The Pars v The Bully Wee

Superally

After last Saturdays victory against Grangemouth FC, East End Park will be truly “bouncing” in anticipation of welcoming The Bully Wee to the Pars next home fixture. Clyde sit 9th in the table with 7pts a single point ahead of Peterhead occupying the automatic relegation spot. Clyde in the process have won 2 games this season losing 11 scoring 16 goals and conceding 30. After a reasonable start to the season the form guide places them at the bottom of the table having lost their last 10 fixtures and apart from a couple of routs most of them have been by a single goal. The Bully Wee have had a managerial change around with Danny Lennon stepping down and weeding his garden. Old Pars stalwart Allan Moore steps up from his coaching role and takes over and on their last outing they lost out by a single goal against Airdrie. The Pars can only have taken massive encouragement from their 1-0 away win against title rivals Falkirk. Manager McPake has introduced a bit of guile and resilience to this Pars team who appears to be tactically flexible in approach to differing games. The Pars remain top of the league by 6 points with the best GD. The miserly defence has been their best asset and while the team doesn’t score that many goals in their previous 10 games they have only failed to score once but they have the ability to wear teams down and often a single goal is all you need. Last outing between the two teams was a 2-0 away win with goals from Wighton and Todd. Last season you would almost be scared to consider 3 pts from banker fixtures but not in this case. 2-0 Pars win

• Upvote 1

As always, a comprehensive and informative OP from S'Ally.

On paper, a home banker and a racing certainty - except that there's no such thing. The last time we wanted to put our house on a Pars home win was the Peterhead fixture, a few weeks ago - how did that end up again? 🤔

I think Clyde will probably sit in, with 8 or 9 players behind the ball and look to nick a goal from a counter attack or a set piece. It worked quite well for St Johnstone yesterday. 😄

We'll have lots of possession but we'll need to use it wisely if we're to win. 10 defeats on the spin can't be far off the record in senior football, although I think Stirling Albion may have topped that in 1980/81, if "topped" is the right word. Clyde's fans must be hoping their team's nightmare run will end soon. I'll be happy for them to extend it to 11 and then tank the next team they play 5-0. 😁

2-0 Pars for me.

31 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

I’ll go for 2-0 pars too. Hope Edinburgh beat Falkirk and we can extend the gap on them to 10 points 

My heart says yes to this, but my head says it would be better for Falkirk to win, so our lead would be 7 points. I'll settle for them drawing (with a lot of red cards!)

As long as we win though, not too bothered what they do. I think we will, and I'm going 3-0 Pars.

31 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

although I think Stirling Albion may have topped that in 1980/81,

Just looked that up, and they actually only lost 4 in a row that season, albeit that happened 3 times: https://www.footballdatabase.eu/en/club/team/3736-stirling_albion/1980-1981

Meanwhile, in England, Sunderland went on a 15 game losing run in 2002/03

19 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

Didn't that Brechin side take a point off Falkirk or Raith that season? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Brechin_City_F.C._season

Yep - Livingston, Dundee Utd, Falkirk and Morton were the four they drew against, losing every other league match.

Their last point of the season came on 6 January and had they not scored in the final match (a 5-1 defeat to QoS), then their last goal would have been on 17 March!

And just because it's a dreich Monday afternoon, here's their aggregate scores against each team in the league that season:

Dumbarton..................................7-2
Dundee United...........................11-2
Dunfermline Athletic.................12-1
Falkirk..........................................8-2
Greenock Morton.......................8-2
Inverness Caledonian Thistle...15-2
Livingston...................................10-4 (good buddy)
Queen of the South...................13-3
St Mirren.......................................6-2

Pars had the best defensive record against them and 3rd best attack.

Hopefully we can get maximum points from the next two games before the Scottish cup fixture. 

These are the kind of fixtures that if we can avoid slip ups we will be in with a great chance of being champions.

The good feel factor seems to be back around the club again,so going for a 3-0 pars win. 

2 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

Not even close - Brechin managed 16 losses in a row at the end of the 17/18 season (and had they not managed a point against Morton, that record would have been 24 in a row!)

Ooft! I'd totally forgotten about Brechin - the worst team ever to play in the Championship. 

2 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

Just looked that up, and they actually only lost 4 in a row that season, albeit that happened 3 times: https://www.footballdatabase.eu/en/club/team/3736-stirling_albion/1980-1981

Meanwhile, in England, Sunderland went on a 15 game losing run in 2002/03

My recollection was that the Pars were absolutely dire that season and only avoided relegation because the Binos went about 9 months without winning a game in 1981 - they obviously picked up the odd draw.

Who was the Sunderland manager during that dreadful sequence?

Edited by GG Riva