Pars v Buckie Thistle

Superally

Comfortable Pars win tonight against Buckie who failed to really test the home side. The central defensive pairing were not tested and Breen looked decent and was unlucky not to have scored twice. Comrie and Edwards did try to negate the absence of an out and out winger by playing the wing back role reasonably well. Mehmet didn’t have to do anything in defence but looked confident in what he did do and far from the utter shambles he was early last season.  McCann looks to have more confidence – still has to work on his first touch but there is a improvement in his overall play from last season and he will be a handful for other teams defences. Toderov was unlucky not to get his hat trick but seemed to have a strikers instinct of being in the right place at the right time. McDonald looked to lack some fitness and was unable to provide the width that we missed but did provide the assistance for one goal. Was delighted for Andrew Tod who played with huge enthusiasm and despite his gangly appearance is actually quite effective. Over all I thought we did really well and had some good movement without having to depend on long balls. COYP

• Upvote 1

A really dominant performance from the Pars tonight. There were a few wrong decisions for the final ball that stopped the score line being more emphatic.

Kyle Benedictus showed good leadership and Josh Edwards was man of the match for me.

Buckie are 2 leagues below us and so we were expected to win but some real positive signs for the new season.

• Upvote 1

I’m going to be a little controversial, I didn’t enjoy the performance as much as others, I felt we could and should’ve done better.

Firstly we need to be more clinical in front of goal, ironic I know considering we scored 5 goals but against stronger opposition we need to put they chances early on away as we’re not going to get as many goal scoring opportunities going forward.

I thought we were a bit poor on the ball, slack with the passing and losing the ball unnecessarily. O’Hara puts in the effort but he’s the one that stood out the most for me in that regards.

Defensively we clearly weren’t tested but there was that one gift we almost gave them, we need to try eradicate that and remove any complacency.

Kept an eye on McPake and it was good to see that he was visually getting frustrated the odd time as well so he’s clearly picking up things we need to improve on.

I left the game happy with the win ofcourse but thinking how it may have been if there was better opposition in front of us.

That being said, look, it’s a 5-0 win with a team that’s still essentially in preseason with players still to come in the door. Was also great to see a lot of youth getting the opportunity so a lot of positives, just feet firmly still on the ground!

• Upvote 1

Great win for us last night but haven't seen it mentioned that Falkirk beat His 1-0 last night.

So improvements will certainly be required to ensure we don't end up playing second best to that mob all season/

I'm still struggling to understand who is bankrolling them when you read the financial crisis they appear to be in.

Job done and 5 goals so you can't complain.

I'm hesitant to look too much into these games though. We were gubbing Dumbarton and Stenhousemuir this time last season and look what happened when the league campaign started. It's a different ball game.

I still have doubts about our midfield. I really like Hamilton in that anchor role but think we lack creativity and quality on the ball in front of him.  Dorrans might bring something if he gets fit but I think we need another new signing in there. Need wide options clearly and CB +GK back up.

Edited by Tartan Army Par
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tartan Army Par said:

Job done and 5 goals so you can't complain.

I'm hesitant to look too much into these games though. We were gubbing Dumbarton and Stenhousemuir this time last season and look what happened when the league campaign started. It's a different ball game.

I still have doubts about our midfield. I really like Hamilton in that anchor role but think we lack creativity and quality on the ball in front of him.  Dorrans might bring something if he gets fit but I think we need another new signing in there. Need wide options clearly and CB +GK back up.

I would say we look a lot more solid at the back. We were beating those teams bit still managed to lose a goal and lucky not to have conceded at a couple in those two games.

Early days but happy where we are going, get a couple of creative player we should be good. 

I notice QoS also thumped Ayr 3-0 at Somerset. I thought our result disguised a performance which for long spells was turgid. We have no natural width.  McDonald isnt the answer.

We really need a creative/ attacking Centre Mid and 2 wide men. Throw in a CB and keeper then thats at least 5 players we need in.