Prepare for the Play Offs

GG Riva

2 hours ago, SoorPloomPar said:

Ian McCall may well have an affinity with Ayr but it didn't stop him leaving when Partick knocked on his door.  In fact when he took the job on he said he had unfinished business at Firhill so that's one reason why I think he'll go all out for the win.  Another reason is that a Partick win or draw doesn't condemn Ayr to League 1 as our result could go Ayr's way and beyond that they have the play offs.

I'm not worried about Partick's starting 11 but I am about ours.  As you and so many others have pointed out, Yogi's more than capable of picking a team to throw 3 points away.  I'll join you in your prayers even though my letter to Santa Claus did us bugger all good.

As Partick manager, it's McCall's duty to do his best to get his team promoted through the play offs. He can best go about that by resting his key players on Friday, in what is essentially a meaningless match for Thistle, so that they're fresh and injury free v ICT a week tomorrow. Ayr will be delighted to eke out a narrow win which will guarantee them 8th. I can't see them fail but hope springs eternal. 🤞That's why we must make sure we beat QOS.

If Ayr were to lose or draw and we fail to beat QOS, it would be hard to forgive the players and manager. The pain of that defeat against already relegated Airdrie, in the last game of the administration season, to condemn us to the play offs, still burns deep in the memory. A defeat to Alloa meant League 1 football for the next 3 seasons. ☹ We don't want to repeat that again.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GG Riva said:

As Partick manager, it's McCall's duty to do his best to get his team promoted through the play offs. He can best go about that by resting his key players on Friday, in what is essentially a meaningless match for Thistle, so that they're fresh and injury free v ICT a week tomorrow. Ayr will be delighted to eke out a narrow win which will guarantee them 8th. I can't see them fail but hope springs eternal. 🤞That's why we must make sure we beat QOS.

If Ayr were to lose or draw and we fail to beat QOS, it would be hard to forgive the players and manager. The pain of that defeat against already relegated Airdrie, in the last game of the administration season, to condemn us to the play offs, still burns deep in the memory. A defeat to Alloa meant League 1 football for the next 3 seasons. ☹ We don't want to repeat that again.

GG, I think you have quoted me out of context.  In my first contribution to this thread I acknowledged that a swing in the goal difference to favour Rovers' is unlikely.  However, it remains a fact that Rovers can still qualify so it's McCall's duty to ensure qualification first and foremost. You mentioned a great escape earlier, well it wouldn't be the first time Thistle have conceded 10 goals in the last game of the season against a team fighting for survival. 😧

That day Airdrie beat us I was in Leicester at a cousin's 60th birthday party, coincidentally Leicester were still in the Championship and that day they qualified for their play offs too.  The Leicester guests were celebrating and the Fife contingent were despondent.  The Leicester fans couldn't understand we why were so miserable, after all we were in the play offs!!

It being on Friday night will help give us an extra day to recover, as Queen’s Park will be a week on Wednesday at firhill. If it is the play offs, the players should feel fortunate that they have a chance to put it right as it’s been an absolute shambles start to finish this season

56 minutes ago, SoorPloomPar said:

GG, I think you have quoted me out of context.  In my first contribution to this thread I acknowledged that a swing in the goal difference to favour Rovers' is unlikely.  However, it remains a fact that Rovers can still qualify so it's McCall's duty to ensure qualification first and foremost. You mentioned a great escape earlier, well it wouldn't be the first time Thistle have conceded 10 goals in the last game of the season against a team fighting for survival. 😧

That day Airdrie beat us I was in Leicester at a cousin's 60th birthday party, coincidentally Leicester were still in the Championship and that day they qualified for their play offs too.  The Leicester guests were celebrating and the Fife contingent were despondent.  The Leicester fans couldn't understand we why were so miserable, after all we were in the play offs!!

Apologies, if I've quoted you out of context, soorploom. I  hadn't seen your earlier post. If Rovers finish above Thistle, I'll be asking for a stewards inquiry all the same. 🤔

In that Airdrie game, Ryan Wallace missed a hat trick of very presentable chances in the first half. Talented player but not a natural predator.

2 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Apologies, if I've quoted you out of context, soorploom. I  hadn't seen your earlier post. If Rovers finish above Thistle, I'll be asking for a stewards inquiry all the same. 🤔

In that Airdrie game, Ryan Wallace missed a hat trick of very presentable chances in the first half. Talented player but not a natural predator.

Thank you GG, you're a gent.  Naturally we're all concerned about our situation, we've all got our own theories about how things will pan out, and when our manager makes baffling team selections like he did at the weekend it's hard not to have the fear.

On of contract will nearly all be 31st may. 

Loans will be until the transfer window opens. (I think June 9th), some of the contracts will be the same.

The spfl tried to stop the scenario you’re worried about where clubs are scrambling to get players to extend contracts to cover the play-off

Edited by parsforlife

40 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

On of contract will nearly all be 31st may. 

Loans will be until the transfer window opens. (I think June 9th), some of the contracts will be the same.

The spfl tried to stop the scenario you’re worried about where clubs are scrambling to get players to extent contracts to cover the play-offs

Cheers.

Start of the season the club was probably budgeting on a top 4 finish so assume contracts till end of may as it would’ve covered promotion play offs. Here’s hoping we can do the business Friday and we are safe, and start planning our Squad immediately and get rid of the vast majority of this squad 

Dorrans going to be playing 30 mins on Friday,he has missed the last 8 games. The second highest paid player in the championship after Lafferty and is usually in the stand. Just shows you how poor the player recruitment has been at the club,he was out for ages at Rangers and we give him a 2 year contract.

2 hours ago, kelty_par said:

Start of the season the club was probably budgeting on a top 4 finish so assume contracts till end of may as it would’ve covered promotion play offs. Here’s hoping we can do the business Friday and we are safe, and start planning our Squad immediately and get rid of the vast majority of this squad 

There is the next concern, players who know they will not be here next season.

What does it matter to them to be busting a gut for the team on Friday or in the play offs, their only concern is going to be not to get injured preventing them from signing for us or another club and earning a living.

We will really be relying on the longer contract players to give 110% knowing that their futures are impacted the most with any demotion.