The Pars v The Bully Wee

Superally

4 hours ago, GG Riva said:

As someone who has played the game, you'll know how easy it is to lose your balance if you're suddenly pushed while running. I get that football is a contact sport and some players fall over when an opponent breathes on them, but a hefty push is a foul and that looked like a hefty push to me. 

Btw, some wee guys are amazingly strong - well, I used to be anyway.🙂

🤣 I'll take your word for it pal.

That's my point though, he had no awareness where he was until it was too late when his first concern should have been to get himself between him and the ball and so by the time he did realise, it was too late, making it really easy to push him over. It wasn't a hefty push though. I'd be shouting at my daughter for getting pushed about like that 🤣

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

He's came across to cover Bene's mistake, that shouldn't be looked over.

Agreed. Bene had no reason to go for a ball he wasn't going to win. It was an example of the sort of mistakes he has been prone to during his career that I was worried about when we signed him. Thankfully though this season they have been few and far between and he's been pretty solid for the most part and is part of the reason we have conceded so few goals.

However, it was all the more reason for Josh to get himself between the striker and the ball though, he put himself off balance when he could have stayed on his feet, ran it out, or got across him after the ball had dropped, he's easily got the pace to do that and the striker still had work to do even if he did win the ball ahead of him (which he wasn't going to)

It doesn't detract from the fact he also made an error. It was a hail mary challenge for me when he had other options. 

At the end of the day, the reason McPake will be more annoyed, and he's already said it, is down to the high standards the likes of Edwards and Bene have set for themselves and collectively this season, because that wasn't it. That in itself is a compliment.

31 minutes ago, Digs said:

Agreed. Bene had no reason to go for a ball he wasn't going to win. It was an example of the sort of mistakes he has been prone to during his career that I was worried about when we signed him. Thankfully though this season they have been few and far between and he's been pretty solid for the most part and is part of the reason we have conceded so few goals.

However, it was all the more reason for Josh to get himself between the striker and the ball though, he put himself off balance when he could have stayed on his feet, ran it out, or got across him after the ball had dropped, he's easily got the pace to do that and the striker still had work to do even if he did win the ball ahead of him (which he wasn't going to)

It doesn't detract from the fact he also made an error. It was a hail mary challenge for me when he had other options. 

At the end of the day, the reason McPake will be more annoyed, and he's already said it, is down to the high standards the likes of Edwards and Bene have set for themselves and collectively this season, because that wasn't it. That in itself is a compliment.

I thought Josh did get himself between man and ball,  which normally means once contract happens a free kick is a near certainty.   

The freekick wasn't given and defenders should naturally try and take the least risky option ,  going down after the contact was the bigger risk.  Edwards wins us quite alot of freekicks doing similar to what happened at the first goal, which is normally the correct decision, however with the risk increased due to him being much closer to goal than normal he should have focused more on standing up to the challenge,  certainly with the hindsight of no foul being awarded!   Its a mistake,  but nowhere near as much as the 2nd goal.

11 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Just got round to watching the highlights now. Unbelievable, that some folk think that the lead up to the first goal wasn't a foul. A clear push in the back with his forearm, it's a foul all day long and incredible that the ref missed it. The two pens were correct awards. 

Sorry as well GG  .. Watched it a few times and cannot see a clear foul ..  thought our guy got his feet mixed up 

The Ref was well positioned 

On 15/11/2022 at 18:12, buspasspar said:

Sorry as well GG  .. Watched it a few times and cannot see a clear foul ..  thought our guy got his feet mixed up 

The Ref was well positioned 

I suppose this incident perfectly illustrates how difficult it is to referee a game. We've had the benefit of looking at it again and still can't agree. I thought it was a foul at the time and still do. Had the ref given a foul, I don't expect many of us would have been thinking we got lucky then.

Still and all, the refs at this level are pretty pish. 😃

• Upvote 1