Australia v Peru WC Play Off

GG Riva

19 minutes ago, Number Eleven said:

I think the goalies are entitled to dance around, in the same way the a penalty taker can hop and skip to try to put the goalie off. The penalty shootout is a psychological battle and so trying to put off your opponent is part of that.

Agreed - but it's similarly undignified when they do it! 😉

3 hours ago, Number Eleven said:

I think the goalies are entitled to dance around, in the same way the a penalty taker can hop and skip to try to put the goalie off. The penalty shootout is a psychological battle and so trying to put off your opponent is part of that.

I yearn for the time when the keeper had to keep his feet rooted to the goal line until the ball was kicked and the kicker was only permitted a straight run without all the faffing about. Simple and straightforward. 

The more the law makers tamper with the Laws of the Game, the more they screw it up. Just look at what they've done to the offside law and handball. 😨

16 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Just watched the highlights. The Aussies brought on their sub goalie for the penalty shoot out and he danced around on his goal line before every Peru pen, in a blatant attempt to put the kickers off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61771218

The Aussies probably deserved to win, but how can that kind of gamesmanship be within the rules? 

Big up the keeper here, boys done a great job and made himself a hero. Not an easy role to be chucked into.  He’s not done a single thing wrong. 

15 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I thought he was more of a hindrance to himself to be honest. I guess it worked as they got through.

It’s obvious tough to time being set right for the shot but if he gets it right fair play. 

14 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Whatever happened to the Corinthian ideal in sport? Maybe the player who missed the decisive kick should have run up and booted him in the baws. 😃

Keeper should have run up to the striker and given him double Vs.  Miss a penalty and it’s on your head and your head only. If you want to blame anyone else get it right up ye.

12 hours ago, GG Riva said:

It's more than "A wee bit silly", SP. It's a cynical strategy to increase the already considerable pressure on the kicker.

I would like to see us go back to the keeper not being able to move before the ball is kicked.

1. THATS HIS JOB.  

2. absolutely get ****ed with that idea , strikers have a ridiculous advantage as things stand, keepers must do everything they can to try and equalise the balance.  If we want things to be equal the simply say both striker and keeper must stay still until whistle is blown and then both can move, soon stop strikers acting the ****.

9 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

Another twist...

This keeper looks increasingly like a bit of a p***k

This is ****ing glorious. Mon the keeper.

58 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

Much clearer footage:

I can't see how this is glorious. It's pathetic behaviour IMO. I hope the Aussies get stuffed at the WC.

C’mon man, lighten up. It’s tremendous behaviour. I’d be fully supportive of our ‘keeper doing similar to win us a game tbh. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze said:

C’mon man, lighten up. It’s tremendous behaviour. I’d be fully supportive of our ‘keeper doing similar to win us a game tbh. 

I’m not so sure,  IMO he’s not considered the full extent of his actions…

Would have been better to have nicked the bottle and tried to give his strikers a heads up on where the keeper would go. 

1 hour ago, Digs said:

I’m all behind this keeper to be honest. If you’re incapable of remembering which way players go for their pens then that’s on you. 

It's not necessarily a question of being incapable (although, so what if he was? Are we saying people with bad memories aren't allowed to play now?)

The fact is that this was a piece of the keeper's equipment, which the other guy had no business touching let alone throwing away. If he had thrown away the guys gloves or boots, would that be ok too?

It shows a complete lack of professional respect (not to mention self-respect). I would never want to win like that.

2 hours ago, Digs said:

I’m all behind this keeper to be honest. If you’re incapable of remembering which way players go for their pens then that’s on you. 

On another note, a story of Martin Boyle’s celebrations in four parts…

A9F493D0-5078-4F41-A1E3-672CB768C9F4.jpeg78DC0979-ACE9-426B-9EC8-5A174E5ED659.jpeg697C7998-AC27-4E71-A3E7-A479D111D59F.jpeg

4E9EA983-5B86-443C-8DEC-9AE5BF5F94C3.jpeg

Notes for penalties are fairly common.  But if you're going to use them then be a bit smart about it and not leave it lying around for the other team,  tho you can probably bet he won't do it again.

Its the same when a note comes on with tactical changes,  every once in a while somebody gets caught napping and have an opponent nick it out their hands, but most of the time the notes are tucked away into socks and only handed around/read when there's no opponent about.

Fair play to boyle, looks like he enjoyed it

4 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

It's not necessarily a question of being incapable (although, so what if he was? Are we saying people with bad memories aren't allowed to play now?)

The fact is that this was a piece of the keeper's equipment, which the other guy had no business touching let alone throwing away. If he had thrown away the guys gloves or boots, would that be ok too?

It shows a complete lack of professional respect (not to mention self-respect). I would never want to win like that.

No, I’m saying if you’re going to try to gain an advantage by bringing little notes into the park then it’s tough titties if your opponent removes that advantage by getting rid of the note if you leave it lying about. 

A water bottle isn’t equipment either, he doesn’t need one to be a goalkeeper. 

Finally, nice guys finish last. He didn’t cheat, he just beat the guy at his own game. Personally, I’d want my players to kick their grannie to win a game as important as that and get it right up their opponents. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Would you rather lose a Scottish Cup final to Raith Rovers on penalties than win with our ‘keeper behaving like the Aussie?

Yes. Well, maybe... it's not that I would want to lose exactly. But I wouldn't want to win like that (which is what I said).

Considering it further, I probably would still want to win, I guess - but something like that would spoil it for me.