Friendly last night

Kaiser Chief

We played a game against Hill o Beath last night at Michael Woods Centre. Was a last minute additional game to give extra minutes in the legs. All available players played at least 45 mins. I thought Hamilton was good and Benedictus captained the side and sounds like a good organiser. Breen was very commanding and looked a lot leaner. Of the youngsters I`d say Rennie & Beagley looked particularly good. Sam Young played 90 mins and got better as the game went on. We won 3-0. Pick of the goals was a cool finish by Wighton.

• Upvote 5

If Wighton is fit and motivated, I think he should score goals in League 1.  I don't blame Hughes for loaning him out last season though as he looked totally disinterested to me.

I know his game is more to link play and finish off chances - rather than rushing about harassing defenders - but I think I racked up more steps going on the bridie run at half-time than he did in an entire half of football during one of the league games last season.  Fair enough if the manager is terrible but at least try and show something when you're on the pitch for the folks in the stands paying your wages.

He also started 16 Championship games and came off the bench in another 11 in 2021/22 - and managed a grand total of zero league goals - so he's not coming into the season with much momentum.

41 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

If Wighton is fit and motivated, I think he should score goals in League 1.  I don't blame Hughes for loaning him out last season though as he looked totally disinterested to me.

I know his game is more to link play and finish off chances - rather than rushing about harassing defenders - but I think I racked up more steps going on the bridie run at half-time than he did in an entire half of football during one of the league games last season.  Fair enough if the manager is terrible but at least try and show something when you're on the pitch for the folks in the stands paying your wages.

He also started 16 Championship games and came off the bench in another 11 in 2021/22 - and managed a grand total of zero league goals - so he's not coming into the season with much momentum.

I think a fit and motivated Wighton should tear this league up and the manager said last night that he has spoken at length with him about last year and the standards he needs to hit this year and it seems Wighton is on board. Time will tell.

To be fair to him. It's not necessarily always about just doing what the manager says. If it doesn't suit your game then you are always going to look like a fish out of water. I always 100% take issue with anyone who says players don't try. Fans seem to believe this myth that for you to be of any value, you need to be running about like a daftie at all times, Pars fans have always loved a busy fool. Nicky Clarke is a great reverse example, he didn't chase down defenders doing doggies, so was branded lazy yet won more front post headers defending corners than some of our defenders.

I'm not saying hard work is unimportant, I'm saying it's about what you do, and I totally agree with you that his game is about link up and getting on the end of chances, he's never going to chase down lost causes, it's just not how he plays. O'Hara and McCann are far better at that, but they are also less competent at some of his good traits, it's horses for courses.

He was clearly miserable last year under a manager who didn't fancy him, and in my view, chucked him under a bus to perpetuate his fantasies of what was required regarding 'heart and desire' being the be all and end all, which as the new manager pointed out last night, is just the least you expect, ie the foundation you build on. In my view, a good manager gets the best out of individuals, and from what was said last night, it sounds like the new manager feels the same, certainly in regards to Wighton.  

• Upvote 2

"I always 100% take issue with anyone who says players don't try. Fans seem to believe this myth that for you to be of any value, you need to be running about like a daftie at all times, Pars fans have always loved a busy fool."

I agree but I've never been one of them.  I'm not into players running around diving into unnecessary challenges just to try and show us all how much they care.  Hughes obviously didn't fancy him but Peter Grant gave him plenty of opportunity and he didn't look like he wanted to be on the park most of the time I saw him.  

I really like and rate Wighton and agree that him on form will bang in goals at this level, clearly wasn’t favoured last season which I think was a mistake and I’m actually relieved that he appears to be staying with us.

The most natural finisher we have in our squad.

I do take a bit of an issue with the lack of effort, as mentioned above, fans can relate lack of effort to not running about all the time, that is exactly what I wouldn’t want him to do. O’Hara and McCann are better positioned to be chasing balls and putting the pressure on the back four.

I just want Wighton to be switched on, getting in the right positions and taking the chances when they come because the boy can finish.

Its almost like a game of tag back at school where you just used to always run about regardless if you were the one being chased, when you’re better just chilling out a bit, conserve the energy and use it when you need to.

Maybe I shouldn't have included the throw away line about his lack of steps during one of the games.

However, I think he looked disinterested - and I'm basing that up against his performances for us in the previous season rather than in comparison to, for example, Kenny Miller, in his prime, leading the line for Scotland.  I don't think anyone expects Wighton to be playing like that.