Pars v Airdrie

Superally

5 minutes ago, Piracy said:

Well I've a feeling pertinent questions will get asked tonight. 

Perhaps you can let us know how closely your gut reaction mirrors the questions, Piracy? I can't make it tonight, but I hope every fan in attendance comes out feeling better than when they went in,

13 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Perhaps you can let us know how closely your gut reaction mirrors the questions, Piracy? I can't make it tonight, but I hope every fan in attendance comes out feeling better than when they went in,

I think they'll disclose some meaty information,  haven't worked out oif it's gonna be good or bad 😂

11 hours ago, Deutsch Par said:

There is no way in hell we are well covered at CM.  

I think Dorrans is done, Mochrie isn't our player and could be subject to a recall, especially if Jack Ross gets punted.

That leaves Hamilton, Allan and Todd, and we can't be putting too much on Allan and Todd.

Unless there are more midfielders I have forgotten about

Chalmers. 

We have Allan, Hamilton, Chalmers and Dorrans who all operate best as the deepest midfielder. 

Byrne isn't going to come in and play as an 8, or a 10, if you did it'd absolutely stink of trying to fit square pegs in round holes. 

It's not that we're just covered in centre mid (which we are) we're especially well covered in the role that Byrne plays. 

Meanwhile we have no natural backup at left back, one backup option at centre back and only wide player. Why on earth are we even discussing Byrne? Our recruitment has been absolutely stinking for years, and one of the biggest problems was the scattergun approach Grant took to his signings, players signed without any idea or clue as to how he'd fit them in a team. 

Finally Robertson would be a similarly, pointless signing. 

43 minutes ago, Grant said:

Chalmers. 

We have Allan, Hamilton, Chalmers and Dorrans who all operate best as the deepest midfielder. 

Byrne isn't going to come in and play as an 8, or a 10, if you did it'd absolutely stink of trying to fit square pegs in round holes. 

It's not that we're just covered in centre mid (which we are) we're especially well covered in the role that Byrne plays. 

Meanwhile we have no natural backup at left back, one backup option at centre back and only wide player. Why on earth are we even discussing Byrne? Our recruitment has been absolutely stinking for years, and one of the biggest problems was the scattergun approach Grant took to his signings, players signed without any idea or clue as to how he'd fit them in a team. 

Finally Robertson would be a similarly, pointless signing. 

Whilst I agree we may have more pressing positions I don’t agree we are well that covered in midfield, particularly for cover for Hamilton in the defensive role(which IMO is a different role to what  Dorrans, Allan or chalmers do which is more as a playmaker) 

Bryne would play that role better than any of our other center mids and would also add quality if he came into the other more free roaming central roles.

Yes it doesn’t cover us for AM but we’ve never played a system with that role under mckpake. 

With a commitment to a 3 man midfield, one of the options facing 3 months out and another option dodging between one injury and the next before he finally hangs the boots up I don’t think 1 more would be excessive.  But that’s only if we still have room in the budget to still bring the more pressing positions in as well.

Kinda similar to the Little signing in that, we were probably more likely to get away with 1 senior keeper than 2 senior center backs or 0 wingers, but it was still a deal we got done that improved the squad.

We have multi millionaire owners who want the best for the club and we are scratching about in the bargain bins looking for players.

Previously we have had a loyal fan paying a large percentage of Stevie Crawfords wage because he wanted the best for the club.

I’m not saying we should be sniffing around SPL players, but a little bit more ambition in where we are looking and a little more speculation to building a team that will be playing in the Championship will go a long way in showing the fans the club has got expectations and ambitions and I’m sure JM was told something similar when he took the job.

He certainly isn’t here because he loves the Pars he came here to rebuild his managerial career and take this league at a canter and make a showing in the Championship earn us some compensation and move on potentially to bigger and better things with our thanks and blessings,

With Byrne, the other argument is that he could be a good fit for the medium term future.  We agree that he walks into our team at the moment and, if we signed him on a deal until Summer 2025, that gives us Byrne and Hamilton as a pairing for the next 3 seasons. 

Presumably Dorrans, Chalmers and Mochrie won't be here past the end of this season, so it means we're not scrambling around this time next year, trying to add to our options - and I'm still not convinced that Todd and Allan can kick on and play regularly in a team that competes at the top of the Championship.  Hope I'm wrong though.

Re where that leaves the squad at the moment, Chalmers or McDonald would be the work around if Edwards gets injured.  Not sure when Chalmers last played there, but he seemingly has experience of it.  McDonald or Todd would be the back up plan if Comrie is unavailable.  At centre back, Fisher and Hamilton can fill in - as can Comrie if we play 3-5-2 (which would make more sense if Byrne signed).

All in all then, there is some logic to it.  Play three centre backs, Hamilton and Byrne are the more defensively minded midfielders, allows Edwards and McDonald/Comrie to bomb on up the wing, Mochrie is the more attacking midfielder, supporting whichever two strikers look less bad in training that week - probably Wighton (when properly fit) plus one other.

It's not ideal - I'd prefer a fit and motivated Dom Thomas on the left and a Paul McMullan on the right, but that's not where we are.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Piracy said:

Airdrie will play a more open game than other teams who prefer to sit in more against us. I think that will present us with scoring opportunities. Changed my mind now from earlier this week. 

I'm going 3-1 Pars. 

After last night I changed my mind too. I think 2-1 pars. See the Airdrie fans aren’t happy with the prices we are charging. One claimed it’s because we know they’ll bring a good support we are taking advantage 😂😂

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

After last night I changed my mind too. I think 2-1 pars. See the Airdrie fans aren’t happy with the prices we are charging. One claimed it’s because we know they’ll bring a good support we are taking advantage 😂😂

Lucky we don't charge them for the white cloaks too, knuckle draggers. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kelty_par said:

I've seen several of them on P&B saying it won't be more than 300. Cute.

Personally I think it will be more and the club are expecting double that, which is about right I think.