Jags v Pars

Superally

2 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I can't see that at all. 

The comparison with Williamson? Least Todd can actually tackle an opponent running at him in his own half. If Williamson was half the player most pars fans think he is then he wouldn’t be struggling mid table in league one

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Comrie is a better right back than Todd.  Todd has done ok there but I wouldn't have him in ahead of Comrie for a vital game.  

Weren’t all of our recent games vital? He played there in the two games we’ve won recently and will be high on confidence.

Comrie on the other has had his confidence shattered and was a shell of the player he was last year and hasn’t started, or played, for weeks. 

48 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

The comparison with Williamson? Least Todd can actually tackle an opponent running at him in his own half. If Williamson was half the player most pars fans think he is then he wouldn’t be struggling mid table in league one

Yes, but we're not talking about Williamson at 26, playing for Falkirk, after two serious injuries.  

23 minutes ago, Digs said:

Weren’t all of our recent games vital? He played there in the two games we’ve won recently and will be high on confidence.

Comrie on the other has had his confidence shattered and was a shell of the player he was last year and hasn’t started, or played, for weeks. 

I'd have played Comrie in those games too.  And he last played for us 11 days ago.

1 hour ago, kelty_par said:

Williamson was capped for Scotland U21s and got into the championship toty. At one point he was a fantastic prospect. 

• Upvote 1

I really rate comrie’s ability. Unfortunately it looks like grant has confused him to hell,  well I want you to play at a weird wide center back position where you are given no protection from midfield and little from wide back cos they’ll be in the opponent’s box.  No wait now I want you to be an essential part of the attack and be up alongside the strikers whenever we are in possession and yet somehow cover the ground and get back defensively, no wait I want you to play in a 4-4-2 at right back but I’ll still give you odd instructions. All that with very little time to adapt. 

Crawford gave him a winger to build a relationship with and secure center backs behind him. It’s a world of difference for him.

Todd has done a lot better than expected at right back and doesn’t deserve to be dropped. But that doesn’t relieve the frustration over not getting the best of comrie.

Turns out hiring the worst manager we’ve ever had has consequences. 

11 hours ago, kelty_par said:

Did you not say on here a while back that a bunch of diddys get called up to Scotland u21’s? 😂

From Premiership teams? Absolutely. Just look at all the old firm youths called up. 

To be called up while playing in the Championship? That's good going. The best achievement was getting into the Toty though, voted for by his fellow professionals he was judged to be the best right back at that level, to try and make out that he wasn't an exciting prospect is just so bizarre. 

Ryan showed bags of courage to come back from two horrific injuries but he was never the same player again. Showed plenty of promise in League 1 but never replicated that in the Championship. 

Back on topic, I'm thinking (hoping) QOS and Ayr draw on Sat, so we have to at least match that at Firhill so we can go into our last game with a slight edge, but still an edge, over Ayr.

I believe we can get a point but it will be tough.

Edited by GG Riva
To get back on topic.
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Ryan showed bags of courage to come back from two horrific injuries but he was never the same player again. Showed plenty of promise in League 1 but never replicated that in the Championship. 

I have no doubts if Ryan didn't have the two injuries he would be playing at a higher level. Hibs showed an interest in him at one point.

The way he was treated by some pars fans was shocking and eventually he had to take the decision to move on.

• Upvote 6

Todd has done very well in his wing back role. He's better going forward than Comrie and his youthful energy allows him to get back into a defensive back four when out of possession.

It's a shame for Comrie as he is normally very consistent and always gives 100% for the team, but whilst Hughes favours this shape, I can't see Comrie getting back in ahead of Todd.

Todd should be and will be starting ahead of Comrie, I’ve been surprised at how well he’s suited to the role. When we’ve played poorly and lost I’ve never thought once that it was because of how he played.

That being said, I think it would be really sad if we let Comrie go, he’d admit himself this season has been a right stinker for him but we know what he’s capable of, one of the bankers on the team sheet for many a season and rarely puts a foot wrong and with everything crossed that we manage to stay up this season and if we really want to make a promotion push next season if we can get Comrie back into the same headspace he had been in prior seasons he’d be a solid asset and I’d have him in before Todd. To have strong competition in that position as well is a positive.

As for Williamson, gutted for the lad for a number of reasons, I thought he had great potential, he used to take the ball and just run with it, used to be exciting when he got on it. His quality of cross at times was missing and yes he could brush up defensively but with a bit more coaching that was fixable. Alas as mentioned the injuries have really set him back and what’s more frustrating was one of them was needless, remember being at that Forfar game, win was in the bag and there was no reason to go in for that ball but he did and I ended up on the bus home feeling like we lost.

Additionally, the way he left the club leaves a sour taste, he had no interest in signing with us again despite having been offered a contract because of the way a small minority of fans behaved towards him and family. Despite what you thought of him as a player, as a person he was as loyal and hard working as they come which is pretty rare in football these days.

• Upvote 5