Pars v Bairns

Superally

If there ever was a consolation of last season’s debacle it was after many years we face our long rivals in Falkirk. Subsequently on Saturday the Pars welcome the Bairns for the first time in many years. The Bairns have had a torrid time since dropping down the leagues and appears to be encamped in this league unable to progress. They have a new manager in John McGlynn who will know the Pars well from last season, however while the Bairns have been the busier team in recruitment over the summer they sit 5th in the table. They have had three wins a draw and two losses. With last weeks games cancelled their last outing was a 2-0 defeat to Kelty Hearts. In the process they have scored 9 goals one more than the Pars but conceded 8 giving them a GD of +1. Falkirk undoubtedly will be the Pars biggest challenge this season in a race for the promotion place and with last weeks lay off a wee bit of momentum will have been lost for both teams. However, the Pars have the better form thus far and in front of perhaps the biggest crowd of the season and playing at home it all points to being a happy Saturday night for Pars fans. 2-1 Pars win COYP

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, rosythpar said:

It is up to the home clubs if they play the national anthem or not on Saturday.

I'll be honest, I'm not a monarchist, at all, and I wouldn't have any issue with it, I'm perfectly capable of keeping my opinions to myself if for no other reason than good manners. However, everyone is not me, and I reckon there would be a potentially embarrassing outcome no matter what way it is recognised. You'd have people who dislike it because they believe in a republic, you'd have people booing because it's GSTQ(K), it's just a massive minefield and all the clubs are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Also 2-0 COYP

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Digs said:

I'll be honest, I'm not a monarchist, at all, and I wouldn't have any issue with it, I'm perfectly capable of keeping my opinions to myself if for no other reason than good manners. However, everyone is not me, and I reckon there would be a potentially embarrassing outcome no matter what way it is recognised. You'd have people who dislike it because they believe in a republic, you'd have people booing because it's GSTQ(K), it's just a massive minefield and all the clubs are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Also 2-0 COYP

I agree with that. It was always obvious that her death would be a big deal. It is what happens after that I am more concerned about.

Saying that, there must be other ways of paying tribute. Perhaps Stephens could introduce Swan Bridies on to the menu for the day of the game.

4 minutes ago, the saline hill puma said:

Folk have plenty options for paying respect to the old ****, no reason to do anything at a football match. Just get on with the game.

Therein lies the problem. There are so many ways meaning everyone feels they need to be seen to be doing something, or worse others insisting that they should under threat of heavy criticism. As I said, damned if they do, damned if they don't.

36 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

Booing GSTK would not be embarrassing in the slightest. 

Whether it is, or it's not, isn't really the point. We've had 5 days of the grief police already, and it's fairly obvious now Charles could take a huge dump in the middle of the Royal Mile and folk would still say it's not acceptable to make any sort of protest 'out of respect', a phrase which has been used over the past week to argue against any dissent or justify any sort of odd performative grief. 

I won't boo it, but I certainly won't be standing up either. Folk are (rightly) free to stand up, sing it and observe it if that's what they want to do, and equally people should not be forced to partake in something they don't believe in just because they happen to be present at an event that has nothing to do with any of that. 

Those who do want to take part though will absolutely have something to say to those who vehemently vocally disagree with them and that's where the problem lies. It's completely divisive and it's naivety to think otherwise.

• Upvote 1

Whether our club decides to mark the occasion with a minute's silence or applause or even a rendering of the English/UK anthem, none of us will have a say. I'd rather it didn't do anything at all, but that's a non starter as the media would be all over it. I'll sit quietly in my seat until it's over. I hope we don't embarrass ourselves like some Hearts fans did last Thursday.

All I really care about is that we beat that scummy shower and put even more distance between us. Tensions and emotions will be running high. I expect a close game but I think we can edge it. 2-1.