Joe Chalmers

Piracy

Is an asset to this team, in fact he's becoming important to this team. I liked the look of him in flashes last season, so I'm glad he's having a good season so far and shutting up his doubters. There are some absolute weapons in our support who are still ignorantly chastising the guy, not needed. 

Come on Joe. 

• Upvote 7

Didn’t like him at all last season.  He played occasionally well(Ayr at home) but was largely a negative influence to our side, his passes were nearly always backwards or at best sideways. Out of possession he shat out of challenges and didn’t burst a gut to get back in position.

He’s a completely different player this year, he passes positively whenever he can, he brings quality often and whilst he isn’t the best in the tackle will happily throw himself in. His extra determination is a big benefit.

Does show a different manager can get more out of certain players.  

Chalmers like every player at this level will take the odd bad touch or misplaced pass  but he’s now on the right trajectory. He may never get rid of his biggest doubters who won’t let go of last year but I’ll be delighted if he keeps his current standard up. 

Edited by parsforlife
  • Upvote 1

It just shows the dross management we had last season. Can you imagine playing under Peter Garant then the walloper Yogi comes in spouting his nonesense… the players must have thought wtf! 
McPake has made them a solid team in this division. 
The only team in the British leagues still unbeaten after Man City lost today. 
I like Chalmers as he keeps the game flowing with easy passes going forward and tracks back. The whole team work hard for each other.

Glad to see Mehmet doing well in goals aswell. We are lucky to have a good GK coach in Alan Main on board.The 2 GK are always doing extra training.

Edited by Secure Par
  • Upvote 5

There’s no question Joe’s performances are of a higher standard. The best element is that his movement and passing now comes with a purpose to try to get the team higher up the park. I do wonder how much of last season’s poor performances were down to John Hughes apparent obsession with retaining possession above any other target.

Without wanting to appear negative, there is another possibility, which is that Joe has found his level. In any case, he is by far our most experienced midfielder and has become an important part of the team and long way that continue.

• Upvote 1

Chalmers is 28 and has over 200 appearances for clubs in the Championship and Premier League during that time.

It's probably fair to surmise that he can do a job for a team at a higher level than the one we're at and should be a relatively permanent fixture in a League One starting XI.

No doubt helps when we've the majority of the ball and looking to win every game rather than scrapping it out in a relegation battle.

• Upvote 2

I like the 3-5-2 with Mochrie playing off a striker.  I think it gets our best players on the park and it makes us look extremely solid.  

With Benedictus, Fisher and Breen all playing and Hamilton shielding in front, you get the feeling that we are not going to lose many goals.  The only issue, from my perspective, is that I'd like to see what Robbie Mahon can do and it would maybe require a change of shape to accommodate him. 

Mind you, McPake is clearly happy to change formation.  I don't think Hamilton was at all bad on Saturday, it just seemed that the manager felt that there was no need for him with Edinburgh sitting so deep and sacrificed him for a more attacking option - so maybe Mahon will get a bit of a chance coming off the bench.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I like the 3-5-2 with Mochrie playing off a striker.  I think it gets our best players on the park and it makes us look extremely solid.  

With Benedictus, Fisher and Breen all playing and Hamilton shielding in front, you get the feeling that we are not going to lose many goals.  The only issue, from my perspective, is that I'd like to see what Robbie Mahon can do and it would maybe require a change of shape to accommodate him. 

Mind you, McPake is clearly happy to change formation.  I don't think Hamilton was at all bad on Saturday, it just seemed that the manager felt that there was no need for him with Edinburgh sitting so deep and sacrificed him for a more attacking option - so maybe Mahon will get a bit of a chance coming off the bench.

Agree on all you said, He should go 4-3-3 against celtic and see how the new boys are, be good to have a plan B

Aye, I am really torn on that game.  On the one hand, we should probably all boycott games involving the Colts teams.  On the other hand, I like an evening game, it's at East End and there's a chance to see lots of the fringe players in a competitive match. 

I presume most of the boys on loan are unavailable though?  I know Mochrie played for Utd B and I am pretty sure Ritchie-Hosler has played in the competition for Sevco Colts.  

3 hours ago, rosythpar said:

He has a  good footballing brain. He is my grandads favourite player at the moment and we both think the midfield looks good with him and Hamilton in it. 

You just beat me to it rosythpar I've always liked him and cant understand why he got and still gets so much abuse from a certain group of people

He is by far the best football brain in the team and he is starting to make the team tick with his constant switching play and going forward

Good on him he deserves the plaudits 

He does - and he was scapegoated somewhat last year - but if he's playing badly, his style of play is such, that it is going to be more pronounced than someone like Matty Todd for instance.  Chalmers is never going to be charging about for 90 minutes making up for an off-day by covering 15km in a game.  

I didn't think he was as bad as made out last season, and I don't get the mentality of some of our fans who lose their sh*t over some of our players at the smallest of things, but he also wasn't great in many of the games.  If he'd been offered a contract by someone like Morton or Hamilton in the summer and the club had let him go, I doubt even the more measured members of our fan base would have been too upset by it.  

• Upvote 5

18 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

He does - and he was scapegoated somewhat last year - but if he's playing badly, his style of play is such, that it is going to be more pronounced than someone like Matty Todd for instance.  Chalmers is never going to be charging about for 90 minutes making up for an off-day by covering 15km in a game.  

I didn't think he was as bad as made out last season, and I don't get the mentality of some of our fans who lose their sh*t over some of our players at the smallest of things, but he also wasn't great in many of the games.  If he'd been offered a contract by someone like Morton or Hamilton in the summer and the club had let him go, I doubt even the more measured members of our fan base would have been too upset by it.  

Don't go bringing common sense into this!