What ifs, buts and maybes

Rossmcno1

Football is full of sliding door moments and at the Pars we’ve had a few belters over the years.

Whats been your favourite “what if” moment over the years, be it a positive one or a negative one.

Some come to mind immediately for me:-

— if El Bakhtaoui had stayed for our first season in the Championship with that team, I wonder how it would have gone

- If Stuart Douglas had seen the Balde handball in 2004 cup final, would we have really gone on to win?

- if Dorus hadn’t dropped the ball at Inverness would we have gone on to stay up and Stephen Kenny been a huge success?

Let’s no go there with “what if we hadn’t appointed Peter Grant” just yet 😉😂

What if, when Rangers died, the SPFL (or was it SPL then?) had kept (12th placed) us up in the top flight instead of fast-tracking Dundee from the second tier?

I can't recall off the top of my head, but I'm sure there was precedent for that, with one club dying and the team that would have been relegated being saved as a result. Not for us though, probably because to do so would have been a clear admission of the truth of Rangers' demise - the way they did it allowed the "relegation" lie to take hold in the popular opinion.

Another one, what if Skerla had just hoofed that ball away in the last minute at Perth?

We would have won on away goals, and got to the next round. The fans would likely not have turned on Hay quite so quickly/vehemently, and the club might have done better as a result during the rest of the season, and stayed up.

• Upvote 1

One more, and possibly a bit controversial: What if Norrie hadn't died?

How would we have done the rest of that season? Would we have pulled together for promotion? How would Norrie be remembered by now, as a former player?

No offence is intended by this, it's just interesting to think about.

46 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

What if, when Rangers died, the SPFL (or was it SPL then?) had kept (12th placed) us up in the top flight instead of fast-tracking Dundee from the second tier?

I can't recall off the top of my head, but I'm sure there was precedent for that, with one club dying and the team that would have been relegated being saved as a result. Not for us though, probably because to do so would have been a clear admission of the truth of Rangers' demise - the way they did it allowed the "relegation" lie to take hold in the popular opinion.

Doncaster played that well, as much as i can't stand the guy. In the SPL there had been no precedent for that as Gretna had finished bottom that time. Although we never knew exactly what was going on fully in the background of the club, they knew fine well we were struggling to pay players and make ends meet. St Johnstone were unhappy about the fact we still hadn't paid them for loaning rusty and then signed him after promotion the season before, i believe there was an official complaint about it. Players that still hadn't received promotion bonus and/or payoffs from being released. Jim had issues with his dismissal payment too if i remember rightly?

The writing was on the wall for them and our possible liquidation, they didn't want the embarrassment of a second club in as many years. Dundee being runners-up and slight draw of a Dundee derby for tv after losing the old firm game.

I am still enraged about it but it's understandable, a friend that worked for the SPL at the time confirmed this was the case a few months ago to me when i was back up. He did also reckon if our finances weren't as bad at the time they prob would have still went down the same route because of TV companies not being happy about The Rangers starting in League two.

Not offensive at all SP.  I would like to think we would have gone on to win the league in 96 regardless but you can’t ignore how that team pulled together in such incredibly sad circumstances.  Would Norrie have gone on to be a great manager and coach? Who knows.

As for the Rangers point, I might be wrong but I don’t recall a massive groundswell among our support to “appeal” that relegation.  Almost felt as if we deserved it and that was it, regardless of the situation in Govan.

And yes for Skerla v Hafnarfjorduur (or whatever), read Stuart Armstrong v England 😂

1 hour ago, SanguinePar said:

I believe Motherwell were the beneficiaries of Brockville not being up to Premier League standard.

One for me is what if McManus squared it to Fraser aird up at tannadice in the play off game there. I genuinely think we could’ve got promoted through the play offs that year and look at Livingston since that, survived every year so far and very unlucky to not get top 6, I always feel that could’ve been us 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

One more, and possibly a bit controversial: What if Norrie hadn't died?

How would we have done the rest of that season? Would we have pulled together for promotion? How would Norrie be remembered by now, as a former player?

No offence is intended by this, it's just interesting to think about.

The last few seasons I've often wondered what if Norrie was managing us now.

5 hours ago, Al k said:

The writing was on the wall for them and our possible liquidation, they didn't want the embarrassment of a second club in as many years. 

If that's true though, they put their wish to avoid potential embarrassment above giving us the best chance at surviving. It's like finding a collapsed person in your bar and dropping them off in the alley out back so they don't die on the premises. Bar-stewards.

• Upvote 1