Jags v Pars

Superally

13 hours ago, Berry said:

Todd should be and will be starting ahead of Comrie, I’ve been surprised at how well he’s suited to the role. When we’ve played poorly and lost I’ve never thought once that it was because of how he played.

That being said, I think it would be really sad if we let Comrie go, he’d admit himself this season has been a right stinker for him but we know what he’s capable of, one of the bankers on the team sheet for many a season and rarely puts a foot wrong and with everything crossed that we manage to stay up this season and if we really want to make a promotion push next season if we can get Comrie back into the same headspace he had been in prior seasons he’d be a solid asset and I’d have him in before Todd. To have strong competition in that position as well is a positive.

This. I think Comrie's season is well below his standards he'd previously set for himself but I don't necessarily blame him for that. I think he's needed some concrete competition for the role for a while, and Matty has done a great job at providing it.

I've watched Matty since he was a kid, playing for the other team in the club I coached my son at, he wasn't the only one from that team, or my own, who went to Dunfermline but he was the only one who made it through to the first team. I've watched him also play against my son at pro-youth and together for the School team, as a striker, a no 10, a wide forward and a midfielder in all that time, roughly 9-10 years, and I never really knew what his best position was because I always just thought he was decent, rather than a stand out in all of those positions, including his stint in midfield for us. 

However, I think he has found his niche at full back. He's got the athleticism, decent pace, he isn't scared of a tackle and can defend, and he puts in a great ball with pace, so I'm keen for him to continue to do well to see how far he can go in that position, not least because he is genuinely a Pars fan and is living the dream. As I said in one of my earlier posts, he is very well thought of at Dunfermline, and by guys like John Potter who really believed in him, so you can guarantee, he will have been spoken about as one to watch in the game in Scotland, I am certain of that.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

Good to hear @Digs, appreciate the detailed insight. Didn't know he was a Pars fan, good lad! I'm still not 100% convinced RB is his position, but fingers crossed he proves me wrong.

He wouldn't be the first player to discover his best position isn't the one he started in.

10 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I think this spell at full back has been his best Todd has produced for us.

Putting him there when comrie was suspended was a surprise to many but he stood up to the challenge, it was a bigger surprise when he kept the shirt with comrie available but again he keeps performing in that role. 

There's an unwritten rule in football that you can't drop a player who keeps playing well....

On 18/04/2022 at 23:03, Secure Par said:

With the tattie field to play on I would play 4-4-2 with Todrov up front…. No playing out from the back and hit long.. keep them in their own half.

From what I have seen of Partick they play a lot in their own half. lots of possession up to the halfway line then back again.

After a huge win last time out can the Pars buck poor away form to take something at Firhill? I’d take a point and hopefully a QOS win to leave us safe from automatic relegation and with an advantage going in to the final game.

Hopefully Yogi’s footballing philosophy is flexible enough to adapt to the terrible pitch.