Jan transfer gossip

Superally

53 minutes ago, Rossmcno1 said:

Airdrie and Falkirk bud.  We’ve played 21 games while most of the rest of the division have played 23.  Hence the term “games in hand”.   

that’s what I understood from what digs was saying.  Not sure why you’re getting so upset?

Any minute now......careful

22 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

We were 7 points clear for goodness sake. It shouldn’t be a toss of a coin but that’s exactly what it is now.  The very fact we’ve let it become a coin toss is a disgrace . 

Admittedly, being 7 pts clear is better than 5, but we're still in pole position and I'm certain Falkirk and every other team in this league, would be delighted to be in our position. 

Our squad is a bit threadbare in some positions, but it's held up pretty well so far. We won't win every week, but neither will Falkirk. Let's just see what happens on a game by game basis. Plenty of time for recriminations if it all goes tits up, but hey, it might never happen.

I believe the manager did try to bring in a couple of quality players in January but they didn't happen due to factors out with the club's control. Unfortunate but not his fault. Should he have identified an exhaustive list of players who could get us over the line?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Admittedly, being 7 pts clear is better than 5, but we're still in pole position and I'm certain Falkirk and every other team in this league, would be delighted to be in our position. 

Our squad is a bit threadbare in some positions, but it's held up pretty well so far. We won't win every week, but neither will Falkirk. Let's just see what happens on a game by game basis. Plenty of time for recriminations if it all goes tits up, but hey, it might never happen.

I believe the manager did try to bring in a couple of quality players in January but they didn't happen due to factors out with the club's control. Unfortunate but not his fault. Should he have identified an exhaustive list of players who could get us over the line?

Hopefully he gets a body or two in the loan window, his interview is pretty clear he was the one making the call not to sign for the sake of it.

18 hours ago, Number Eleven said:

Confirmed on the club website as a 1 year extension. I think his play this season merits that. 2 more years was a bit much given his performance at Championship level last season. 

I see the website has now been updated to state it’s a 2 year contract and the Joe Chalmers interview states he is here until the end of 2024-25. Hopefully Joe’s upturn in form continues.

52 minutes ago, Number Eleven said:

I see the website has now been updated to state it’s a 2 year contract and the Joe Chalmers interview states he is here until the end of 2024-25. Hopefully Joe’s upturn in form continues.

Can see why. If we don’t go up he’s still a starter and if we do go up he’s a good squad option to have 

20 hours ago, Number Eleven said:

Confirmed on the club website as a 1 year extension. I think his play this season merits that. 2 more years was a bit much given his performance at Championship level last season. 

I’ve seen this said a few times. If we’re using his form last season as a barometer to his ability overall then we need an entirely new squad next year. 

The team as a whole was rotten last year but this season we hammered one Championship side, drew over 90 mins with another after battering them, and were decent, again missing a load of chances against another that is challenging for the title and he played in every one of those games. 

It’s broken logic to automatically say that he isn’t good enough for that league based on last year as that team vastly underperformed last year, got relegated, when they should have been challenging at the top.

Capability wasn’t the problem.

34 minutes ago, Digs said:

I’ve seen this said a few times. If we’re using his form last season as a barometer to his ability overall then we need an entirely new squad next year. 

The team as a whole was rotten last year but this season we hammered one Championship side, drew over 90 mins with another after battering them, and were decent, again missing a load of chances against another that is challenging for the title and he played in every one of those games. 

It’s broken logic to automatically say that he isn’t good enough for that league based on last year as that team vastly underperformed last year, got relegated, when they should have been challenging at the top.

Capability wasn’t the problem.

But I haven’t said that. You’ve read a lot into my post that isn’t there.

If we get promoted this season he may prove to be an asset in the Championship and if not we’re only committed for a year. If we don’t get promoted he’s proved capable at this level. At 29 he has little upside so no need to put him on a long term contract.

9 hours ago, Number Eleven said:

But I haven’t said that. You’ve read a lot into my post that isn’t there.

If we get promoted this season he may prove to be an asset in the Championship and if not we’re only committed for a year. If we don’t get promoted he’s proved capable at this level. At 29 he has little upside so no need to put him on a long term contract.

I wasn’t necessarily speaking about your post specifically, I did say I’d seen lots of similar comments.

The inference is clear though, you’re saying an extension that guarantees him Championship football with us is risky specifically due to his performances last season in the championship. That’s literally what you said, so I’m not sure how I’m reading too much into it?

Your first reply to me stated:

22 hours ago, Digs said:

It’s broken logic to automatically say that he isn’t good enough for that league based on last year 

After I called you out and further explained my position you’ve restated your characterisation of my post as:

12 hours ago, Digs said:

The inference is clear though, you’re saying an extension that guarantees him Championship football with us is risky specifically due to his performances last season in the championship. That’s literally what you said, so I’m not sure how I’m reading too much into it?

There’s a big difference between claiming someone ‘automatically…isn’t good enough’ and saying an extension is risky ‘due to his performances last season in the Championship’. The latter is a very logical position.

So you’ve changed your wording materially to justify your criticism of my post. You may have meant this as general criticism but it was my post you quoted and you got my position wrong.

For what it’s worth I agree that to assume Joe couldn’t play well in the Championship purely based on the games he played for us last year is flawed.