New Youth Academy

DeclanG

1 hour ago, DeclanG said:

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=New_DAFC_Youth_Academy_moves_forward&ID=13465

Looks like we'll have our own youth academy from January. I did think we'd have been aiming a little higher than the performance tier but it's still a great start.

We won't have some or most of the infrastructure in place for the elite tier by then and even if we did, some of the other criteria is pretty strict and probably outwith our reach at this stage.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rosythpar said:

Hamish French will be one of the coaches involved with the new youth set up.

*Unpopular opinion* - I don't think this is a positive.

My own personal experience of his coaching when my son was in Fife Elite wasn't great. The message they were hammering into the boys went against everything he had been coached since he was first kicking a ball and so needed a different message to get him to take on board what was being said (personally, what they were asking the boys to do made no sense to me but fair enough). We tried getting my son to speak to him, and the message back to him was even more confusing. We tried having a meeting with the coaches to get a better understanding ourselves as it was starting to affect him so I thought it was maybe my son not getting it. It wasn't. 

That was the death knell for him as Steven Wright hated parents having any sort of input, asking any sort of questions, or indeed, having any sort of contact or dialogue with parents whatsoever. He ignored me to my face one morning when I parked my car near his and had the temerity to say 'Morning'. He got back in his car without speaking and drove to the other side of the car park away from us. Absolute weirdo.

When it was time for them to release him, Hamish sat there in total silence (he was the Head coach) whilst the academy manager, Bill Hendry who had been in the door five minutes and had seen him play once, gave a million reasons why he wasn't good enough. I don't have an issue with him not being good enough, I've always said that, but for some footballing nobody who had no knowledge of him to sit and criticise him when the Head Coach sat there saying nothing, to the point of ignoring my direct questions to him by batting them off to Bill Hendry, it left a sour taste in my mouth, and to be honest, my opinion of him as a coach and a person changed.

There were loads of politics at play as well to be fair, my son was a Cowdenbeath player and this was right at the start of Fife Elite and so every club wanted as many of their player through as possible, and since we were funding it, the Pars voice was loudest. I've had this confirmed to me since by a board member, that this is pretty much what was happening. Good coaches resigned over it, and some of those offering 'opinions' on players were utterly clueless. 

It was pretty poor and it hurt a lot of kids, some of whom walked away from the game for years. Incidentally, some of those Dunfermline players that got kept on were playing at a lower level than several of the boys who got released. Of all the boys at that age group only Matty Todd is playing League football. The rest are playing East of Scotland/Lowland at best. At the same level as all the boys who got binned that are still playing...

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Secure Par said:

Mind you after one game a certain wank of a coach said to my son “you’ll never be a football player” He was 11 years old at the time and top scorer for the team…. Week after gets played at right back and 20 mins of football.

DDK?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rosythpar said:

Bill Hendry will be the head of the academy.

@Digs you know much about him? 

Met him once. When he released my laddie and he spoke confidently about his ability despite having only seen him play once. Out of position. For 20 mins. Think he ran Hibs academy at one point and was at Motherwell as a coach and a scout.

Im not sure why the person who ran Fife Elite, and the failure that was, is the right man to run our own academy. 

Obviously I’ll be delighted to be shut right up on that but I’m basing it entirely on my own experience of him, so could be wrong. 

On 28/12/2021 at 21:52, Secure Par said:

My lad played with a fife and Bill just looked after the admin side. No comment on the coaching side as imo was brutal!

Was the admin side of it no pish? My mate was a referee who done that level and apparently Fife were always turning up late and underprepared to games.