Mehmet and Breen

Superally

I know we are desperately short of squad players, however I do think its worth the mention that we do seem to have a solid spine of players to base the team on. Mehmet and Breen were both players signed by the previous incumbents and struggled in a team that lacked confidence and were both wildly off the mark in terms of their performance to an extent that even the most loyal of fans questioned their place in the team. The transformation of both under McPake this season has been a revolution and along with Benedictus have given us three clean sheets in the league and confidence at last that we might be difficult to beat. Breen has been a threat at set plays defended well and now you expect him to carry the ball up the park. Mehmet seems more assured the players around him appear to be confident in his ability and his three clean sheets are well deserved. Indeed, the appt of Alan Main will have helped. Its good to see players who badly struggled last year have done well and it should be recognised.

• Upvote 10

Pybus should not have been kept, couldn't lace Hamilton's boots and other than running around more than the other midfielders last season, he was a shocking player overall. Not a miss and glad he is gone.

Mehmet and breen have started ok, Mehmet has been better at commanding his area and made a couple of decent saves, but nothing any half decent keeper should be doing.

Breen still doesn't look great at times and the bigger forwards have got better of him a few times, but he is good at carrying the ball forward out of defence and has ability to pick a pass.

Edited by the saline hill puma

Hmm I’m with the puma on this one.

Lots of running around but little productivity in his spell for me.  How much of that is due to the players around him and systems/manager input I’m uncertain, but he never impressed me.  Yes lots of movement and effort, but he lacked for me the ability for a good forward pass, and his dribbling was poor.  He was a bang average player in a poor team, and frankly I was pleased that he wasn’t offered a new deal.  To be fair though apart from Edwards and the young trio of McCann, Todd and Allan, I wouldn’t have particularly missed any of last seasons crop of players….the ones that have made it to this season can redeem themselves to an extent with instant promotion.

43 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Pybus is/was better than Todd and Allan.  I don't know how anyone that watched the games last season could disagree.

Hopefully the two boys from the youth set up can progress though - and they've got a couple of years on Pybus, so the chance is there for them.

Think Todd and Allan will progress to play at a better level than Pybus.  Time will tell but I think Todd will have a very strong season this season, shame about Allan’s injury.

You can’t really compare Pybus to Todd, they do different roles.

Thought Pybus gradually improved over time with us and was coming onto a game but we made the right decision if it meant bringing Hamilton in as he’s just a superior player and is gradually bringing a goal threat to his game.

Breen I’ve been impressed with, I think having someone like Benedictus as a defensive partner really helps his game and gives him the confidence he needs, still definitely improvement required but I’m more sold on him than I originally was.

Mehmet…still not convinced, he hasn’t really had much to do so far this season which is testament to the ten players in front of him. Comes across more confident but part of me is just waiting for that big clanger to arrive.