The Pars v The Wasps

Superally

The Pars head away to Alloa and Recreation Park (or whatever it’s called!) this Saturday and it promises to be a juicy fixture. Despite the Pars being top of the table Alloa have a real sting and found some form of late, over the past 4 games they are considered to be the form team in the table remaining unbeaten and with three wins and a draw. In the process they have scored 12 where the Pars have scored just 6 and with both teams conceding only 4. The Pars stoic defence remains their most positive feature and overall they remain unbeaten but over the last 4 games with an insipid attack they have managed just 3 draws and a single win. I think this is not unreasonable to think that this is perhaps the most crucial fixture thus far and with the last outing between the two sides ending in a 1-0 Pars win this game may be too close to call. I’m tempted to think once again another draw is probably the most likely result and with Edinburgh just a point behind in the table - the last few minutes of the Peterhead game might be something we regret if Edinburgh top the table at the weekend. There is always hope, but realism suggests a 1-1 draw for me. COYP

• Upvote 1

A hard away game and I think our first defeat could be incoming. We are top of the league but our performances haven't been overly impressive.

McPake is going to have to make changes, McCann and Wighton should be dropped. McCann misses too many chances for a striker.

Fisher could get his first start,our centre backs looked a bit suspect on Saturday.

Mochrie is looking tricky but needs to start getting his shots on target. Should have buried his chance vs Falkirk. 

Hamilton should be on from the start.

Edited by rosythpar

The players should be familiar with the pitch, which is an advantage? Lots of rain around, which should make it play better and allow for passes to be zipped around?

A draw is the most likely outcome. None of our strikers would scare me if I was playing against them.

I'd like to see Hamilton come into the centre and Todd play wide instead of MacDonald. 

For Mahon to get a game, he's going to have to play with one striker and have Mochrie playing in behind, in a free role. It's worth a try because we create very little with the current set up.

A toss of the coin who gets the nod. Both strikers have their limitations.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Raymie said:

The players should be familiar with the pitch, which is an advantage? Lots of rain around, which should make it play better and allow for passes to be zipped around?

A draw is the most likely outcome. None of our strikers would scare me if I was playing against them.

I'd like to see Hamilton come into the centre and Todd play wide instead of MacDonald. 

For Mahon to get a game, he's going to have to play with one striker and have Mochrie playing in behind, in a free role. It's worth a try because we create very little with the current set up.

Good chance we can go 4-2-3-1 now which should allow decent attacking support from midfield.

From a defensive side of things, Mehmet, Comrie, Benedictus, Breen, Edwards and Hamilton should always play.  The only caveat to that is that I've not seen Sam Fisher play, so it's not out the question that he is better than Breen.

Of the remaining 5 places, Mochrie starts, but I'm not convinced anyone else is a definite.  Mahon seems to have some pedigree, so hopefully he can show something and cement a place in the team.

1 hour ago, Raymie said:

That sounds about right for me. 

I'd be fine with Mehmet and the Back four all starting, and Mochrie and I also don't get the hate for Chalmers. Hamilton should play but I guess they are kind of similar which is why it's one or the other. I reckon somebody needs to have a chat with Matty Todd and tell him he's not a CM. He only plays there because McPake asked him his preference, when it was clear to anyone with eyes he was far more effective, both defensively and offensively, getting goals too, at RB last year, when he came on a ton.

For me, McCann and Todorov can both be dropped. Second touch is a tackle for the pair of them. You get hard work out of McCann that occupies defenders and willing from Todorov but that's about it, some of Todorov's finishing and general play is woeful. If I was pushed, I'd play Todorov and Wighton, with Wighton through the middle. He's not and never will be a midfileder in any capacity and I feel he's being chucked under the bus a bit due to the formation McPake wants to play but still thinks he can offer something in the team. That being the case, Wighton up top with McCann to do the running might then be the best option.

We can't keep wasting the good balls that are going into the box. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, rosythpar said:

A hard away game and I think our first defeat could be incoming. We are top of the league but our performances haven't been overly impressive.

McPake is going to have to make changes, McCann and Wighton should be dropped. McCann misses too many chances for a striker.

Fisher could get his first start,our centre backs looked a bit suspect on Saturday.

Mochrie is looking tricky but needs to start getting his shots on target. Should have buried his chance vs Falkirk. 

Hamilton should be on from the start.

McCann didn’t miss any on Saturday.  Todorov on the other hand…. 😱

32 minutes ago, Digs said:

I'd be fine with Mehmet and the Back four all starting, and Mochrie and I also don't get the hate for Chalmers. Hamilton should play but I guess they are kind of similar which is why it's one or the other. I reckon somebody needs to have a chat with Matty Todd and tell him he's not a CM. He only plays there because McPake asked him his preference, when it was clear to anyone with eyes he was far more effective, both defensively and offensively, getting goals too, at RB last year, when he came on a ton.

For me, McCann and Todorov can both be dropped. Second touch is a tackle for the pair of them. You get hard work out of McCann that occupies defenders and willing from Todorov but that's about it, some of Todorov's finishing and general play is woeful. If I was pushed, I'd play Todorov and Wighton, with Wighton through the middle. He's not and never will be a midfileder in any capacity and I feel he's being chucked under the bus a bit due to the formation McPake wants to play but still thinks he can offer something in the team. That being the case, McCann up top with Wighton to do the running might then be the best option.

We can't keep wasting the good balls that are going into the box. 

Wighton to do the running?......

Hmmmm 🤔