New signing

rosythpar

24 minutes ago, Grant said:

I don't think he wasn't putting in effort though, it was Grant that said that. 

I don't think Grant said that. He said he doesn't track back enough and it was true. Against the Rovers at Starks I watched him deliberately to make my own mind up, and I counted him jogging back whilst his man raced into our half at least 4 times. He did start to do it near the end of Grant's tenure but whether that was down to Grant and his man-management skills or not is up for debate (probably a short one). 

9 minutes ago, Digs said:

I pay literally zero attention to what fans of opposing teams have to say about their ex-players we have signed. I;d rather use my own eyes and judge him based on his performances for my team, no matter who the player is.

...........while others use this method to form their opinion on a player, some without ever actually seeing him in the flesh. Strange.

On 25/01/2022 at 14:49, Digs said:

I pay literally zero attention to what fans of opposing teams have to say about their ex-players we have signed. I;d rather use my own eyes and judge him based on his performances for my team, no matter who the player is.

So I trust you've never given an opinion on a new signing then? 

On 25/01/2022 at 14:55, da_no_1 said:

Obviously this is a bit silly, but you already know that.

You fire away & pick & choose the bits of threads that support your "argument". 

Going by how much Hughes battered on about his left foot, it seems to certainly be a bit of the reason. 

I quite simply don't trust the vast majority of stuff written on twitter, you have absolutely no idea who's writing it or what there knowledge base is. The guy you've quoted there could be a footballing genius, or most likely is a bumbling idiot. Twitter and Facebook is to be avoided when it comes to takes on football. 

On PnB you at least have a rough knowledge of opposition posters and what they post, you can also search a players name and see what the fans opinion was of him throughout his tenure, getting hot takes on players when they've signed from an opposition fan is usually hyperbolic in one sense. Chalmers hasn't impressed Ayr fans throughout his whole tenure though, if you're teniously going to stick with one tweet then it's you picking and choosing bits to suit your argument, not me. 

You also have the bit where we have played against Chalmers quite a bit through our time in this division. 

On 25/01/2022 at 15:01, da_no_1 said:

...........while others use this method to form their opinion on a player, some without ever actually seeing him in the flesh. Strange.

We have fans going the other way and calling it a good signing despite having never seen him play or have any recollection of him, it goes both ways. 

27 minutes ago, Grant said:

So I trust you've never given an opinion on a new signing then?

I’m not sure what point you’re making here as you appear to agree with it in your answer to da?

Fans are free to give their opinions if they wish but I am under no obligation to pay any attention to it, for precisely the reasons you give regarding Facebook and Twitter. As I said, I’d rather make my own mind up. 

If you’re talking about giving an opinion on players we signed, I might have a pre-conceived opinion but I also give them a chance to play for us before deciding if they’re good enough for us or not. If I have ever voiced concern on whether I think someone is a good signing or not, when I’ve been wrong I’m happy to admit it. Can’t think of any other Brewster to be fair, but I don’t think I was alone in that and actually he proved me spectacularly wrong, which I’m thoroughly delighted about. 

Being honest I reserve judgement and make up my own mind on players just being brought in. I'm also trusting Yogi and his staff to do their job given they're the ones professionally assessing the situation. 

“We have done a lot of due diligence on him but you don’t want to sign anyone blind.

“It’s important to get them up for a few days, have a chat with them — see their attitude, desire and where they want to go in football.”

Sensible from Yogi as well. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

He’s signed for Peterhead 

Good that he's got himself sorted quickly, Airdrie are a right horrible bunch. 

15 minutes ago, Digs said:

I’m not sure what point you’re making here as you appear to agree with it in your answer to da?

Fans are free to give their opinions if they wish but I am under no obligation to pay any attention to it, for precisely the reasons you give regarding Facebook and Twitter. As I said, I’d rather make my own mind up. 

If you’re talking about giving an opinion on players we signed, I might have a pre-conceived opinion but I also give them a chance to play for us before deciding if they’re good enough for us or not. If I have ever voiced concern on whether I think someone is a good signing or not, when I’ve been wrong I’m happy to admit it. Can’t think of any other Brewster to be fair, but I don’t think I was alone in that and actually he proved me spectacularly wrong, which I’m thoroughly delighted about. 

I've got my wires crossed there, I was meaning in the instance that if you reasonably trust the source, it's worth listening to, not someone you've never read anything from on twitter etc. 

The opinion on whether a player is good enough for us is always fluid while they're here, a change in formation, style or manager can make a massive difference, even at the weekend Pybus for example seemed far more comfortable in the second half shape compared to the first half. In the past we had Bell and Burke go from jobbers outwide, to sexy, sexy ballers in the middle. 

It doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things either way, whether I think they're good enough or not, whether I think they're a good signing or not they'll still get the support because they're playing for the Pars, I just don't think Chalmers is what we need. 

Edited by Grant

5 minutes ago, Grant said:

Good that he's got himself sorted quickly, Airdrie are a right horrible bunch. 

I've got my wires crossed there, I was meaning in the instance that if you reasonably trust the source, it's worth listening to, not someone you've never read anything from on twitter etc. 

The opinion on whether a player is good enough for us is always fluid while they're here, a change in formation, style or manager can make a massive difference, even at the weekend Pybus for example seemed far more comfortable in the second half shape compared to the first half. In the past we had Bell and Burke go from jobbers outwide, to sexy, sexy ballers in the middle. 

It doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things either way, whether I think they're good enough or not, whether I think they're a good signing or not they'll still get the support because they're playing for the Pars, I just don't think Chalmers is what we need. 

Aye, I mean it doesn’t sound great but we also have no context as to how he was played, in what formation etc as you say. 

Let’s see how he gets on. Sometimes a change of club, manager, team mates, can all have an effect on how good someone is. I’ve said before, football is a confidence game and if you’re flying, you are a far better player than if you are plugging away in a team that smashes it over your head for 90 mins, and can’t string 3 passes together.

Hopefully he’s in that bracket…