Threat to supporters in stadia.

Rengade Master

It looks like the Premiership clubs have reached a compromise. They`ll play in front of 500 fans on Boxing Day and postpone the the New Year games.

Brian McLauchlin

BBC Sport Scotland

I`ve had it confirmed, the games on Boxing Day will go ahead as planned.

After that, the winter break for Premiership clubs will begin. The games that have postponed will be played on the week beginning 17 January and the second set the week beginning 31 January.

Celtic will be happy, but I can`t say I understand the logic behind that decision.

2 hours ago, kelty_par said:

Not saying that I would, but if this lasts longer and folk aren’t getting into games, would the club have to offer partial refunds? Doesn’t seem fair to pay £300 to watch half a season 

My guess is they'll revert to something like last time:

• Give all ST holders free Pars TV access
  • Offer refunds if people want them, but encourage the above option.

I hope they also try something like what I suggested in spring 2019 (sadly the original thread seems to have been deleted or I'd link to it):

• Make most of the 500 available to ST holders (on some basis to be worked out) but keep, say 50-100 aside for other fans who don't have a ST.
  • Make those other match tickets available as the prize in some sort of online lottery draw.
  • Make entry to the draw available to anyone (inc ST holders if they want to pay more than they already have), and at a relatively low price (say £5-10? Significantly less than a regular match ticket anyway)
  • Have no limit on how many entries someone can buy if they really want to up their chances a bit.
  • Hopefully sell a high number of draw entries due to the low price, and recoup a good amount of the money that would otherwise have been earned with a bigger walk-up crowd.

Downsides to that:

• Admin and legal burdens (running a lottery will have some sort of licensing requirement I would imagine)
  • It does give more chance to fans who are better off financially and may be willing to risk buying more entry tickets in order to have a better chance.
  • Probably other things I've not considered.

Still though, giving people a chance to win one of the very scarce tickets might be better than given them no chance at all.

Edited by SanguinePar

6 minutes ago, scottyboy said:

I can't fathom why any club would want to play to 500 fans, unless they are desperate to get some funds in. I'd imagine there would have been a few extra non season ticket holders, myself included turning up o er the festive time.

My guess is that they see no point having a total break now, when in all likelihood it won't be over after just a few weeks. Maybe their view is to just get any money in that they can now, before crowds are potentially banned completely again.

Not saying I agree with that, but it's a reasonable position to take, I suppose.

10 minutes ago, scottyboy said:

I can't fathom why any club would want to play to 500 fans, unless they are desperate to get some funds in. I'd imagine there would have been a few extra non season ticket holders, myself included turning up o er the festive time.

I reckon that the clubs are fairly confident that it’ll only last 3 weeks, if not then it’ll financially cripple all the clubs. The fact even with 500, the club won’t make hardly anything as it’s all season ticket holders that’ll attend 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

My guess is they'll revert to something like last time:

• Give all ST holders free Pars TV access
  • Offer refunds if people want them, but encourage the above option.

I hope they also try something like what I suggested in spring 2019 (sadly the original thread seems to have been deleted or I'd link to it):

• Make most of the 500 available to ST holders (on some basis to be worked out) but keep, say 50-100 aside for other fans who don't have a ST.
  • Make those other match tickets available as the prize in some sort of online lottery draw.
  • Make entry to the draw available to anyone (inc ST holders if they want to pay more than they already have), and at a relatively low price (say £5-10? Significantly less than a regular match ticket anyway)
  • Have no limit on how many entries someone can buy if they really want to up their chances a bit.
  • Hopefully sell a high number of draw entries due to the low price, and recoup a good amount of the money that would otherwise have been earned with a bigger walk-up crowd.

Downsides to that:

• Admin and legal burdens (running a lottery will have some sort of licensing requirement I would imagine)
  • It does give more chance to fans who are better off financially and may be willing to risk buying more entry tickets in order to have a better chance.
  • Probably other things I've not considered.

Still though, giving people a chance to win one of the very scarce tickets might be better than given them no chance at all.

Paying £300 to watch potentially half a season on a stream sounds terrible, appreciate it’s the circumstances we are under but that’s certainly not value for money 

Quite angry at the decision to play on,  its a slap in the face of fans who clubs have spent 3 years begging for money from(some would argue more,  but only counting  the COVID seasons)

I'll wait on an official response but if we are in anyway supportive I can see this being the straw that causes me to cancel my lifeline payments.  I've been close a few times this season but I simply can't donate money every month if we are having the **** taken out of us and once again expected to suck it up after being shortchanged on our season tickets.