Chelsea v Spurs

GG Riva

A nightmare performance from referee Anthony Taylor and the VAR, deprived Chelsea of a deserved win in yesterday`s London derby.

Spurs first equaliser came after Taylor failed to award Chelsea a free kick for a clear foul by Bentancur on Havertz. VAR said too long had elapsed (44 seconds) between the foul and the goal, to reverse the decision. What nonsense! Is there a time limit in the Laws of the Game? The goal was further clouded by Richarlson standing in an offside position, at least partially obstructing Mendy`s view in the Chelsea goal.

Even worse was to follow. In the build up to Spurs second equaliser, Cucurella clearly had his hair violently pulled, yet neither Taylor nor VAR saw fit to issue a red card.

2 hours ago, GG Riva said:

A nightmare performance from referee Anthony Taylor and the VAR, deprived Chelsea of a deserved win in yesterday`s London derby.

Spurs first equaliser came after Taylor failed to award Chelsea a free kick for a clear foul by Bentancur on Havertz. VAR said too long had elapsed (44 seconds) between the foul and the goal, to reverse the decision. What nonsense! Is there a time limit in the Laws of the Game? The goal was further clouded by Richarlson standing in an offside position, at least partially obstructing Mendy`s view in the Chelsea goal.

Even worse was to follow. In the build up to Spurs second equaliser, Cucurella clearly had his hair violently pulled, yet neither Taylor nor VAR saw fit to issue a red card.

The whole thing showed what a joke VAR is in that league. They couldn't use VAR for the hair pulling incident, violent conduct, because that doesn;t fall under the criteria for VAR's use 🤷‍♂️ Apparently it's only for working out if the strikers nostril hair is in an offside position...

I can see why the Richarlison one should have been given but I also see why it wasn't. Goalie should be saving that, and he had a clear view of the shot when he took it, if not the entire flight of the ball. Was he interfering in that case? Maybe's aye, maybe's naw. 

Week after week we get examples of how much of a joke VAR is - exactly as predicted by people who were against it from the start.

Arbitrarily not intervening because too much time has passed, ignoring absolutely obvious fouls because they don't count, making offside into a farce where you almost need an electron microscope to make decisions (and then get them wrong sometimes anyway), causing the endless tinkering with the handball rule to the point where whether or not it's an offence depends on where you are on the pitch and which team you play for. 

Its an absolute mess, exactly as predicted.

Can't wait for it to be hamfistedly implemented here, midway through the season... 🙄

VAR is absolutely ****e and should be binned but given it is in use they were absolutely spot on not to intervene and disallow a goal because of a foul that happened nearly a minute prior for goodness sake. I’m honestly flabbergasted that anyone would suggest otherwise. Hopefully @GG Rivais trolling because his comments on that issue are some of the most ridiculous I’ve ever seen. 

2 minutes ago, Raymie said:

I would ask why the ref couldn't see Cucarella being thrown to the ground, at very least, in his peripheral vision, just ten yards away?

VAR is a good concept but they way it's being used, is seriously flawed

I know what you mean but I thought he was clearly looking at the ball when yo see the replay, but in that case he was clearly just ball-watching as I'd imagine the entire reason for taking up that position would be to take in the entire box?

I'm not a ref but the position they take up is so they can see the players and see the ball when it's crossed in? Not much difference than when defending a corner as a player?

How often do refs blow the whistle at corners and fans think "what's that for" because the fans are watching the ball, but the ref is watching for something catching his eye in the box?

Taylor definitely at fault for me and VAR for not correcting him

Edited by Raymie

30 minutes ago, Raymie said:

I'm not a ref but the position they take up is so they can see the players and see the ball when it's crossed in? Not much difference than when defending a corner as a player?

How often do refs blow the whistle at corners and fans think "what's that for" because the fans are watching the ball, but the ref is watching for something catching his eye in the box?

Taylor definitely at fault for me and VAR for not correcting him

Aye, that's what I'm saying.