Australia v Peru WC Play Off

GG Riva

Just watched the highlights. The Aussies brought on their sub goalie for the penalty shoot out and he danced around on his goal line before every Peru pen, in a blatant attempt to put the kickers off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61771218

The Aussies probably deserved to win, but how can that kind of gamesmanship be within the rules? 

I have noticed a lot of bitter comments from Scots and Italians aimed at the Aussie goalkeeper actually. Maybe it’s just a coincidence that those two countries failed to qualify and it’s not all stemming from jealousy. I’m not so sure of that myself though. 

It also definitely wasn’t a hindrance as @DA-go Par Adonis claims above as he’s made numerous saves in the past employing the same behaviour to get in the takers head. 

Edited by Keyser Soze
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

I have noticed a lot of bitter comments from Scots and Italians aimed at the Aussie goalkeeper actually. Maybe it’s just a coincidence that those two countries failed to qualify and it’s not all stemming from jealousy. I’m not so sure of that myself though. 

It also definitely wasn’t a hindrance as @DA-go Par Adonis claims above as he’s made numerous saves in the past employing the same behaviour to get in the takers head. 

This particular Italian has put the double disappointment of both Italy and Scotland failing to qualify behind him, in the knowledge that the Qatar WC is a good one to miss.

Signed. A Fox 

• Upvote 2

Difficult to say for definite either way, Keyser. For instance, I thought the 2nd penalty last night looked saveable. Either Redmayne thought he was going down the middle or was dancing about so much, he wasn't set properly and it was past him by the time he reacted.

As I also said however, they're through, so the antics and decision by Arnold are both vindicated.

Edited by DA-go Par Adonis

7 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

Agree that it's within the rules, but it's a wee bit silly. I wonder what would have happened if the strikers had just waited him out? Like, "Ok mate, you do your dance - I'll be ready when you get tired..."

It's more than "A wee bit silly", SP. It's a cynical strategy to increase the already considerable pressure on the kicker. I would like to see us go back to the keeper not being able to move before the ball is kicked.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

The penalty taker is already at a massive advantage for goodness sake. This vendetta against goalkeepers is outrageous. 

I thought I'd check out your claim, Keyser. In game penalties have a success rate of around 78%, so perhaps the hyperbole is justified. I couldn't find any stats for shoot out success other than that the team who goes first wins 60% of the time.

You have to think the pressure in a shoot out is much greater, so I don't think goalkeepers should be allowed to behave in a completely unsporting manner.