Palace v Liverpool Penalty

GG Riva

30 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

How on earth can two EPL refs watch Jota deliberately run into the Palace keeper on the ground and award a penalty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWUeOaz30d8

Considering they both watched it several times, it`s beyond astonishing.

If you watch the replay he looks at the keeper and changes direction slightly to barge over him 

32 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

Are we watching the same clip? The ‘keeper absolutely clatters him. The player is under no obligation to hurdle the challenge. 

Probably not. The clip from the opposite side, ie looking at Jota from behind, clearly shows him change direction into the keeper. It's clear from that had he continued in the same path, ie after the ball, he would have easily avoided contact. Yes, the keeper comes out and makes it easy for him, but he 100% knew exactly what he was doing in making contact when he knew the ball was either going nowhere or into a position where he was unlikely to score, or even keep the ball.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Digs said:

Probably not. The clip from the opposite side, ie looking at Jota from behind, clearly shows him change direction into the keeper. It's clear from that had he continued in the same path, ie after the ball, he would have easily avoided contact. Yes, the keeper comes out and makes it easy for him, but he 100% knew exactly what he was doing in making contact when he knew the ball was either going nowhere or into a position where he was unlikely to score, or even keep the ball.

Hmmm…yeah saw the replay from the other angle and Jota does make an intentional movement towards the ‘keeper. That’s a really odd decision because in real time that looks like a stick on penalty that hasn’t been awarded on field, then when you see the angles the VAR had it’s clearly not a penalty. It’s literally the exact opposite of the logical decision there 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

Hmmm…yeah saw the replay from the other angle and Jota does make an intentional movement towards the ‘keeper. That’s a really odd decision because in real time that looks like a stick on penalty that hasn’t been awarded on field, then when you see the angles the VAR had it’s clearly not a penalty. It’s literally the exact opposite of the logical decision there 

Now you're talking. Your first post on this thread had me flummoxed. I can't quite fathom why VAR felt it necessary to intervene and sow a doubt in the red's mind. Never a pen in a million years. Ask Doggie Dave. 😃

• Upvote 1

There will be tens of penalties given this season where the attacker has deliberately made contact with the keeper, knowing he will get the penalty most of the time because "there was contact"

That little phrase of three words that has only been in the game just a few years, but one that has changed the game quite dramatically. It's also used on many, many occasions to buy a foul outside the box

Modern day football at it's worst, sadly

I don't think it should have been given as a penalty, but one thing to consider is this - just before it happens, Jota tries (and fails) to flick the ball to his right using his right toe, and had he done so, then him moving to his right like that would have made sense (like he was flicking it past the keeper to then leave himself an empty net).

So I don't think he was necessarily intending to run into the keeper, although that's what it looks like for sure.

On the other hand, even the attempt to flick it may just have been a precursor to running into the keeper for the pen - and if he had managed the flick then I think a pen might have been a more reasonable decision.

As it is though, not a pen, and harsh on Palace.

At least it wasn't the winning goal I suppose, although clearly it meant the game was over.

3 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

That’s the point of it for me. He didn’t give it on real time, then VAR gets involved and decides they can’t make their mind up. In that case the decision stands. All they’ve done is make the ref second guess himself and he’s maybe felt under pressure to be seen to be doing something. 

Let the refs ‘ref’…

• Upvote 1