Players required

Piracy

6 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

If that's the case, then he needs to be paying more attention. Brexit was 2 years ago. If he's going to be finding signing targets then he needs to be more on top of the rules.

When he mentioned it at the time the rule was you could only bring foreign players over if they had been capped internationally, Gaspuitis for example but he was recommended by Skerla.

The rules have changed a bit now and I thought we would have used Meggle's contacts when we are clearly struggling in the market here.

15 hours ago, Piracy said:

McPake said directly to me (supporters night) that the Board had backed every potential signing he'd tried to make to that point. I have no reason to disbelieve that answer. 

However, the issue is we've no additional players since his initial 5 signings which has us at a disadvantage given we're going to hit injuries and suspensions.

Like I said the other day on here, we don't have any additional players coming in then I'll inrepret that as a failure. 

11 hours ago, GG Riva said:

I don't disbelieve that either, but as you say, we haven't managed to bring these targets in. None of us knows why and we can only speculate that these players don't want to play in League 1, they've secured a better contract elsewhere, or the club has been unable to meet their wage demands. This may be regarded as a failure, but no blame can be attached to anyone at the club, unless you believe we should sign some bench warmers who aren't good enough to aid our promotion drive.

I believe that McPake deliberately rolled back on comments he'd made a week or so earlier where it appeared he placed his frustrations at the board  IMO he was told directly or indirectly to pull back.   There is also a difference between backing a signing,  making calls and putting low ball offers in,  and fully supporting it trying their absolute best to put whatever package needed together.   I feel we've done much more of the former than the later.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I believe that McPake deliberately rolled back on comments he'd made a week or so earlier where it appeared he placed his frustrations at the board  IMO he was told directly or indirectly to pull back.   There is also a difference between backing a signing,  making calls and putting low ball offers in,  and fully supporting it trying their absolute best to put whatever package needed together.   I feel we've done much more of the former than the later.

You might not be a million miles off with your musings, p4l. The manager did come across as very frustrated a few weeks ago and has since toned things down remarkably, given we didn't sign anyone else in the interim period. Whether he was told to, or whether he thought it might cost him his job we don't know and we're unlikely to be told any time soon.

Of course it may be that you've added 2+2 and got 64. 😉

9 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

You might not be a million miles off with your musings, p4l. The manager did come across as very frustrated a few weeks ago and has since toned things down remarkably, given we didn't sign anyone else in the interim period. Whether he was told to, or whether he thought it might cost him his job we don't know and we're unlikely to be told any time soon.

Of course it may be that you've added 2+2 and got 64. 😉

No way of knowing. 

I also can't help but feel finances are a huge part of this. Our income will be significantly down this season in terms of away crowds, prize money and sponsorship (stadium rights included?). Falkirk will be the only team bringing anything meaningful whilst Edinburgh and Peterhead will be double digits possibly.

I hate this thinking but we could do with a good cup run and a decent away game with a chance of a big crowd, just to help the coffers. Beating Celtic away live on TV for example. 

• Upvote 2

There’s speculation that relegation will cost us £400k ?

I’ve also heard rumours that all the layers of approval mean we have not been able to get offers out quick enough or substantial enough, especially when negotiation needs to take place. ? 

Whatever the reasons, we are in trouble if we can’t add some senior players to a squad already light of two first team players for lengthy periods

Edited by Raymie
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Raymie said:

There’s speculation that relegation will cost us £400k ?

I’ve also heard rumours that all the layers of approval mean we have not been able to get offers out quick enough or substantial enough, especially when negotiation needs to take place. ? 

Whatever the reasons, we are in trouble if we can’t add some senior players to a squad already light of two first team players for lengthy periods

Yep with an investment every approval has to go through each investor and it can take time depending on where everyone is located or on holiday etc. 

This could mean a player is wanting to sign but trying to get approval could take a while. 
Plus there is the extra cost of the academy going on so I think our investors have a lot of big decisions to make…. Unless they can bring in fresh money?