Pars v Wasps (League)

Deutsch Par

In a repeat of Saturday's fixture we once again welcome Alloa to East End Park.  Hopefully we will see one or two faces in the Pars squad as Chris Hamilton being suspended is a worry and we really need to hit the ground running to put the Cup disappointment behind us and if we want to have a good league campaign. 

The best news so far for Saturday is that Charlie D's is open.  Hopefully there will be more good news flowing like the beer does in there. 

• Upvote 2

desperately need a few more options all over the pitch. Midfield options are dreadful. When we took Hamilton off last week we fell apart and lost all control of the game imo.

A starting midfield of Chalmers todd and Allan won't help us win many games this season. Also I can't see how Dorrans would fit into the 433 when he is fit either. 

Would probably try O'Hara as the main striker seeing as he is probably the most instinctive of the 4 options and imo would have done better with a few of the chances we made last week.

Would start MacDonald wide, probably has the best cross in the team. Although I'd hope we sign a natural winger before the end of the week.

• Upvote 1

The problem last season in the transfer market was getting central midfielders in and it is a repeat of that this season. You think our sporting director would have identified this and tried to address it early in the window. 

I am usually excited for a new season starting but I fear this is going to be a very hard season and some of our support are underestimating some of the teams in this league. 

Falkirk and QOS will also be able to add to their squads with the extra income from getting through to the last 16 of the cup. 

We definitely need 5 more signings in if we are going to be up challenging because the players from last season are not good enough.

• Upvote 1

Can’t believe we are going into a league season and the midfield 3 is Allan Chalmers and Todd. Truly worrying after watching the midfield collapse when Hamilton went off on Saturday. Unless we get wingers in asap we’ll struggle as our best strikers are playing out of position. Hopefully by the end of the transfer window, we aren’t playing catch up too much 

45 minutes ago, Superally said:

Downside is Hamilton suspended  however there were a barrowload of chances went begging last weekend. I think we have enough in us to score more than Alloa, we just need to be careful at set plays as this is when they will seek to take advantage.

I wasn't at the game, but to me this is the key. If we weren't making chances I'd be more concerned. If we are, then the tactics and personnel would seem to be doing the job, and we just need either more sharpness or a bit of luck.

15 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

I wasn't at the game, but to me this is the key. If we weren't making chances I'd be more concerned. If we are, then the tactics and personnel would seem to be doing the job, and we just need either more sharpness or a bit of luck.

The strikers need to be more clinical. We could have easily been in the next round of the cup at half time on Saturday and McCann should be scoring that header but he is doing everything else well except from finding the net consistently.

6 minutes ago, rosythpar said:

The strikers need to be more clinical. We could have easily been in the next round of the cup at half time on Saturday and McCann should be scoring that header but he is doing everything else well except from finding the net consistently.

Exactly. And I think if we can just do that (or find a new striker who can be relied upon) then we'll do fine.

Doesn't suggest that the team is fundamentally flawed (although we're obviously pretty thin right now), just that a change in either fortune or sharpness is needed.

21 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

Exactly. And I think if we can just do that (or find a new striker who can be relied upon) then we'll do fine.

Doesn't suggest that the team is fundamentally flawed (although we're obviously pretty thin right now), just that a change in either fortune or sharpness is needed.

Watched a bit of the training at the civil earlier when out with the dog and it looked like we have a centre back and a right sided winger on trial. Hopefully have a few bodies in for Saturday. 

On paper our strike force should be very good for this level but they need to start finding the net.

• Upvote 1

If we assume Mehmet is actually competent and not the keeper we saw this time last year, the main positive is that we look quite solid.  A back 4 of Comrie, Benedictus, Breen and Edwards - with Hamilton sitting in front of them - should mean that we don't lose too many goals.  

The main negative is that it's pretty much a disaster aside from that.  You might be able to get something out of Wighton and O'Hara if they play together, but that would be reliant on the more attacking midfielder and the right and left winger/midfielder being infinitely better than the options currently available to us. 

If you play one upfront, it has to be Wighton, and you can maybe get away with playing Dorrans (if fit) or even Chalmers as long as there's another body in there.  Still the same problem though - no creativity out wide or in the middle.  Todd isn't the answer, and neither is Allan.    

All in all then, we need at least 3 players, all of whom need to bring something to the party with regards to creating chances.  Unfortunately though, I don't think it's that easy attracting that type of player to the league we are in. 

As things stand, we're going to be extremely workmanlike, probably relying on sneaking the first goal and then trying to kill the game and hit teams on the break.  In almost 40 years of watching the Pars, I'd struggle to remember many seasons where we were particularly good at that.   

• Like 1