Yet another bit of tradition binned - no replays in Scottish Cup 22/23

SanguinePar

I like playing to a finish, but it's a sore one for smaller clubs who might rely on a good cup run with an away tie for a payday, are now less likely to get one. Also, ties could be over in the first half if a team gets a man sent off. It's easier to claw a game back to a draw from ten men than it is to win it or play 120 mins and stay in the game.

It was always going to come though after it being removed as it eases fixture congestion.

• Upvote 1

Not a fan of this.  And, to be honest, I think the Scottish Cup is still a great competition.  The FA Cup is completely tin pot now due to the riches of the premiership - with 7 or 8 sides competing for the Champions League and the rest fighting to stay in the league.

In contrast, aside from Celtic and Sevco, a Scottish Cup victory is the ultimate achievable goal for every FT in the country.  Not many have managed it over the last 30 years or so but some have, and plenty more have made it to the final and put up a fight.

1 hour ago, Digs said:

I like playing to a finish, but it's a sore one for smaller clubs who might rely on a good cup run with an away tie for a payday, are now less likely to get one. Also, ties could be over in the first half if a team gets a man sent off. It's easier to claw a game back to a draw from ten men than it is to win it or play 120 mins and stay in the game.

It was always going to come though after it being removed as it eases fixture congestion.

This. Said the same talking to my mates from work. I have good memories of us forcing replays against the old firm for example. It sort of felt like a win

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Deutsch Par said:

I imagine that every SFA member club would have had a vote so no considerably more. 

Only those in tier 5 and above,  the rest don't have voting rights. 

Agree with the overall sentiment,  I like replays but there are circumstances when they can be a bit ****, like when its a team in the same league.

3 hours ago, Digs said:

A bit saddened for the reasons Digs outlines above, but perhaps a smaller club, drawn at home, now has a better chance of going through on pens, than if they were taken to a replay. A big pay day, no doubt, but an inevitable scudding by 5 or more goals. 🙁

19 hours ago, Eastendtales said:

So you'd imagine that there are a large number of smaller clubs voting to bin replays. Possibly due to small squad sizes and cost of floodlights in winter months, travel etc?

I think there’s a bit of a squeeze from both ends,  you have clubs, particularly those in European football wanting them gone for fixture congestion,  and then you have clubs who face early round replays without significant financial benefit but with issues you mentioned( I think the travel would be the biggest part), clubs like ourselves are probably 50/50,  the hassle of midweek replays against clubs in our own league vs the taking the bigger premiership clubs to replay. 

On 19/08/2022 at 17:15, parsforlife said:

I think there’s a bit of a squeeze from both ends,  you have clubs, particularly those in European football wanting them gone for fixture congestion,  and then you have clubs who face early round replays without significant financial benefit but with issues you mentioned( I think the travel would be the biggest part), clubs like ourselves are probably 50/50,  the hassle of midweek replays against clubs in our own league vs the taking the bigger premiership clubs to replay. 

Yeah, I think a lot of part time teams struggle with the travel and time off work thing. Scheduled midweek fixtures are one thing, but if they are taken to a replay a week later which is the case usually, that might present problems for players getting time off, arranging travel both particularly big issues if the teams are geographically far apart. They are a headache. Teams, depending on who the games are against might even lose money.