collapsing in the second half of the season unless they simultaneously employ Peter Grant.

Carving out a comfortable gap over 9th place is the best I am hoping for.

Next 2 league games are still must win imo, Hamilton and queen of the south are both  absolute awful. Beat them, get upto 19 points and build a gap, if we can get to the new year game v the rovers and the gap is at say 10 points, I think we defo could push for it but yogi needs backed in the January window for that to happen

Edited by kelty_par

2 hours ago, Teuchter said:

To even contemplate that, any good run by the Pars would have to matched by a horrendously bad run by two of the teams in the top five.

A good run by the Pars is possible and would be welcome. I can’t see two teams collapsing in the second half of the season unless they simultaneously employ Peter Grant.

Carving out a comfortable gap over 9th place is the best I am hoping for.

Yea, a collapse in form by one team isn't unrealistic, but for two teams to bottle it is probably a bridge too far. ☹

1 hour ago, scottyboy said:

I think we'll stay up and most will be grateful for John Hughes input into achieving that. Can't see us catching Arbroath, but I reckon big Dicks smile will be wiped aff his pus , next meeting. Btw. What a result for him yesterday. 

For me beating them is of particular significance given they've beaten us 3-0 and 4-2, two games I've actually been to this season. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Number Eleven said:

If we finish 6th that would be a significant improvement given how badly we played over the first third of the season. However that is still well short of the target set at the start of the season.

It would be interesting to know what target was set for Yogi. If we get near 5th spot he will have done very well.

Perhaps that is a good question to ask at the Supporters Meeting on Wednesday? If you can't make it, Buffy may be able to ask on your behalf. 

The target for Yogi will absolutely be different from that of Grant's. This is very much about damage limitation and getting us as far up the table as possible from a prize money point of view now as we will likely not have the extra play off income. 

I think now we've reached 6th, the target should be focussed on keeping it. Whilst I said it's about damage limitation there should always be a stretch target too, so 5th would be that with squeaking 4th the absolute wish list. From this point, that is Yogi's equivalent to Grant winning the league IMO. If he pulled that off, that is miracle stuff considering his start point. 

All of that said, 6th is absolutely more than admirable, with a view to building something for next year. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Digs said:

The target for Yogi will absolutely be different from that of Grant's. This is very much about damage limitation and getting us as far up the table as possible from a prize money point of view now as we will likely not have the extra play off income. 

It will be interesting to find out on Wednesday what position we budgeted on finishing,this season will be a big financial loss.