Pars v ICT

Superally

This is a rearranged fixture postponed from 29.12.21 where the Pars were supposed to host ICT in a closed doors game. Thankfully with crowd restrictions now off the table we should look forward to a healthy crowd with this home fixture with a few visitors heading south on the A9. ICT sit 2nd in the league table 4pts behind Arbroath with a game in hand - the pressure will be on them not to slip up on Saturday. Recent form has seen them earn 6 pts from their past 5 games with a win and three draws, while they are not the biggest scorers in the league (they have still scored 10 more than us) their defence is one of the meanest conceding just 17goals. The Pars form against other teams in the league isn’t great but we are not the worst either we have taken 5pts in 5 games with two draws and a win against Hamilton on out last outing. However, we continue to remain in last place on goal difference from QoS in 9th whose late goal earned them a 2-2 draw against the Highlanders. Clearly, we need to use the momentum from our last win and home advantage to collect another 3pts and there is the added bonus that it may take us into 7th or 8th place in the table – heady heights indeed! The positive factor is we have done better against ICT than any other team in the league with an 0-0 draw and out last outing coming back from a goal down to a 2-1 away win with goals from Devine (OG) and Thomas. Undoubtedly more of the same would be ideal. I think there is a chance of points to be earned. A win would be ideal, but I’ll settle for a 1-1 draw. COYP

• Upvote 4

Well summed up, S'Ally.  We badly need another win as that would build on the confidence gained from Saturday's game. Training will be a lot happier this week as the players will be buzzing. I hope Yogi will have someone in place for Connolly who will be a big miss. A draw wouldn't be a disaster but it wouldn't do much for our points total.

It's maybe too early in the morning, but I can't work out if more or less points are needed to reach safety when a larger number of teams are involved in a relegation scrap. I think Falkirk were relegated with 36 pts a few years back but not sure.

8 minutes ago, Deutsche Par said:

Falkirk were relegated with 38 points which is the highest total a club has been relegated with since the second tier was named the Championship. 

Aye, that was a real shame for the poor Bairns - I think I cried myself to sleep every night for a week....

I'm thinking the league must have been tightly bunched at the bottom, as it is this season, so safety will need a similarly high points total. 🙁

Hopefully Saturday wasnt just a flash in the pan performance, we need to build on that but imo we still  badly need 3 or 4 + new players in the next week or so, basically we need a whole new centre midfield and now a(another)centre half despite signing about 500 in the summer

Edited by the saline hill puma

49 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Aye, that was a real shame for the poor Bairns - I think I cried myself to sleep every night for a week....

I'm thinking the league must have been tightly bunched at the bottom, as it is this season, so safety will need a similarly high points total. 🙁

5th   Morton  46 points

6th   Partick  43

7th   Pars      41

8th   Alloa     39

9th   Doonhamers  38  -7

10th  Falkirk           38  -12

30 minutes ago, 1950Par said:

5th   Morton  46 points

6th   Partick  43

7th   Pars      41

8th   Alloa     39

9th   Doonhamers  38  -7

10th  Falkirk           38  -12

Looking at that, we might need as many as 40 pts to secure 8th place. It's the same for all 5 teams in the bottom half so no reason to be fearful, as long as we take care of our own games and get the points on the board.

• Upvote 1

A couple of weeks ago the discussion on talksport was should you be allowed to play new signings for a rearranged fixture. Southampton had a game postponed vs Newcastle and weren't happy that Newcastle would have new players in for the rearranged fixture.

It is an interesting topic and if a rule was in place we would be without Martin,Lawless and Donaldson.

17 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

Not Martin, surely? He's been our player for years. Just because he was injured doesn't mean he shouldn't play. I can see the point re Lawless and Donaldson though.

Technically he wasn’t signed though, so the point would stand.  Doesn’t bear thinkin about tho given the squad left 🤣

2 hours ago, rosythpar said:

A couple of weeks ago the discussion on talksport was should you be allowed to play new signings for a rearranged fixture. Southampton had a game postponed vs Newcastle and weren't happy that Newcastle would have new players in for the rearranged fixture.

It is an interesting topic and if a rule was in place we would be without Martin,Lawless and Donaldson.

You would have to assume players that have been sold or moved on but who were available for the initial fixture date would be allowed to come back and play for the rearranged game(s)? So we could recall big Vytas and Connolly would be available as would Wighton who could come and sit on the bench

• Upvote 2