Pars v QoS

Superally

Make no mistakes even before Xmas, Saturdays game against QoS is a cup final. Lose and we are adrift at the bottom again, Win and it we can create a bit of distance and perhaps climb the table. Yogi has a job on - in picking a team that will be up to the task with Dorans and Thomas missing. Worryingly, Yogi also acknowledges the dilemma of strengthening a midfield leads to diminishing our attacking options and frankly we were pretty blunt up front last weekend against a Hamilton team that struggled for form. Queens are sitting bottom of the table on goal difference, The Doonhamers have earned 3pts over their past 5 games and in total they have won 3, drawn 4 and lost 9, conceding 25 goals. The Pars fair marginally better winning 2 of their past games but losing the other 3 giving them 6 points. Thus far the Pars have won only 2 games drawing 7 and losing 7. We have scored 2 more goals than Queens with 15 in total. Our last outing against QoS offered the most turgid of performances losing by late single goal. The last thing we need is a similar outcome and we desperately need a competitive performance. Home advantage just edges it for me. I’ll go for a 2-1 Pars win. COYP.

• Upvote 1

Not sure how he'll approach this, without Thomas I really worry about a line of creativity to take the ball upto the forward line. McDonald on the right hasn't worked for me bar his sub appearance v Morton. Yogi mentioned about Todd playing further right at the meet the manager night I'm sure, might he moved Todd out there to offer more defensive protection, so as to bring in another striker? 

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Not sure how he'll approach this, without Thomas I really worry about a line of creativity to take the ball upto the forward line. McDonald on the right hasn't worked for me bar his sub appearance v Morton. Yogi mentioned about Todd playing further right at the meet the manager night I'm sure, might he moved Todd out there to offer more defensive protection, so as to bring in another striker? 

Interesting to note Todd has been the main midfielder instructed to drop into the fullback position when the fullback bombs on(tho more on the left than right),   I think he is trusted to do some of the more defensive work. 

Todd was also at times played on the right under Crawford.

At its simplest thomas can not be replaced,  we need to find a different system that offers as much attacking threat.  2 up front probably does that.

If we go 2 up I'd expect o'hara to be part of that,  his pace and workrate means he can offer something defensively. If McCann keeps his spot or it goes to wighton/ todorov I'm not sure.  

55 minutes ago, The Roy Barry Fan Club said:

Nervous as heck.

Definitely need to play two up front. 

Agreed, my fear is that if we don't have a decent out ball we will sit back invite them over us and be overwhelmed. Queens will be cagey and will look to play us on the break looking for set plays. They will be happy not to lose and take a point.

After reading his OP, me thinks a career in tabloid journalism beckons for Superally. ☺

I'm not being complacent or blasè, but Saturday's game will not define our season. We certainly want to win it and definitely can't afford to lose it, but a draw wouldn't be a disaster for either club. For this reason, I foresee a cagey affair and wouldn't be surprised if it's 0-0, but can see one goal deciding it either way. Naturally, with home advantage, I fancy us to get the all important goal. 🙂

Playing with 2 up front is no guarantee that we will automatically provide a greater goal scoring threat. Give me a lone striker who can hold the ball up and a 5 man midfield who can flood forward in support, over a 4-4-2 with forwards who don't link up well every time. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rosythpar said:

Did Hughes not come out and say that he cant play 2 upfront because he has to play 5 in the midfield?

I think he might have, RP. That says much about the quality of our midfield, if he feels he needs 5 in there. I can remember when Brazil beat all comers in the WC, playing 4-2-4.... Gerson and Clodoaldo could play a bit and Rivelino would often drop back from his left wing role when their opponents had the ball, which wasn't very often. 😅

• Upvote 2