McPake Interview

PentlandPar

24 minutes ago, Deutsch Par said:

There are some players in the German lower leagues that could be worth a look and wouldn't cost anything in a transfer fee because a lot of the teams from the fourth tier down are amateur. 

Been trying to see if Teutonia Ottensen are amateur or not as they have a Kosovan winger called Diamant Berisha who I was really impressed with, and I was wondering if we could steal him. 

However,  they do have a lucrative German Cup tie against RB Leipzig coming up so probably not. 

I always thought that was going to be part of the German plan, but isn’t there still an issue with Brexit and getting these guys over?  Could be a positive move as the domestic market is clearly very tight and competitive.

The problem bringing players here is that they are not willing to drop down to league one. I think money will be available because we managed to beat other teams to getting Hamilton and Benedictus in. I did mention a few weeks back about having to look elsewhere and use Meggle's contacts to get players. 

Meggle has stated they'd look to bring in players from Europe, although it's now a bit more difficult since Brexit but it's obviously not insurmountable.

But, whatever happens on the player front and additions will be welcomed given we will struggle without any further players. 

8 hours ago, Rossmcno1 said:

I always thought that was going to be part of the German plan, but isn’t there still an issue with Brexit and getting these guys over?  Could be a positive move as the domestic market is clearly very tight and competitive.

We could apply to the work permit exceptions panel to get a work permit for players who wouldn't normally meet the criteria. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Come out and be honest with the fans about our financial position,  it can’t just be our league as we’ve had bigger squads with more quality in this league not too long ago. 

TBH that’s my bigger concern.

Having now heard McPake's interview, I'm more inclined to share your concerns, PFL. Nobody is saying it's easy to attract quality players in League 1, but that's the BoD's job, if they want to mount a serious promotion challenge. The squad we have has done well to gather full points from 3 games, but that can't last.

How long before injuries and/or suspensions begin to bite?

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Having now heard McPake's interview, I'm more inclined to share your concerns, PFL. Nobody is saying it's easy to attract quality players in League 1, but that's the BoD's job, if they want to mount a serious promotion challenge. The squad we have has done well to gather full points from 3 games, but that can't last.

How long before injuries and/or suspensions begin to bite?

If Bene or Breen get injured we will be in a crisis, Hamilton can cover in at the back but is better in the middle. 

33 minutes ago, The Roy Barry Fan Club said:

Scott Allan also open to offers.

He was training with Kelty a week or so ago, you've got to wonder if it was just use of facilities or why he wasn't offered a deal by them? He's keen to play and has been quoted in the papers today as "having an asterisk next to his name". 

It makes you wonder if their are insurance issues, ie his insurance would be astronomical given his previous conditions.

7 minutes ago, Digs said:

He was training with Kelty a week or so ago, you've got to wonder if it was just use of facilities or why he wasn't offered a deal by them? He's keen to play and has been quoted in the papers today as "having an asterisk next to his name". 

It makes you wonder if their are insurance issues, ie his insurance would be astronomical given his previous conditions.

I heard Kelty had offered him a deal? Us and Falkirk also rumoured to be interested in him. 

4 minutes ago, Digs said:

I think Ross McArthur said the Pars didn't insure players against injuries, a few seasons back, because it was too expensive, but then ended up having to pay for a number of private ops, after a freakish run among the squad.

Perhaps our policy has changed since then?

Maybe Allen's wage demands were too steep for Kelly?

I seem to remember that when we had a horrendous run of injuries a couple of years ago the subject of injury insurance was raised at a supporters meeting.

I think it was explained that the club effectively carried its own insurance, as in most seasons the commercial insurance premiums would generally be higher than the payouts. 

Assuming the club is still following this line, it could mean that a high risk player like Allan would be a high risk for DAFC, unless the player himself was prepared to carry some or all of the financial risk.

50 minutes ago, Stanza said:

I seem to remember that when we had a horrendous run of injuries a couple of years ago the subject of injury insurance was raised at a supporters meeting.

I think it was explained that the club effectively carried its own insurance, as in most seasons the commercial insurance premiums would generally be higher than the payouts. 

Assuming the club is still following this line, it could mean that a high risk player like Allan would be a high risk for DAFC, unless the player himself was prepared to carry some or all of the financial risk.

There have been clubs in the past who have refused treatment to players and just let them join the NHS queue. Other times players have a whip round to try raise funds for a teammates surgery. It’s not a policy I agree with tho.