Threat to supporters in stadia.

Rengade Master

I've taken it upon myself to write to the SPFL's CEO :-

Good Morning Neil,

I have been a supporter of Scottish football and a fan of Dunfermline Athletic since 1963. We met briefly at Tynecastle in April 2018, when I was delighted to accept the SPFL Trust's trophy for the Community Project of the Year, on behalf of Dunfermline Athletic.

I learned with some dismay of the Scottish Government's decision to limit attendances at senior games to a maximum of 500 spectators, for at least 3 weeks from 26th December. While this may not impact significantly on some clubs in the lower leagues, it will cripple the finances of clubs like my own, who were already struggling to make ends meet, before these restrictions were announced.

I believe it is incumbent on the SPFL to give its member clubs the democratic opportunity to decide the best way forward at this time. Clubs in each of the four leagues should be asked to vote on a proposal to suspend all games for 3 weeks from Boxing Day, with another vote scheduled at the end of that period to decide whether to resume matches or extend the postponements. A simple majority for each league would be required. Should any league return a tied vote, the SPFL would exercise a casting vote.

While you may feel that a suspension could produce a huge backlog of matches, I would remind you that during the so-called Big Freeze of 1963, there was virtually no football played for over three months and the season was still completed by May 18th.

I look forward to hearing from you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, GG Riva said:

I've taken it upon myself to write to the SPFL's CEO :-

Good Morning Neil,

I have been a supporter of Scottish football and a fan of Dunfermline Athletic since 1963. We met briefly at Tynecastle in April 2018, when I was delighted to accept the SPFL Trust's trophy for the Community Project of the Year, on behalf of Dunfermline Athletic.

I learned with some dismay of the Scottish Government's decision to limit attendances at senior games to a maximum of 500 spectators, for at least 3 weeks from 26th December. While this may not impact significantly on some clubs in the lower leagues, it will cripple the finances of clubs like my own, who were already struggling to make ends meet, before these restrictions were announced.

I believe it is incumbent on the SPFL to give its member clubs the democratic opportunity to decide the best way forward at this time. Clubs in each of the four leagues should be asked to vote on a proposal to suspend all games for 3 weeks from Boxing Day, with another vote scheduled at the end of that period to decide whether to resume matches or extend the postponements. A simple majority for each league would be required. Should any league return a tied vote, the SPFL would exercise a casting vote.

While you may feel that a suspension could produce a huge backlog of matches, I would remind you that during the so-called Big Freeze of 1963, there was virtually no football played for over three months and the season was still completed by May 18th.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Good email, however it will likely run into a problem that it will be written into the league constitution/rules how any vote will take place and so any decision made will need to factor that in. It's not just a case of deciding any issue with a vote based on a simple majority wins/casting vote.

1 hour ago, Digs said:

Good email, however it will likely run into a problem that it will be written into the league constitution/rules how any vote will take place and so any decision made will need to factor that in. It's not just a case of deciding any issue with a vote based on a simple majority wins/casting vote.

Dear Gennaro,

Good to hear from you and thank you for your email below.

I can reassure you that the SPFL is conducting consultation with all 42 member clubs about the new restrictions.  The SPFL Board will make a decision following that consultation process.  The key difference between 1963 and 2021/22 is that there is considerably more fixture congestion now than was the case then.

Let us see what the clubs wish to see happen.

In the meantime, many thanks for taking the time to write to me with your views.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

In truth this was probably predictable, and given difficulties from last season I'm surprised that the SPFL and clubs appear to be surprised by recent moves. You would have thought that there would have been in place a plan A or even plan B that would have had contingencies built in but it appears no. What we have is a consultation period where a decision could have been preloaded!

21 minutes ago, Superally said:

In truth this was probably predictable, and given difficulties from last season I'm surprised that the SPFL and clubs appear to be surprised by recent moves. You would have thought that there would have been in place a plan A or even plan B that would have had contingencies built in but it appears no. What we have is a consultation period where a decision could have been preloaded!

Ally, you know full well it was muted but in line with previous decisions it tended to follow the closure of indoor venues first, as we all know fresh air events have been far less restricted.

The idea you can't have 3000 fans in a 12000 seated stadium as EEP is, but can have 100 people in the Elizabethan is astonishing. 

3 hours ago, Piracy said:

I bet he will neither acknowledge our club or remember yourself 😜

Good effort though. 

He'd remember me alright, mate. We posed for a pic after he presented me with the trophy and he said something along the lines of "Well deserved - that's an excellent initiative you coordinate in the community." I replied, "Try telling that to Anne Budge. Have you seen her face? She thought she just had to turn up and collect the trophy." He roared with laughter at that point.

Many a true word..... 😎

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

All championship clubs having a meeting today, hopefully we agree to suspend the league for 3 weeks and can re arrange games

That would be the most sensible idea but this is Scottish football. I don't want to be negative but I can see these restrictions lasting for three months.

7 minutes ago, rosythpar said:

That would be the most sensible idea but this is Scottish football. I don't want to be negative but I can see these restrictions lasting for three months.

I agree with the suspension but it should be reviewed in two weeks, so we can see if a longer period is necessary. In the worst possible scenario at least we are not bottom of the league!

Just now, Superally said:

I agree with the suspension but it should be reviewed in two weeks, so we can see if a longer period is necessary. In the worst possible scenario at least we are not bottom of the league!

I do wonder how many clubs will survive another lockdown. Clubs will still have to pay players wages but with no money coming in. These restrictions will be a financial disaster on Scottish football but a suspension would be the best idea rather than behind closed doors.

Kennedy,Graham and Connolly will all return to their parent clubs to get them off the payroll I would imagine.

So games are going ahead then....Utter stupidity if you ask me. Not to do with risk, but surely the clubs will run these games at a loss, and how exactly do they decide who gets in? Take our derby game for example, Rovers will lose their arse on that.

Looking at average crowds, us, Killie and Partick are going to be hardest hit, with the rest clearly thinking oh well, we're only losing half our gate, we'll be fine. Cheers lads.

Also, if you're going, make sure you're fed because there won't be any food...

image.png.3be09de5d536f6f86a5658d29d5f0417.png

image.png.c3f655b21b2997613138f6f7b8a667df.png

• Upvote 2

Given we don’t have the luxury of a winter break I don’t see that the clubs had much choice? The season also needs to be finished by the end of May if the promotion play offs are to go ahead. Was always going to go this way. 

Rovers will be have weighed up potentially missing out on promotion with loss of revenue from the derby. 

Edited by Keyser Soze