Qatar World Cup

GG Riva

Well, only 6 days to the start of Qatar 22. I've been lucky enough to watch every WC since 1966 and always looked forward to every previous one with eager anticipation but I'm not feeling the love at all for this one, for all sorts of reasons:-

Over $6 million paid out in bribes to secure the bid against competition from Australia, USA, Japan and S. Korea.

Over 6,500 deaths of immigrant workers during the building of the WC stadia, due to non existent health and safety precautions, not to mention the squalid conditions they were all forced to endure.

The prohibitive summer temperatures, meaning it has to be played late in the year and it won't be exactly cool.

The absence of Scotland and Italy, meaning no team to support. 

Not planning to watch any of the group games live, but I may watch the odd highlights programme and maybe some of the knockout games. I think the vast majority of fans around the world would agree that Qatar should never have been awarded the WC. FIFA has a lot to answer for, but I blame the major football nations for not taking a stand immediately after the vote was announced and telling Blatter and Co. they wouldn't be going.,

A WC without the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France, Spain, Italy and yes, even England would quickly have brought about a rethink from FIFA. The delegates who voted for Qatar might even have been obliged to give the money back.....

10 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Honestly believe anyone who watches a single second of this is an absolute disgrace and is actively supporting homophobia. 

Ooft! That's the very epitome of a quantum leap, Kaiser - not that I believe you're being completely serious for a nanosecond. 🤔

Homophobia is reprehensible in the extreme, but watching a game of football on TV hardly puts anyone in the "actively supporting" it camp. You might be able to make a flimsy case if you were referring to those who are heading to Qatar and I include those participating in the tournament as well as the fans.

A country smaller than New York and not much bigger than Cyprus. No history of football. Shameful death toll of migrant workers attributed to their world Cup bid. Abysmal attitude toward fellow beings and human diversity. Stupidly hot and full of not a lot more than sand. All that allied to the bribes to win the bid. Suffice to say I'm not giving it any air time. 

• Upvote 2

Some absolute nonsense decisions already. Not sure who is doing VAR but it’s clearly not anyone who knows anything about fitba.

Second offside in the Argentina game yesterday was given because his arm was offside. How can that be offside if you can’t score with your arm? Where is the advantage? Get in the bin.