Pars v ICT

Superally

I thought it was a good point in the end.

Started off slow as we tend to do every game at the moment and rarely looked a threat in the first half. ICT were very much on the front foot and looked more likely of the two to score but I thought defensively we were pretty comfortable and were handling it reasonably well.

The goal conceded ofcourse was poor, thought it started with a mistake by Allan initially which led to the cross and it was a good finish.

Second half we were much better, how much of it was because ICT weren’t as offensively minded than in the first half I don’t know but credit where it’s due. I thought Dorrans and Cole coming on turned the game in our favour. Cole in particular, not everything he tried pulled off but he was putting some decent attempts to our strikers pushing the ball forward which we lacked before.

The penalty I admit at the time I thought may have been harsh, will need to see it again but glad we got it and Lawless did well to put it away.

We were then going for it but to be honest I don’t think we were ever going to score in open play today.

We need the midfield to step up more and support McCann up front if he’s going to continue to lead the line, thought they were too far apart at times.

Pybus I thought played very well today.

It’s a good point, but still a little apprehensive about how we’re going to play away from home in what are critical games in QOTS and Ayr.

The first half was poor but we really improved at half time. The change of shape worked and Cole made a real difference to our attacking play. I thought we thoroughly deserved a point. 

I never thought I’d be writing this but Pybus put in a man of the match performance. He got on the ball in the second half and drove the team forward.

• Like 1

A very good point in the end.

First half was dire. Second half was better even before the changes but the 3 subs all made a difference. Standouts for me were Donaldson, Comrie and Pybus. Cole was impressive as well.

Can’t knock the spirit and fight in the team today.

I’d like to see the second penalty appeal again where O’Hara hit the keepers legs after a handball shout.

I thought McCann had a poor game today but what a shift he put in. He doesn’t half get stuck in and has some engine in him.

Take a draw in the end. 

The first half showed the failings of the team, and formation against Hamilton. The centre midfield (weakest point in the team) is so weak that if you're wide men aren't on form we're inspid, and we were in the first half. 

Second half and a change of shape, I thought that Cole and Pybus then had a good game, fair play to Yogi for the change! Pybus suits a midfield two far more, Cole came on and while not everything worked his ability to turn the defence was key, Dorrans didn't really suit that wide attacking left role at all though. Dow (or when he's fit) Thomas would be better, with the shape we seemed to insist that Edwards was positioned really high and left which didn't work, no fault on Edwards who has a good game I thought, just too much was asked of him. However would we then be too open? Who knows. 

In the end a draws a good result, interesting having Cole in the mix, he done well. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Is it just me or did ICT start to run the game down as soon as they scored?

And what about the ref? I don't like to criticise them cos it's so hard to please everyone, but thoight he was very poor and inconsistent. 

Don’t think Inverness did much different to anyone else with a lead,  taking time where you can always happens.   2nd half ridgers began to push things but when 1 up your keeper is expected too. 

Ref was ****e, you can see why the SFA prefer to keep him a couple of leagues below .  They also sent an experienced linesman to help him out but he ended up needing more help than he should have.

7 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Don’t think Inverness did much different to anyone else with a lead,  taking time where you can always happens.   2nd half ridgers began to push things but when 1 up your keeper is expected too. 

Ref was ****e, you can see why the SFA prefer to keep him a couple of leagues below .  They also sent an experienced linesman to help him out but he ended up needing more help than he should have.

Perhaps I should have added that ICT's "let's hold what we have" tactic, allowed us to stay in the game and pick up a thoroughly deserved point. Had they pushed on for a 2nd goal and scored it, it's doubtful we'd have come back from it.

As you say, teams sitting on a one goal lead happens a lot. You'd think it might click that it's not a great tactic. I can understand when the team in front is the underdog, but ICT are promotion contenders.

8 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Perhaps I should have added that ICT's "let's hold what we have" tactic, allowed us to stay in the game and pick up a thoroughly deserved point. Had they pushed on for a 2nd goal and scored it, it's doubtful we'd have come back from it.

As you say, teams sitting on a one goal lead happens a lot. You'd think it might click that it's not a great tactic. I can understand when the team in front is the underdog, but ICT are promotion contenders.

They haven’t won in over a month. Won 3 games by more than a goal all season.  It’s not a surprise they didn’t feel confident they’d get a 2nd.

Maybe they don’t win games by more due to sitting back.  But if you look at there squad and especially the guys that played against us they aren’t a side set up to roll over the top of there opponents.    Edging games out is more their style. I think given how sloppy we were first half for them to only create 1 chance shows that.

I agree if they went 2-0 up we wouldn’t have equalised,  no guarantees tho. You could argue if they were open for all the 2nd half we would have scored earlier and had more time for a winner.  It was fairly end to end for the last 10 minutes but we created the better chances.  Nobody will ever know what would have happened. 

It happens often in football  A team gets in the lead and then is more cautious, giving the initiative to the opposition.

As soon as an equaliser goes in, the team that have just conceded suddenly commit more men forward, in an attempt to get in front again. 

The team that has equalised then drop back, happy they have got on level terms, handing the initiative that they had, right back to the opponents

It's all psychological 

Edited by Raymie
  • Upvote 1