Mark Connolly away?

Raymie

38 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

We do have a chief scout and I’m sure meggle would’ve potentially helped with transfers? With the style we were attempting to play it certainly seems like he had some influence, as I’d never seen Alloa play like that under Grant 

Aye? I'd say he had an influence at the end of Grant's tenure, however the start was very much a Grant team, and one that was warned about when Grant took over. 

Likewise the way we're playing just now is very much how I remember Yogi Hughes with Livingston. 

16 minutes ago, Raymie said:

If Yogi doesn’t know a decent centre half when he has one, then game’s a bogey ?

You could argue that Vytas was our best one this season and Hughes wasn't long in bombing him out. Plenty of examples through football where managers didn't excel in there area of playing expertise. 

35 minutes ago, rosythpar said:

We have a sporting director, Thomas Meggle.

Do you reckon he's in charge of transfers though? None of our recent buisness would suggest so. 

Just now, Grant said:

Aye? I'd say he had an influence at the end of Grant's tenure, however the start was very much a Grant team, and one that was warned about when Grant took over. 

Likewise the way we're playing just now is very much how I remember Yogi Hughes with Livingston. 

You could argue that Vytas was our best one this season and Hughes wasn't long in bombing him out. Plenty of examples through football where managers didn't excel in there area of playing expertise. 

Do you reckon he's in charge of transfers though? None of our recent buisness would suggest so. 

He will be working closely with Yogi identifying transfer targets and he will be part of negotiating the players contracts. Brexit has had an effect on Meggle using his contacts to bring in players from outside Europe,he identified five in the summer.

It's part of a Sporting Directors role to oversee training, identify new players and hiring and firing the manager.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, rosythpar said:

He will be working closely with Yogi identifying transfer targets and he will be part of negotiating the players contracts. Brexit has had an effect on Meggle using his contacts to bring in players from outside Europe,he identified five in the summer.

It's part of a Sporting Directors role to oversee training, identify new players and hiring and firing the manager.

Fully agree that he'd be part of the negotiations, however like you say Brexit has impacted Meggles influence with regards to the actual identifying of our targets no? 

15 hours ago, Raymie said:

Vytas made it clear he wanted to leave. Yogi took the view that he needed to find a longer term solution, in that case 

Chicken and the egg, did Vytas want to leave because of game time, or did he lack gametime because he asked to leave? 

Either way I'm not disputing that Connolly is in our top 2/3 centre backs (we had Leon Jones and Graham though eh?) I just don't think he'll be that big and miss, and in all likelihood with Dundee United wanting us to take on more of his wages it is what it is. It's a shame Watson had such an atrocious attitude. 

Breen has potential, he could be very good at this level, and indeed he was good at this level with QoTS. 

Donaldson already has surely? He's not came in to sit on the bench. 

I'd agree that if Connolly was getting directly replaced by Lok On then it'd seem to be a big downgrade, as it is I don't think we're any weaker really. 

There's an argument to be made that with no Gaspuitis we could do with a 3rd/backup centre back, but with Martin and Jones would we be better investing that money elsewhere? 

2 hours ago, Raymie said:

Two out and one in? We definitely need another CH in my opinion.

Three out really with Graham, Gaspuitis and (potentially) Connolly away. However we have brought in Martin and Donaldson. 

Which leaves us with Breen, Donaldson, Martin and Jones as senior centre backs, if we're being honest we had too many centre backs competing for two positions so that seems about right tbf. 

33 minutes ago, Grant said:

Three out really with Graham, Gaspuitis and (potentially) Connolly away. However we have brought in Martin and Donaldson. 

Which leaves us with Breen, Donaldson, Martin and Jones as senior centre backs, if we're being honest we had too many centre backs competing for two positions so that seems about right tbf. 

Jones isn’t good enough and it’s a bit harsh for Martin to be relied on straight away he’s barely played in 2 years. We defo need another centre half if we can’t keep Connolly 

36 minutes ago, Grant said:

Right in terms of numbers,  but probably short in quality.    Breen should ideally be 3rd choice,    if/when martin gets fit and gets back towards his best he'd be better coming in at left back,  but he's ok for cover.  Jones would need to do alot more than he showed under grant to be up to standard. Prefer to keep connoly or get a replacement starting center back. 

Center Mid certainly the main priority tho,    Hughes suggesting 1 or 2 more players to come in,  I'd say they probably both need to be center mids.  

Funds allowing in order of need

2 center mids

Keep Connoly/ sign replacement

Ideally an extra winger, likely to be on loan to come off the bench.

If it helps free up funds we could probably afford to loan out/release

Jones, Fenton, Cole,   1 of the senior strikers and 1 of allan/todd if we get those center mids in. 

1 hour ago, kelty_par said:

Jones isn’t good enough and it’s a bit harsh for Martin to be relied on straight away he’s barely played in 2 years. We defo need another centre half if we can’t keep Connolly 

I have no idea how good Jones is tbf, only seem him once at Ayr where the defence was hung out to dry, whether he is, or isn't good enough though we're still paying him a wage, and realistically how good do you expect your fourth choice cb to be? 

I get what you're saying with Mattin, but likewise we'll have signed him with the expectation that he can step up, I'm sure Martin wants too aswell! 

I get that he doesn't seem like the flavour of the month but I genuinely reckon Breen could come good, he looked decent at this level with QoTS and he's certainly got the physical characteristics to make it. If we're going to develop players etc we need to give them time. 

19 minutes ago, Grant said:

I have no idea how good Jones is tbf, only seem him once at Ayr where the defence was hung out to dry, whether he is, or isn't good enough though we're still paying him a wage, and realistically how good do you expect your fourth choice cb to be? 

I get what you're saying with Mattin, but likewise we'll have signed him with the expectation that he can step up, I'm sure Martin wants too aswell! 

I get that he doesn't seem like the flavour of the month but I genuinely reckon Breen could come good, he looked decent at this level with QoTS and he's certainly got the physical characteristics to make it. If we're going to develop players etc we need to give them time. 

The fact jones hasn’t even been picked for a squad under yogi until Sunday says it all, clearly doesn’t rate him that much. That day down at ayr was like someone had been picked from the crowd and given a game that day 

20 hours ago, Raymie said:

He wanted to leave because he was homesick. Probably made worse by Covid times, with players not able to mix as they might normally do?

Connolly will be a big miss if we don't get an adequate replacement.

It's in the press this week that one of the reasons that he left was because he needed to be playing regularly for his international career. Two clubs have already phoned Yogi asking about Vytas.