Prepare for the Play Offs

GG Riva

Yesterday`s results have confirmed that we`re safe from automatic relegation, but I reckon it`s about 95% certain that Ayr will be highly motivated to beat Partick, who have all but clinched 4th, on Friday. Of course the team should still go out and ensure they take 3 pts v QOS, who should not pose the same threat as if they were not already relegated, in the hope that Thistle do us an unlikely favour, or nerves get the better of Ayr.

None of us ever want to see the Pars in League 1 again. Most of us can remember the miseŕy of the first two seasons there and the relief when we were finally promoted. I hope JH and his coaching staff have been doing due diligence on our likely opponents over the past few weeks, since it`s been pretty obvious that they were almost certainly going to be Airdrie, Montrose and Queens Park. It`s just a shame Falkirk aren`t in the mix - I would have enjoyed seeing us give them a good scudding.

If we are destined for the play offs, I hope we approach them in a positive manner. The way they are set up gives the Championship team a significant advantage with the return leg at home. We must respect our opponents but not fear them. Be hard to beat away from home and finish them off at EEP. There is a gulf between the two league`s and quite frankly, if we can`t beat two teams who haven`t been good enough to win League 1 over 2 legs, we don`t deserve to stay up.

25 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Yesterday`s results have confirmed that we`re safe from automatic relegation, but I reckon it`s about 95% certain that Ayr will be highly motivated to beat Partick, who have all but clinched 4th, on Friday. Of course the team should still go out and ensure they take 3 pts v QOS, who should not pose the same threat as if they were not already relegated, in the hope that Thistle do us an unlikely favour, or nerves get the better of Ayr.

None of us ever want to see the Pars in League 1 again. Most of us can remember the miseŕy of the first two seasons there and the relief when we were finally promoted. I hope JH and his coaching staff have been doing due diligence on our likely opponents over the past few weeks, since it`s been pretty obvious that they were almost certainly going to be Airdrie, Montrose and Queens Park. It`s just a shame Falkirk aren`t in the mix - I would have enjoyed seeing us give them a good scudding.

If we are destined for the play offs, I hope we approach them in a positive manner. The way they are set up gives the Championship team a significant advantage with the return leg at home. We must respect our opponents but not fear them. Be hard to beat away from home and finish them off at EEP. There is a gulf between the two league`s and quite frankly, if we can`t beat two teams who haven`t been good enough to win League 1 over 2 legs, we don`t deserve to stay up.

I can see the Ayr, Thistle game ending a draw,  so at least if we can do the business  then you never know. Only advantage in Play Off is the top league, where the team in 2nd bottom plays 2 games. Home, 2nd leg or first in ours makes no difference. I've said before, don't fancy our chances in them, as too inconsistent and don't think the team has the bottle to do it.

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

After yesterday performance I have no confidence we’d get the results required to keep us up, hopefully yogi learned a lesson and to always play your strongest team no matter what as we clearly didn’t do that yesterday. I’m glad falkirk aren’t there as the thought of them sending us down doesn’t bear thinking about 

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Any news on Donaldson and Martin ? 

Seen both them sitting in the stands with Allan and Dorrans. Donaldson was apparently going to be ready yesterday, Martin and Dorrans are potentially going to be fine for Friday but seeing both haven’t played in weeks I can’t see them getting a game 

There seems to be a general assumption being made that Partick have 4th place sewn up and will therefore rest players.  I agree it will take some swing on goal difference for the Rovers to get 4th but one way of making that a possibility would be if both Thistle and Killie put out under strength teams.  If Thistle and Rovers were to tie on goal difference Rovers would go up as they would then have scored more.  I'd like to think McCall will want to make absolutely certain of 4th place and go all out for the win by playing his strongest 11.

Thankful we avoided the straight drop, I'd doubt McCall is going to do anything to put Ayr in trouble he's talking about resting players, as poor as the standard is for the teams we may play. They are all in reasonable form and have no pressure whatsoever on them. 

The fact of the matter is our set-up still doesn't appear to work and the manager seem reluctant to change anything during games. 

Three wins over an injury hit partick after multiple double headers, a win over a poor rovers after they'd just won the cup, and the luckiest win over Ayr. We are abysmal and the fact someone the standard of Pybus (Not having a go at him, just stating how poor the squad is) is my player of the year. I'm not sure how anyone could be confident in the play off's.

This week I think i'll give religion a bash and pray for a miracle on Friday.

"This week I think i'll give religion a bash and pray for a miracle on Friday."

I don't believe in miracles, but in football they do happen occasionally.

Remember Sunderland, some years back? They seemed absolute certainties to go down. Cut adrift at the bottom of the table with about 5 games to go, they travelled to London and spanked high flying Chelsea, 3-0. They went on a crazy unbeaten run after that to stay up. I think they may have been relegated the following season.

1 hour ago, Al k said:

Thankful we avoided the straight drop, I'd doubt McCall is going to do anything to put Ayr in trouble he's talking about resting players, as poor as the standard is for the teams we may play. They are all in reasonable form and have no pressure whatsoever on them. 

The fact of the matter is our set-up still doesn't appear to work and the manager seem reluctant to change anything during games. 

Three wins over an injury hit partick after multiple double headers, a win over a poor rovers after they'd just won the cup, and the luckiest win over Ayr. We are abysmal and the fact someone the standard of Pybus (Not having a go at him, just stating how poor the squad is) is my player of the year. I'm not sure how anyone could be confident in the play off's.

So against Partick at home, Dom Thomas got 2 assists and a goal and ripped them apart, and we drop him and give him 10 mins yesterday? How on earth is that even possible? Yogi deliberately not playing his best starting team has now got us relying on other results to keep us up automatically 

• Upvote 2

Well I was one who wanted Hughes in when bombscare Grant was punted and well well he is another bombscare that speaks utter nonesense on how he sets up and the team plays.

Hes far to old school in his own wee world and should not be near EEP next season whatever league we are in.

His formations are far to defensive and team selection is crazy at times. I just can’t wait for this **** show of a season to end and the club can get itself in order for the new season to start. The new CEO has some job on his hands.

A season to forget but the only positive is the young guys in backing the team every week in/out.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Al k said:

Ian McCall may well have an affinity with Ayr but it didn't stop him leaving when Partick knocked on his door.  In fact when he took the job on he said he had unfinished business at Firhill so that's one reason why I think he'll go all out for the win.  Another reason is that a Partick win or draw doesn't condemn Ayr to League 1 as our result could go Ayr's way and beyond that they have the play offs.

I'm not worried about Partick's starting 11 but I am about ours.  As you and so many others have pointed out, Yogi's more than capable of picking a team to throw 3 points away.  I'll join you in your prayers even though my letter to Santa Claus did us bugger all good.

I was all for giving yogi the benefit of the doubt as in terms of it’s not fully his squad, however that team selection was a disgrace on Saturday. Not picking your strongest possible 11 is ridiculous and after that I honestly would be happy to see the back of him regardless if we stay up or go down

• Upvote 1