New Manager thread......

Superally

Nah imo we need a manager that’s never been associated with the club and works well with the new CEO on our new venture with youth and long term plan to get us back up to the top league.

A manager to come in, not know anyone from the club and say “that’s what I’m planning over the next 3/5 years” The club back him and inform the supporters of what is happening and get behind the team… no nonesense and him and his staff concentrate on the football. 

The new venture with youth didn’t work and essentially stopped last season when we started bringing in experience.

I can’t see the youth venture working anyway to be honest.

Whoever takes the role is going to fail if the fans don’t back him and aren’t patient enough to give him time, not a few months before calling for their head but we need to give the right kind of manager a few years and accept that we may not get immediate success that we crave…short term pain, long term gain and all that.

4 minutes ago, Berry said:

The new venture with youth didn’t work and essentially stopped last season when we started bringing in experience.

I can’t see the youth venture working anyway to be honest.

Whoever takes the role is going to fail if the fans don’t back him and aren’t patient enough to give him time, not a few months before calling for their head but we need to give the right kind of manager a few years and accept that we may not get immediate success that we crave…short term pain, long term gain and all that.

But we will have our own youth academy and not the fife elite so focus on young players that are brought in and developed through the club.

A 3-5 year plan imo is the way to go and get everyone involved at the club plus get community involvement… there’s hundreds of kids that play and love football down at Pitreavie every weekend…..give tickets away or buy a adult ticket and child goes free… get players/coaches or even volunteers down to speak to the parents watching etc. 

Thats only Pitreavie so head out to the Glenrothes leagues youth to promote the pars? 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Tartan Army Par said:

Got to disagree. Airdrie were hovering around the relegation play-off spots when he took over. He's not had money to spend and still had them playing attacking football and much improved results. He previously took part-time Dumbarton to 5th in the championship and kept them up a few times. The St Mirren job wasn't good but was only for 6 months and was still in his mid 30's then. May have learned a lot from that.

I think he has something as a manger. Comes across well too.

He’s finished 5th, 3rd and 2nd twice with Airdrie hasn’t he?  Decent budget for League 1, he’s not really pulled up the trees or over achieved. Hence why I’m saying he’s not progressed them that much.  He may be the answer, but I don’t see it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Berry said:

I’m not keen on Ian Murray, don’t think he’s really done that well to be honest.

Kevin Thomson, has he done enough, hard not to do well with Kelty Hearts to be honest, wouldn’t be ecstatic but content if he was to take it.

No to McGhee and Rice.

I have to stick with my heart on this one and go Petrie.

I think this is the perfect time for him to join if he ever wanted the gig. He won’t have the pressure in his first season of putting together a serious title challenge in the Championship but instead a promotion push in League One, a league which he has a lot of experience in. If you consider what he’s been able to do with Montrose, think what the potential is with a bigger budget with us. 

He’ll also have the opportunity to completely shape the squad how he wants it.

In addition, he is a Pars great, I’m not one for hiring just because they are ex pars, but Petrie will 100% get the support he needs from the fans and will bring us all together which is much needed. This and his current credentials…..

Come back home son.

Stuart Petrie is a good shout, but I know for a fact he didn't apply after Grant was sacked. If he doesn't apply again, should the Board head hunt him? Ooerr.....

I also know that Dick Campbell did apply last time but wasn't interviewed. Will he apply again and would he be interviewed this time? I doubt it.

I don't know myself how serious this is but Alan Johnston skooshed League 1 with both QOS and the Pars so he knows what it takes. He also did relatively well in a stronger Championship than we had last season, until the wheels came off in his last season at EEP. He's unemployed now and would probably jump at a 12 month contract.

Petrie would be my first choice if he can be persuaded to come.

The best way for the club to start is to set out the attributes they want from the new manager. David Cook has mentioned energy, drive and enthusiasm - but this seems all like the same thing and not really sufficient in itself, we could all bring that. In 2015 the club set out that they wanted a young manager with a commitment to attacking football and a record of success in league 1. Alan Johnston was appointed and won the league in style.

Another he important point is that the structure behind the scenes, medical staff, youth coaching, scouting etc should be set up so it can operate even if the manager has to change - this is a better path to sustainable success as the man to get as promoted out of league 1 might not be the man to take us up to the Premiership.

• Upvote 1

It's not easy to get the right manager in. Look at Dundee and Hibs for example. Spent lots of money and still failed. Then you have guys like David Martindale. Probably viewed as a cheap option by the fans at the time, but it has been a good fit.

Personally, I'd give Kevin Thomson a whirl

Petrie not applying for the initial opportunity I wouldn’t say was a negative, worked out to be the wise decision for him I reckon in the end.

It shows his loyalty to Montrose as well in that he was in the middle of doing a job for them.

Im not reading too much into all this bank chat, that’s all hearsay.

As for Dick Campbell, there’s something that just doesn’t feel right with him being our man in charge although must admit if he applied again it would be difficult not to give him the job after what he’s done with Arbroath this season, unless it’s politics and petty squabbling/poor relationships with board members.

Allan Johnson, well that would put a cat amongst the pigeons, certainly has the credentials to get us back up. Doubt the majority of fans will see it that way though.

7 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

If the board reached out to Petrie or Jack Ross and they accepted the job, I wonder if there would there still be the same clamour about the process as there was when Grant was appointed?

No, because it meets the demands of the mob. Football fans are right about everything and the board is always universally wrong no matter what they do, did you not know this?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Berry said:

Petrie not applying for the initial opportunity I wouldn’t say was a negative, worked out to be the wise decision for him I reckon in the end.

It shows his loyalty to Montrose as well in that he was in the middle of doing a job for them.

Im not reading too much into all this bank chat, that’s all hearsay.

As for Dick Campbell, there’s something that just doesn’t feel right with him being our man in charge although must admit if he applied again it would be difficult not to give him the job after what he’s done with Arbroath this season, unless it’s politics and petty squabbling/poor relationships with board members.

Allan Johnson, well that would put a cat amongst the pigeons, certainly has the credentials to get us back up. Doubt the majority of fans will see it that way though.

I agree with all of this.  @GG Rivas shout with this on AJ isn’t that bad a shout.  League 1 the guy has a track record better than any on the market I’d suggest?  However we all know it would be poison the minute things weren’t going bang on to plan.  

1 hour ago, Digs said:

No, because it meets the demands of the mob. Football fans are right about everything and the board is always universally wrong no matter what they do, did you not know this?

That’s a bit disingenuous really, isn’t it? Clearly nobody is suggesting that. 

Edited by Keyser Soze

49 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

If the board reached out to Petrie or Jack Ross and they accepted the job, I wonder if there would there still be the same clamour about the process as there was when Grant was appointed?

I'd want anyone who got the job to have gone through a proper process alongside other suitable candidates - it shouldn't just be a case of giving someone the job. I think if that were to happen it'd still be wrong, but there'd be less clamour because of Petrie's existing ties with the club and his successful recent track record, neither of which Grant had.

• Upvote 1