Brighton v Liverpool

GG Riva

I watched the last 15 mins of their game at the Amex and as a completely unbiased, former SFA ref I would have issued the Reds 3 matching Valentine cards. As it was, the ref awarded 2 yellows. I can't understand why VAR can't get involved outside the box for a serious omission by the ref. McAllister was clean through, just outside the box and 1 on 1 with the goalie, so Konate just poleaxed him with a forearm to the neck. Wasn't fussed who won beforehand but delighted for Brighton. Could this be the year they make up for the "Smith must score" final? 

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I didn't watch the game so can't comment on any of those incidents.  But on the point of VAR, if the situation with McAllister is correct then VAR can intervene as it is a potential red card offence for DOGO.

The commentator said VAR couldn't get involved because it happened outside the box. Crazy.

1 minute ago, Al k said:

They were lucky with those decisions. Just bin VAR, you bring it on and still get them wrong. What's the point?

Lucky doesn't begin to cover it, Al. It was scandalous. I'm tempted to say corrupt, but perhaps the ref was just really poor. He shouldn't get another top flight game after that performance. So glad Brighton nicked it at the end.

I find it astounding that the BBC report makes no reference to the crude and dangerous tactics employed by Liverpool players in the latter stages of the game. The raking, studs up "tackles" by Fabinho and Robertson could have resulted in serious injuries and should both have been reds.

I thought "omerta" was a tradition exclusively enjoyed by the Mafia.