Cristiano Ronaldo

Deutsch Par

I can't see him playing for United again, unless he makes a grovelling apology and that's very unlikely. 

He's looked after himself very well, had a fantastic career and is a contender for the GOAT. It was never going to work with Ten Hag. He expects every player to work their socks off for the team. Ronaldo didn't even do that 10 years ago, never mind now. 

Another manager may have asked the other players to work that bit harder and leave Ronaldo to put the ball in the net and that can work - Filippo Inzaghi scored 30 Serie A goals for Atalanta, playing as a penalty box poacher but when he got a move to Juve, he was told he'd have to muck in with the other players.

If you looked up the definition of 'Working your Ticket' there would be a link to that video. He knew exactly what he was saying, and what to say. He's hoping Utd would rather offload him to give him his wish to leave than pay his ridiculous wages. I don't think he even believes half the stuff he said. 

In his early Man Utd days he was great to watch but I'm sure Sir Alex would have kept a check on him.  Now a bit older and off the pace due to his age its like he cannot handle that he is coming to the end of his career and is taking it out on anyone who dares to say anything bad about him.

Its his arrogance that he still believes he is the best that annoys me and thinks he can say what he thinks. Man Utd have gone the right way in dealing with him but I think he will still be pocketing 500k a week wages for a while sadly.

Edited by Secure Par

I've always liked his unwavering belief in himself, as it's the main reason he has achieved what he has in the game and is easily one of the best to have ever played the game. That's not even an argument, and if you are that good, you are allowed to be a bit like that. I think you've earned that right.

I do feel he's working his ticket a bit here but I also saw it mentioned elsewhere reminding people that he lost his son at birth not too long ago, and I have to wonder how much of that is to do with this. It affects the Dad just as much as it affects the Mum.

The reason I'm saying that is whilst he was always supremely confident, and rightly so IMO, he was a model professional. He was a winner, he looked after himself, and he dragged a fairly mediocre Portugal team to pretty decent heights for long periods of his career, but now with the things he's saying about walking out at Tottenham, that "he's not that type of player" to help his team out by coming on for 3 mins to waste time, or calling Wayne Rooney a rat, that's not a professional, and isn't commensurate with what a good pro is or does. I also think that no matter how arrogant you are, it's obvious to anyone with eyes what Rooney did for him at Utd when they formed a formidable partnership, by Rooney basically sacrificing himself for the good of the team, to accommodate how Ronaldo plays. He must SURELY recognise that himself?

As I said, in the current world of 'Be Kind' etc, it's worth asking some questions about what has driven him to be acting the way he currently is. I don't accept that it's just because he's big headed because he rarely comes across that way, well the way he is believed to be by many, in one to one interviews.

• Upvote 1