McPake Interview

PentlandPar

4 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

I’d say someone who’s been involved for 20+ years plus at the club has a better idea than either of us. The teams an injury or two away from disaster, imagine Benedictus or breen were out and we’d be completely ****ed. 

I’m sure they would be delighted with you posting their thoughts on a public forum like this?

5 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

Mcpake saying we are close to disaster but your saying not, im sure the manager will know better than any of us

And you’ve just totally misrepresented what I’ve said.  We need more players I agree with that, but I disagree with you going so dramatically to “squads nowhere near ready”.  If that was the case we wouldn’t be 3 wins deep with none conceded.  We can definitely play better and we need more depth for options, but there is the skeleton of a decent team there.

No matter what the manager thinks about his squad, I think he’s out of line being so public about his frustrations.  

8 hours ago, parsforlife said:

The right players being unavailable would almost certainly be linked to the money being offered

Aye, we could sort that by offering these players silly money - like Therangers did when they began life in League 2. Remember Kevin Kyle saying he asked for double what he thought would be a fantastic salary and almost falling out of his chair when Ally McCoist said he could have it?

7 hours ago, Rossmcno1 said:

Was a bit disappointed to hear that from McPake.  That’s not going to help any current negotiations as agents can hear how desperate we are for bodies and price accordingly.  Stuff like this should be kept more in house in my opinion.  It came across like a dig at the board/others as if it was out his hands. 

Aye, it would be better if he didn't vent his frustration publicly, but he's only human. Perhaps it's his way of putting a little bit of pressure on the Board?

I don't agree that this will make agents more difficult to negotiate with - they'll know money's tight outwith the top flight, so they have to be realistic with their demands. Any bleating a manager may make in public is irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Aye, we could sort that by offering these players silly money - like Therangers did when they began life in League 2. Remember Kevin Kyle saying he asked for double what he thought would be a fantastic salary and almost falling out of his chair when Ally McCoist said he could have it?

There is a fair few stages in between struggling to get any deals over the line and having about half a squad to outbidding premiership clubs and giving players a golden retirement.

There’s no need to act like fans/managers wanting there to be a bit more support given to get players in are wanting us to daft and just chuck money at anyone and everyone, it’s a tad silly.

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

There is a fair few stages in between struggling to get any deals over the line and having about half a squad to outbidding premiership clubs and giving players a golden retirement.

There’s no need to act like fans/managers wanting there to be a bit more support given to get players in are wanting us to daft and just chuck money at anyone and everyone, it’s a tad silly.

I was just using a bit of hyperbole to make a point rather than setting out to be silly, PFL. 

We all want to see some quality signings brought in before the window closes, but if they don't want to come or we can't afford their wage demands, what would you suggest the club does?

2 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

I was just using a bit of hyperbole to make a point rather than setting out to be silly, PFL. 

We all want to see some quality signings brought in before the window closes, but if they don't want to come or we can't afford their wage demands, what would you suggest the club does?

Come out and be honest with the fans about our financial position,  it can’t just be our league as we’ve had bigger squads with more quality in this league not too long ago. 

TBH that’s my bigger concern.

The squad we have at the moment is competitive in this league, we can on our day beat anyone in it with these players and particularly this manager, problem is we’re threadbare and any injuries then we’re in a bit of bother.

It looked like we got through that game ok and next up is Kelty who we should be beating after their start so there’s potentially another couple of weeks bought to bring players in.

I was comfortable with McPakes comments and honesty, although was a little perplexed at the timing of it.

We always knew we were short and McPake always called out that he wasn’t concerned, all about getting the right quality in than just anybody to fill a pair of boots and it sounded like there were a few doors open with regards to players, certainly feels like those doors have closed. There was no alluding to lack of funds and I don’t think that is an issue.

He is clearly frustrated, interview didn’t even ask about transfers and at a time where his subs were bang on and main factor in the win to go into it then seemed a little unnecessary.

If it’s true that BoD are more focussed on the academy at the moment, I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing, that absolutely has to be done right as is the foundation for future success at our club. This is maybe partly why we’ve been rather woolly with our ambitions this season and ‘just to start winning games again’.

I’m not too concerned yet and confident we’ll get a couple more over the line shortly. The good thing is, we’re unbeaten and top of the league knowing we are still far away from a complete squad.

Edited by Berry

We havnt been linked to any players. Which says to me there arnt many available, with agents not putting stories in the press like they do every year. I think the announcment of the reserve league has hurt us as well as has the colt clubs. Im sure everyones frustrated, im not sure why the default position is to automatically find someone to blame when it could just be circumstances. Hopefully the right players come up.

Take any of these?

https://www.transfermarkt.com/scottish-premiership/vertragslosespieler/wettbewerb/SC1

Edited by Fifes Elite

I think the board are absolutely pushing on with the academy, I also think they're working on backing the manager, can't believe they're partially ignoring the 1st team.

No doubt we need players and the board need to back McPake I'd say as a matter of priority if we've to maintain a presence in the top 4.

I'm still hopeful of additional signings and in no way dispirited at this point. Top of the league, clean sheets and 3 wins so far. Fans were great yesterday. 

9 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

One player I’d look at is Connor smith at hearts. On loan at Queen’s Park last season and only playing in hearts b team, he’s much better than that. Can play outwide too. For a centre half bring back Efe 🤣

Sol Bamba's without a club at the moment - now that'd be some signing!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Aye, it would be better if he didn't vent his frustration publicly, but he's only human. Perhaps it's his way of putting a little bit of pressure on the Board?

I don't agree that this will make agents more difficult to negotiate with - they'll know money's tight outwith the top flight, so they have to be realistic with their demands. Any bleating a manager may make in public is irrelevant. 

It will.  It’s like going into a negotiation with your position already undermined by one of your own party.  You are right of course that we aren’t alone with money being tight, however I don’t think we need to have underlined our need that publicly.

There are some players in the German lower leagues that could be worth a look and wouldn't cost anything in a transfer fee because a lot of the teams from the fourth tier down are amateur. 

Been trying to see if Teutonia Ottensen are amateur or not as they have a Kosovan winger called Diamant Berisha who I was really impressed with, and I was wondering if we could steal him. 

However,  they do have a lucrative German Cup tie against RB Leipzig coming up so probably not.