Lafferty Banned

Superally

14 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Lafferty is a total f@nny. As someone in the public eye, he should be setting a good example to football fans around the country, instead of promoting sectarian nonsense which takes this nation backwards.  

I agree on the last part, but I also don't buy this 'footballers should be role models' stuff. The vast majority of footballers are working class boys who left school with very little and will, a lot of the time, not be the brightest. I've been in plenty dressing rooms, intelligence is something that is in short supply a lot of time. In short, expect footballers to do stupid things.

It's not up to him to set an example, it's up to him to not put himself in those situations in the first place. I'm not saying he shouldn't enjoy himself, the idiots who came up to him are as much to blame, but it comes with the territory. If you can't be trusted in situations like that, especially if you are relaxed and having a drink, don't go.

If you insist on going and let yourself down then accept the consequences and if you come out with sectarian p*sh when you're drunk, it's fair to say you buy into it when you're sober, in which case, he deserves everything coming his way. This isn't the first example of him being an absolute chopper.

I really don’t agree with the idea he just needs to watch himself.  Yes that’s general advice for those of a public profile, and had he been filmed calling the guys ****ing arseholes that advice would be fair.  But his choice of language is absolutely unacceptable, this isn’t behave yourself on nights out time,  this is your a grown ****ing adult have a bloody word with yourself and sort your behaviour out. 

Night out, in a coffee shop or in your own home nobody should be coming out with that language. 

Edited by parsforlife

9 hours ago, Digs said:

I agree on the last part, but I also don't buy this 'footballers should be role models' stuff. The vast majority of footballers are working class boys who left school with very little and will, a lot of the time, not be the brightest. I've been in plenty dressing rooms, intelligence is something that is in short supply a lot of time. In short, expect footballers to do stupid things.

It's not up to him to set an example, it's up to him to not put himself in those situations in the first place. I'm not saying he shouldn't enjoy himself, the idiots who came up to him are as much to blame, but it comes with the territory. If you can't be trusted in situations like that, especially if you are relaxed and having a drink, don't go.

If you insist on going and let yourself down then accept the consequences and if you come out with sectarian p*sh when you're drunk, it's fair to say you buy into it when you're sober, in which case, he deserves everything coming his way. This isn't the first example of him being an absolute chopper.

I very rarely disagree with any of your posts, Digs, but this is one time. Anyone in the public eye has an obligation to conduct themselves in a exemplary manner, because members of the public - especially children and young people  - will look up to them as role models. Stereotyping footballers as intellectually challenged, in no way excuses or justifies unacceptable behaviour. Surely it's enough to remind them regularly that they are looked up to and have a duty to the club they represent and to their fans to conduct themselves in a manner which is a credit to their profession.

21 hours ago, GG Riva said:

I very rarely disagree with any of your posts, Digs, but this is one time. Anyone in the public eye has an obligation to conduct themselves in a exemplary manner, because members of the public - especially children and young people  - will look up to them as role models. Stereotyping footballers as intellectually challenged, in no way excuses or justifies unacceptable behaviour. Surely it's enough to remind them regularly that they are looked up to and have a duty to the club they represent and to their fans to conduct themselves in a manner which is a credit to their profession.

Never said it excused him, I said it’s unrealistic to expect them to behave at all times.

I also disagree that there is any obligation for them to behave. It’s their job, if they decide to make an arse of themselves then they should face the consequences. Expecting them to be perfect just because they kick a ball makes no sense. We all have an obligation to our employers to not embarrass them, being a footballer doesn’t elevate that.

3 hours ago, Digs said:

Never said it excused him, I said it’s unrealistic to expect them to behave at all times.

I also disagree that there is any obligation for them to behave. It’s their job, if they decide to make an arse of themselves then they should face the consequences. Expecting them to be perfect just because they kick a ball makes no sense. We all have an obligation to our employers to not embarrass them, being a footballer doesn’t elevate that.

It’s obviously unreasonable to expect footballers to be perfect at all times.  It’s absolutely reasonable to expect them not to be bigoted cunts at all times, that’s an expectation we should place on everybody regardless of their job.

3 hours ago, parsforlife said:

It’s obviously unreasonable to expect footballers to be perfect at all times.  It’s absolutely reasonable to expect them not to be bigoted cunts at all times, that’s an expectation we should place on everybody regardless of their job.

I never said he was right or that he’s not an ****hole. I just said it’s unrealistic to expect them to be role models just because they kick a ball about. 

On 21/10/2022 at 09:42, Digs said:

the idiots who came up to him are as much to blame,

Can I ask why you think that’s a reasonable conclusion to draw because it reads very much like victim blaming to me? Would you draw the same conclusion if “the idiots who came up to him” were black and Lafferty had racially abused them? If not, why not?

Edited by Keyser Soze

A typo. That should have read 'come up to him' as there has been several instances where their intentions were clear. Either way, neither set of people, on either side, on any occasion something like this happens and sectarianism is involved is innocent. They always know what they are doing and it is deliberate, anyone who says otherwise is naïve at best.

If he doesn't react, they love to tell their equally bigoted pals they gave him a GIRUY. If he does, they get what they wanted. Either way, it's getting plastered on their social media platforms for the consumption of like minded halfwits. That goes for any similar situation involving one of the ugly sisters from Glasgow and any of their players, but it's more prevalent for him as he's known for this sort of idiocy.

You already know all of that of course, so there's not really much point in continuing to labour the point.