Minute's Silence

GG Riva

Whether football matches in Scotland are postponed this weekend or not, following the death of the Queen, there`s sure to be a move to observe a minute`s silence when games resume.

How well this will be observed in this country, is anybody`s guess. I think it may vary from one ground to the next. There can be little doubt that the Royal Family is not held in such high regard North of the border as it is in England, although many Scots did have a soft spot for the Queen herself.

Individual clubs will be in a no win situation. If they don`t hold a minute`s silence for fear that their fans won`t respect it, they`ll be panned by the media. If they do hold it and their fears prove correct, there will be even more outrage.

If they have it, then everyone just stay silent. You can turn your back if there's some requirement to protest or show a lack of approval.I t's pretty simple. 

From a personal perspective I don't care for the monarchy as part of the establishment. I certainly don't care for the family. The Queen was born into that role, groomed for it and carried out her role with dignity. Therefore I can offer her respect in death. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

Apparently they had one at Tynecastle last night and some eejits started shouting through it, so others started singing "God Save the Queen" which was met by loud booing.

I could see this being replicated at some grounds. Quite embarrassing. 

Let's be honest, there's not going to be one ground in the country where this will be observed perfectly. Even the 'Queens 11' will have their idiots where this is concerned.