Sports shirts and colour blindness

SanguinePar

Saw this story about the Wales/Ireland rugby teams planning to play in Red and Green shirts, even though for people who are colour blind it could be really hard to tall them apart, as this mockup shows (although, ironically, not for people who have that particular type of colour-blindness):

Side-by-side of a full colour image of Tomos Williams and Cian Healy, next to a mock-up of what someone with red/green colour deficiency may see

Now obviously that's rugby and not football, it's a relevant issue for our sport too.

What really strikes me in that article is this line:

World Rugby has proposed new laws to help people affected by Colour Vision Deficiency (CVD), meaning teams may have to change kit from 2027 in the event of a colour clash.

2027???

Am I missing something? Couldn't one of them wear just white shirts? Or even one of their current away tops:

Macron - Wales Alternate Pro Shirt 2021 2022Ireland Rugby Jersey | Shop Irish Rugby | Elverys | Rugby | Elverys |  Elverys Ireland

Anyway, in a week where at least one football team has proved itself to be utterly out of touch, it's strangely comforting to know that we're not unique in that.

• Upvote 2

Most games are light vs dark to some extent these days, so it's not a problem. 

If it was a similar shade, then that's when I'd have difficulty.  It is not easy to explain, but if it was all red v all green, that's not necessarily going to be an issue.  Say, however, it was the type of shade where you turned the colour down to zero on the TV and they looked the same, that's when I'd struggle even in full technicolour.

I concede that description isn't going to win me a slot as a columnist in the Colour Blind Monthly publication.

3 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

It can be a nightmare for those of us afflicted with this!  Football is generally good for this though - I can't recall the last time I had an issue watching a game.

I recall it being a nightmare watching games on black & white TV. Ireland v Wales was a particularly difficult one. Grey tops, white shorts, grey socks. Very few teams changed strips, home or away. If the ref asked for a change, it was incumbent on the home team. Away teams only turned up with the one set of strips.

33 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

I recall it being a nightmare watching games on black & white TV. Ireland v Wales was a particularly difficult one. Grey tops, white shorts, grey socks. Very few teams changed strips, home or away. If the ref asked for a change, it was incumbent on the home team. Away teams only turned up with the one set of strips.

Snooker was much worse G.G. 🙂 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 1950Par said:

Snooker was much worse G.G. 🙂 

Not at all, Ted Lowe very helpfully helped by saying where the colours were.

"Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."

• Like 1