David Goodwillie

rosythpar

8 hours ago, GG Riva said:

I`m not in the slightest bit defending Goodwillie for his reprehensible behaviour but aren`t a lot of people jumping on a bandwagon now?

He played for Clyde for 4/5 seasons and was their captain and top goalscorer and other than some protests when the club signed him in 2017, we hadn`t heard a cheep. I`m convinced that if Raith hadn`t signed him, he`d still be playing and scoring for Clyde in blissful anonymity.

The only bandwagon I am seeing lately is that of “aye, but wee Nippy didnae say a word when he signed for Clyde” (curiously enough, mainly from Rangers fans - are you bridging the divide here GG?)

As a women, becoming aware of the issue for the first time, Sturgeon’s response was understandable.

As an FM, probably ill advised.

Well, he has over a year to find himself a new career. The Rovers will be paying his wages until the end of season 22/23. During this time, he can find and train up for a new job.

His playing career is over and it's down to Raith. Had they not made such a bizarre decision to bring him to Starks Park, he'd still be plying his trade at Broadwood.

Isn’t it a bit rich for folk at Clyde to take this stance now rather than at the time Goodwillie had signed for them the first time around.

To GG’s point, if Raith hadn’t signed him nothing would’ve changed, the Clyde ladies team would still be around etc.

I don’t for one minute believe that there are people at the club that weren’t aware of his past.

Not defending him in the slightest for what he’s done in the past and his lack of remorse over the situation. Putting that aside for a sec, the guy had been playing for Clyde with little fuss in recent years, keeping his head down and trying to get on with his life and that’s now been taken away from him because another club made a move.

Yes he shouldn’t have been playing football in the first place (but that ship sailed a while back), naivety perhaps that Goodwillie agreed to the move not expecting the uproar that it’s caused, and plain stupidity from Raith.

All that being said, he’s probably not bothered if he’s getting his increased wage still.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Berry said:

Isn’t it a bit rich for folk at Clyde to take this stance now rather than at the time Goodwillie had signed for them the first time around.

To GG’s point, if Raith hadn’t signed him nothing would’ve changed, the Clyde ladies team would still be around etc.

I don’t for one minute believe that there are people at the club that weren’t aware of his past.

Not defending him in the slightest for what he’s done in the past and his lack of remorse over the situation. Putting that aside for a sec, the guy had been playing for Clyde with little fuss in recent years, keeping his head down and trying to get on with his life and that’s now been taken away from him because another club made a move.

Yes he shouldn’t have been playing football in the first place (but that ship sailed a while back), naivety perhaps that Goodwillie agreed to the move not expecting the uproar that it’s caused, and plain stupidity from Raith.

All that being said, he’s probably not bothered if he’s getting his increased wage still.

Goodwillie is an absolute scumbag who should be hunted everywhere he goes, but this is virtue signalling nonsense after the fact so as to save their own face. If they were that bothered by this why was nothing said for the past 5 years, and I include the women's team in that. In doing so, IMO all they have done is highlight how badly they handled this previously not giving two hoots about his past. Now, because others have rightly taken a stand, they are trying to retrospectively save face. It's an utter embarrassment.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, Digs said:

Goodwillie is an absolute scumbag who should be hunted everywhere he goes, but this is virtue signalling nonsense after the fact so as to save their own face. If they were that bothered by this why was nothing said for the past 5 years, and I include the women's team in that. In doing so, IMO all they have done is highlight how badly they handled this previously not giving two hoots about his past. Now, because others have rightly taken a stand, they are trying to retrospectively save face. It's an utter embarrassment.

I agree with most of that.

Could it be that the women’s team feel empowered to make a stand now after witnessing what happened at Raith? 

1 hour ago, Mr Mac said:

The end of North Lanarkshire Council's statement explains Broadwood was managed by a separate company previously and the Council had no power to direct the company over things like this however the stadium is now directly managed. 

Well spotted. 

Some very sensible thoughts above. I'd only add that to the best of my knowledge he has not paid his victim one penny of the money that the Courts awarded --- because of his bankruptcy.  Feel free to correct me if this is not right. It was said that that bankruptcy was because of tax debts but the effect was also to clear him of paying the sum awarded in the civil case.

If he had any decency he might consider directing some of the lump sum he is about to receive from Raith Rovers to the woman, by way of an ex-gratia payment (the terms of which any lawyer could advise on so as not to prejudice his position) This is highly unlikely. As far as I am concerned he can either hang up his boots now or push off to play for Zenit St Petersburg...

Edited by The Roy Barry Fan Club
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Mr Mac said:

The end of North Lanarkshire Council's statement explains Broadwood was managed by a separate company previously and the Council had no power to direct the company over things like this however the stadium is now directly managed. 

heard that on the news but they didn't take over after he moved to Raith. If they felt so strongly about it then they should have done something about it when they took over. All this is, is backtracking because they've been embarrassed into it. It's entirely about optics.

15 hours ago, Teuchter said:

I agree with most of that.

Could it be that the women’s team feel empowered to make a stand now after witnessing what happened at Raith? 

Possibly, that's maybe fair. I'll stress, I'm not defending him here, it's more a commentary on the lack of conviction all round when he was there previously.