Pars v Jags

Superally

12 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Did Thistle even create a single decent chance in the second half? I’d imagine Yogi would’ve been relatively content with a scrappy second half and take the odd opportunity if it presented itself. 

Best I can think of was when Tiffony cut inside and shot. Mehmet held it, but it was going just wide anyway.

It's funny though, because I was pretty concerned for a lot of the second half, felt like a Partick goal was inevitable. In the cold light of day though, you're right, they never really had proper chances.

Great Team performance last night, they worked as a team back to front and front to back. The pressing preventing Partick playing was crucial in the win and opened up the spaces behind to allow the likes of Dom and Todd to get into.

Ambrose reminds me of Sol Bamba, 90% of the time does what he needs to, then he has a brain fart and thinks he is way better than he is dribbling out of defence, he got away with a couple last night which ought to have been punished.

Yes I think the last to performances have had a Scott Brown influence on them, it was a very typical old Celtic style, holding the midfield and letting the wing backs in from behind, then the long ball time to time when they spread wide to cut out the runners to leave them exposed.

The tactics for the first time in a long time were far from predictable, there was change, there was pace and different players moving and doing different things, we would have been a handful for any team last night.

Well Played Pars.

Fantastic team performance and the energy in the team was unreal,  the high press caused all sorts of problems and at times it looked like they had no full backs as they were constantly pulled out of position. Great support from the NW again, it's becoming infectious. Think we have played well in the last three games and hopefully this gives us a bit momentum for the trip up north.

8 hours ago, Grant said:

Donaldson has been very, very, very good. I didnt expect allot from the signing, and even less from him after his debut, but he's been our best cb for a good few seasons, IMO he's an upgrade on Connolly. Would love for him to be here next season. 

Donaldson has been an absolute monster since his second game. I liked Connolly but I agree he's more than filled the gap left. Wouldn't have minded seeing the two of them together.

• Upvote 2

Great team performance back to front. The thing I noticed most was the fitness and work rate that has been slowly building but was  lacking previously 

We were being out fought and out run by part time teams and made me wonder at times why are we full time 

C.O.Y.P.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Honk said:

Excellent performance which will hopefully put this constant bleating about 2 upfront to bed

Certainly if we keep doing that, yeah. If we revert to the form we've had for most of the last few months, then probably not.

The main thing for me is having Thomas playing - whether it's one up front or two, what a difference he makes. I cannot fathom why both Grant and Hughes excluded him for so much of the season. After the last two games though, he's surely cemented that LW spot for the remaining games.

2 hours ago, Honk said:

Excellent performance which will hopefully put this constant bleating about 2 upfront to bed. Big Effie was solid too. Great addition to the team. More of the same on Saturday please. 

No sure about solid Effie tbh buddy!  His errors and complacency will cost us, however, will they cost more than what he brings in terms of his passing out of defence - is the question that the rest of the season will soon answer.

The while 2 up front thing is always going to be in our fans psyche as a traditional element of previous play, exacerbated by recent success driven by “two up front”.  But you’re right, it’s nonsense.  You can play a 4-4-2 and be the most negative team in the land if the setup and instruction is to sit deep and soak and only hit on counter when the opportunity arises (may be never!).  Where I understand recent frustration is where the lone striker had been so isolated - McCann I felt was often hung out to dry as a man up front with zero support, thats more to do with the players and setup with support from wide and midfield, than formational setup. This seems to have been partly addressed over the last few games, but more to come.

A win on Saturday for me would be huge and really solidify progress.  No draw pls because I think there is a big opportunity to put pressure on those around us with a win.

1 hour ago, SanguinePar said:

Certainly if we keep doing that, yeah. If we revert to the form we've had for most of the last few months, then probably not.

The main thing for me is having Thomas playing - whether it's one up front or two, what a difference he makes. I cannot fathom why both Grant and Hughes excluded him for so much of the season. After the last two games though, he's surely cemented that LW spot for the remaining games.

Dom started first 3 under Hughes then got his operation. Maybe just wanted to nurse him back for the run in , far too important to lose for next 6 games 

The formation worked well on Tuesday as there was so much support for Kevin O’Hara. We saw both fullbacks popping up in the box to score. Players get the confidence to go forward when they know their teammates will cover them defensively and Pybus and Chalmers are bringing that.

The difference in a marked when they play with confidence and don’t go into their shells after one mistake. I hope they all carry that confidence forward into the next 6 games. I’d love to see us turn things round and stage a great escape.

1 hour ago, kelty_par said:

Dom started first 3 under Hughes then got his operation

Only his first 2 against Ayr and Partick, but fair enough, I forgot the operation (and I may have been rolling a little of the Grant period into my thinking on Hughes)

However that was in November, and DT was back on the bench by 29 January against QoS.

He then:

• stayed on the bench throughout a draw with Ayr
  • stayed on the bench throughout a loss at Killie
  • was a late sub (70m) in a draw at home against Killie
  • sat in the bench all game in a loss to Arbroath
  • came on with 6 minutes left in the draw at Hamilton

It's only against Morton and Partick that he's had more than a handful of minutes, and we've been noticeably better in those games. Without obviously knowing details of his week-by-week condition, I definitely feel like he could have played more against Arbroath and Hamilton and maybe the later of the Killie games too, at least. If he wasn't ready to at least come for at least 30 minutes or so, then he probably shouldn't even have been on the bench as early as he was.

Anyway, fingers crossed this is him back permanently and that he can continue to make enough of a difference. It's good to have a little hope again at least! 🙂